How old when toy guns.

How old when toy guns.

This is a discussion on How old when toy guns. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As a side note to the thread running now asking how old when you first started shooting. How old were you when you used to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How old when toy guns.

How old when toy guns.

As a side note to the thread running now asking how old when you first started shooting. How old were you when you used to play with these

Bass Pro Shops Peacemaker Toy Cap Guns and Holster Set for Kids

I know I was very young and don't think I had a problem, but how do teach children makebelive shooting each other cowboy indian style and the responsibility of a real gun.

I suppose you explain the real gun around 7 when they are more mature but do you still let them shoot each other with the snap caps or nerf guns?

Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    As a side note to the thread running now asking how old when you first started shooting. How old were you when you used to play with these

Bass Pro Shops Peacemaker Toy Cap Guns and Holster Set for Kids

I know I was very young and don't think I had a problem, but how do teach children makebelive shooting each other cowboy indian style and the responsibility of a real gun.

I suppose you explain the real gun around 7 when they are more mature but do you still let them shoot each other with the snap caps or nerf guns?

It's no fun playing "cowboys and indians", "cops and robbers", or "war" if you can't shoot the bad guys!

Toys are toys.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    It's no fun playing "cowboys and indians", "cops and robbers", or "war" if you can't shoot the bad guys!

Toys are toys.
    But how would that conflict with you teching them not to point guns at people?

Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    But how would that conflict with you teching them not to point guns at people?
    Not at all. Toys are toys. Guns are guns. I was taught the difference, as was my daughter........who got her first .22 at age 8 btw.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Ok. Cool. I was just thinking ahead for when I have children.

Boy the world is such a different place than it was just 35 years ago. All my friends had toy guns, we all played "war" and "cops&robbers" etc. And none of us were ruined by it. We even knew the guns we were using were toys. Shocking I know!

I'm all for protecting children, but I think we are going way too far in recent years. I doubt you can even buy "cap guns" today, though I have not looked.

Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    Boy the world is such a different place than it was just 35 years ago. All my friends had toy guns, we all played "war" and "cops&robbers" etc. And none of us were ruined by it. We even knew the guns we were using were toys. Shocking I know!

I'm all for protecting children, but I think we are going way too far in recent years. I doubt you can even buy "cap guns" today, though I have not looked.
    I couldn't find any through toyrus or walmart, so figured BassProShops would have them.

I grew up just fine, but I just wanted to hear from those who have raised children to see if it causes a problem with the 4 rules. Im only 21, no kids yet.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I also grew up playing mostly war and cops & robbers. Very rarely did I ever play cowboys & Indians, and this was in the 90s. I played maybe 1-2 hours of video games on the weekends, and when I wasn't being punished for something I did wrong, I was outside in the woods making forts and armed to the teeth with toy cap guns, squirt guns, even those Nerf guns that shoot the suction cup foam darts. I remember my favorite squirt pistol was a neon yellow Beretta 92, although I think a kid in my neighborhood took it and broke it on purpose. I can see why it was my favorite now that I have the real thing LOL! I did go through quite a few cap guns too, they almost always broke after a few weeks of owning them.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I never had toy guns.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I had a lot of toy guns when Iwas a kid.(late 50's early 60"s) It was just common place and not an issue. For me personally I knew the difference. My dad hunted. I would watch and sometimes help skin/butcher animals. This was a reality check between play and real. When my son was little, my wife didn't want him to have toy guns. She let me get him a BB gun around 9. Then she bought him a Makorav when he was 15.....Go figure

I had a boatload of Mattel toy guns....Fanner 50's or something like that as well as others. We all played "Army" in the neighborhood, but knew and were taught that it was only "play" and never, ever use a real gun unless it was for self defense.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

kpw
    Toy guns didn't have the orange cap on the barrel when I was a kid. My neighborhood was filled with boys my age and we all had huge collections of toy guns. We'd show them off to our buddies like us grow-ups do now. One kid even had a belt-fed .30 cal Browning. Very cool!
    We all pretty much new the difference between toys and real guns at a very early age. Most of us had fathers that taught us but some of my friends first exposure to firearms was in Cub Scouts.
    Teach your kids well and start early.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Toys are not guns. Make sure kids know the difference.

Just let kids be kids...don't worry about toy guns.

Control T.V. viewing time...
    Have plenty of family time together...
    Eat dinner together...
    Do lots of things WITH your children...
    Develop within in your children a love of God and country...

Stay armed...be a good role model...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I grew up with toy guns. Clint Howard (Ron's brother) was never seen without his toy cowboy rig on the Andy Griffith Show. I always knew the difference between toys and real guns because my parents taught me the difference.
    I just snickered when I saw that Bass Pro couldn't ship their toy rig to California or New York.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links