Help with steering.

Help with steering.

This is a discussion on Help with steering. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My neighbor, a guy that is quite a bit younger than me, although our boys are the same age, has expressed an interest in getting ...

Help with steering.

My neighbor, a guy that is quite a bit younger than me, although our boys are the same age, has expressed an interest in getting himself a pistol. We have been talking for what seems like months, he has been looking on various web sites and checking prices, ect.

Well the other day I took him out to shoot. He has not shot a handgun since he was 12 or so, so basically he is a brand new shooter. Previously he had thought he had his heart set on a PT111, so I brought mine along with my 24/7, the Bersa Thunder, and my wifes G19. I left the DW 1911 at the house since he is going to be on a pretty limited budget for this firearm. For kick I snuck in the Redhawk 44 mag.

Anyway I started him out on the Bersa, then went to the PT111, the 24/7 then the G19. He found the PT111 was not nearly as good feeling as the 24/7 which he really liked the best. He didn't like the feel of the G19, but actually he probably shot better with it than either of the Taurus. He said he liked the sights better.

Well after a bit of those, I decided I would blow off a few of the 44 mag rounds. That caught him by surprise needless to say. I asked him if he wanted to try it, he was hesitant at first, but then did and surprisingly didn't even mind the hot hunting loads too much. Well the short thing is, he is confused about what he wants now. He actually liked shooting the Redhawk the best.

I know he isn't going to want a 44 mag, but I kick myself for not bringing the GP100 and letting him shoot it. If he likes the revolvers better, should I try to get him out and let him play with the GP100 since it will shoot closer to the Redhawk, and is a reasonable round for a general all around gun?

I know, a long post, but I want to steer him towards something he will be happy with since I doubt he will turn into a gun guy, and is pretty limited on the funds for what might be a good hobby for him. I have offered to let him reload whatever he wants on my equipment. So after his purchase, he will be able to shoot for a reasonable price.

Thanks for the input.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

if he liked revolvers let him try a sp101 or a j frame in 38+p
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

I think the GP-100 would be perfect. I have always thought a persons first handgun should be something along the lines of a four inch "K" frame S&W in .357. I think it is one of the most flexible platforms as it has a long enough sight radius for most people at defensive ranges yet is still small enough to conceal. Also with the range of ammo available from light target loads in .38 special all the way up to magnum hunting loads it is quite versatile.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Great. Now you have him CCing a .44 mag. (J/K)

If he shoots a revolver better, he should consider a S&W or Ruger .357 mag.

VIP Member
    It depends what he wants the gun for. If it is going to be a carry weapon the .44 mag is a bad choice. If just for target shooting and home defense, it wouldn't be my choice, but it will work. I'd take him back out with the GP100 and let him shoot it. With the right carry gear the GP will work well for both carry and target shooting.

Administrator
    A GP100 or 686 sounds like it might be just the ticket for him. It sounds like another range trip is in order.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I don't think he is looking for CC, at least right now, just to get into the pistol market.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    A GP100 or 686 sounds like it might be just the ticket for him. It sounds like another range trip is in order.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Well I talked to him tonight and I think we may head to camp on Saturday afternoon. I have to pick up some wood from one of my dads friends that are selling their house to move into a retirement community, so I figured I would take him with me and let him try the GP100. I might bring the 1911 this trip just for kicks, but those are going to be out of his price range I am sure.

I called a client this evening that has his FFL, and he has a SP101 in stock for 500 and a Ruger P95 for 400, both out the door prices tax included. Those don't seem like bad prices in todays market. He is going to check to see what a GP100 will be and if there is one available. I have not been to his shop yet, so it will give me a chance to look over his place if we stop by there on the way back from camp.

If nothing else, it will give me a chance to get a few more rounds off and him a few different guns to try.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Well just got back with the neighbor from one of my clients gun shops. This is the first time I have been out to his new shop.

He came home with a Ruger SR9 stainless, for 500 bucks including tax out the door. I guess based on todays prices that is ok.

He was torn between the SR9 and an SP101. He said a revolver would be next on his list. Either one was a decent choice in my book.

So, we now have one more new gun owner in our fold.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Links