Another reason to not visit the People's Republic of New Jersey.

Another reason to not visit the People's Republic of New Jersey.

This is a discussion on Another reason to not visit the People's Republic of New Jersey. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Came accross this and it confirms I won't be taking any vacations that take me through NJ. February 27, 2006 - The Association of New ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another reason to not visit the People's Republic of New Jersey.

Thumbs down Another reason to not visit the People's Republic of New Jersey.

Came accross this and it confirms I won't be taking any vacations that take me through NJ.

February 27, 2006 - The Association of New Jersey Rifle & Pistol Clubs, Inc. (ANJRPC) announced that it has commenced a lawsuit against the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and one of its police officers for wrongfully arresting and imprisoning for nearly five days a 57-year old Utah man delayed at Newark Airport by a baggage error while traveling from Utah to Pennsylvania.

The lawsuit seeks more than $3 million in damages for civil rights violations and a permanent injunction forcing the Port Authority to follow Federal law on interstate transport of locked, unloaded firearms that have been secured in luggage and declared by law-abiding citizens.

The Utah man, Gregg Revell, a real estate broker and family man with no criminal record and a Utah firearms permit, was flying alone from Salt Lake City, UT to Allentown, PA to retrieve a car he bought and drive it home. He was travelling with a firearm for personal protection. As required by Federal law, the firearm was unloaded, cased, locked and inside his luggage when he declared it at check-in in Salt Lake City on March 31, 2005.

Due to an airline-caused baggage error, Mr. Revell missed his connection from Newark to Allentown and had to stay overnight in New Jersey. When he checked in at Newark Airport the next morning to complete his travels, he again declared his firearm, as required by FAA regulations. He was then arrested for possession of a firearm without a New Jersey state license, and imprisoned in Essex County jail for five days until his family arranged bail, which had been initially set unusually high at $15,000 cash (no bond).

But Mr. Revellís travels were protected by the Firearms Owner Protection Act, a Federal law passed in 1986 to protect law-abiding citizens who travel with firearms. (See 18 U.S.C. ß 926A.) That law trumps state and local gun laws and protects interstate travel with firearms under certain circumstances, all of which were present in Mr. Revellís case. Several months after the arrest, all charges were withdrawn and the prosecutorís case administratively dismissed.

"The Port Authority blatantly violated Federal law when it arrested Gregg Revell," said Scott Bach, President of the Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clubs and a member of the NRA Board of Directors. "Those charged with enforcing the law have a special responsibility to follow it themselves," Bach continued. "Mr. Revellís arrest is part of a pattern of similar misconduct by the Port Authority throughout the New York-New Jersey metropolitan areas."

"This lawsuit is intended to send a signal not only to the Port Authority but to every agency and officer responsible for policing our airports and highways: if you violate the rights of law-abiding gun owners, you will be held fully accountable." The lawsuit also names the arresting Port Authority police officer, Scott Erickson, as a defendant.

Once inside Essex County prison, Mr. Revell was subjected to numerous atrocities. He was thrown into a holding cell with 28 inmates, many of whom were admitted murderers and rapists. He endured a repulsive vomit-covered bed and toilet, was denied his blood pressure and migraine medication, innoculated against his will, given inedible food, strip-searched, and left only with his wits to survive.

"I did nothing wrong yet was arrested and subjected to the worst treatment imaginable for almost a week," said Mr. Revell, who has 8 children, 8 grandchildren and has been married for 36 years. "I brought this lawsuit together with the Association of New Jersey Rifle & Pistol Clubs because I want to stop this kind of abuse from ever happening again," said Revell. "No one should ever have to experience what I experienced," he said. "I paid the price, but Iím committed to making sure no one else does."
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Dispicable.
    Mongo only pawn .... in game of life.

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    Thanks for the story.

In case anyone is wondering . . .

18 USC ß 926A

Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter [18 USC ßß 921 et seq.] from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

1943 - 2009
    I hope Mr. Revell wins his lawsuit, but more to the point, I hope his record gets completely cleared, so that any reference to his alleged "crime" never comes back to haunt him in the future.

We've all heard horror stories about the difficulties in removing one's name from a government database.

When youíre wounded and left on Afghanistanís plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Lead Moderator
    Holy crap! I've heard rumors of things like this happening over in the NYC airports. Can't wait to see how this one turns out.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Thankfully I never have to fly to the NYC area airports any more. Just one more reason why I'm moving west and will avoid flying to any NE state that won't honor my rights and permits.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Forget rumors. It Really Happens.
    They once busted a Texas Ranger on assignment as he got off the plane and went to pick up his gun.
    You know that Federal thing about travel?
    Well, New York and New Jersey do NOT recognize it and never have. To my knowledge this is the first time somebody has made a Federal issue of it. It will pay to watch how this plays out.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Assistant Administrator
    Mr. Revell was subjected to numerous atrocities. He was thrown into a holding cell with 28 inmates, many of whom were admitted murderers and rapists. He endured a repulsive vomit-covered bed and toilet, was denied his blood pressure and migraine medication, innoculated against his will, given inedible food, strip-searched, and left only with his wits to survive.
    That is a horror story. I certainly hope very much this guy gets recompense and that the upholding of the law takes a turn for the better as a result.
    Well, New York and New Jersey do NOT recognize it and never have.
    This had better be a wake-up call to prevent such a travesty from happening again.

Erich - thx for that info on the law.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Well, New York and New Jersey do NOT recognize it and never have.
    Perhaps that act of withholding Federal funds to the states that refuse to reconize Federal law would be the thing to pursue.

They once busted a Texas Ranger on assignment as he got off the plane and went to pick up his gun.
    It often appears that common sense is DEAD in those two states escpecially when dealing wit hthe Port Authority. It seems that they have more than their share or horror stories.

Ya, know friends this is really stupid you would think with terrorism and the rise in crime that the country would go nation wide with CCW. I tell thats why I don't travel to states that don't allow me to protect myself.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

A Real Atrocity

This law abiding citizen was treated worse than some others in Gitmo. No wonder the mainstream media didn't touch this story. I hope this news gets all over the country but I'm not going to hold my breath. Schumer, Bloomberg, et al conveniently stay clear of this.
    Last edited by P95Carry; March 7th, 2006 at 09:52 PM. Reason: small typo adjustment

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter
    You know that Federal thing about travel?
    Well, New York and New Jersey do NOT recognize it and never have. To my knowledge this is the first time somebody has made a Federal issue of it. ... AFS
    Chicago also feels itself to be above Federal law. Mayor Daley recently announced that Chicago would not recognize the rights of police and former police to carry concealed under Federal law. Amazing, isn't it, how these totalitarian S.O.B.s want laws imposed and enforced upon the common man but feel they themselves are above any law which inconveniences them.

I have been thinking about this off and on since I originally posted it and every time I think of it I really get PO'ed. A woman recently sued a hotel for 20 million over bed bug bites. If she could do that, this guy should be suing for at least 10 times the amount he is. In this case I hope he reams the officers involved too, they should have known better. This cannot be allowed to continue.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I love living in NH, but we're surrounded by hostile enemies. You can't drive anywhere without running the gauntlet through MA, NY and NJ.

I made a small donation to the New Jersey gun club who is representing this man. I hope it brings the people at the Port Authority down to reality.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links