Is that a spare mag I see on your belt and why you got all that ammo stored at home??

This is a discussion on Is that a spare mag I see on your belt and why you got all that ammo stored at home?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I agree with the “Prepare for the worst, Hope for the best” way of thinking. What it boils down to is, what is your assessment ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is that a spare mag I see on your belt and why you got all that ammo stored at home??

I agree with the “Prepare for the worst, Hope for the best” way of thinking.
    What it boils down to is, what is your assessment of risk?
    When I am in the mountains, I will carry all the firepower I can to protect myself & family from lions, tigers & bears (Oh my!)
    When in town I feel a little safer (right or wrong, many of you have debated this,) so I am not so heavily armed. One weapon, one or two mags.
    I’ll bet $$ there are some in this forum who would asses the risks opposite. (Chill in the woods, high alert in town.)
    I’d say go with what you are comfortable with.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I carry 2 extra mags with me at all times 'cause you never know if you will go slidelock or if the damn mag is gonna fail on you or you are gonna do something stupid like hit the mag release and lose the mag in the gun that will promptly fall in a sewer you failed to notice before or in sand or mud, etc.

I read somewhere about carrying mags "One is none and Two is one" and the concept behind is that be ready to lose a mag and be ready to substitute it.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

OD*
    I guess my earlier post made it sound as though I don't carry a spare, I do. One for the .45 & one for the P-32.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Tangle, with all due respect, you maybe should consider buying more ammunition. Those quantites you stock are known as "restock levels" to some I know.

I prefer to buy it whenever I can afford to, so I can shoot when I maybe can't afford to buy a lot more. Stored properly, it will last a while.

I have a few cases of .22LR saved up because I have young kids that I suspect will have a similar desire for the shooting sports.

I primarily carry a revolver, with soon to be one reload strip.

Senior Moderator
    I think some of you didn't quite catch the tougue-and-cheek attributes of my post and took it in a somewhat defensive way. It was just meant as a humorous introspective look at ourselves and some of our idiosyncrasies.

Do you not see just a bit of amusement (in a good way) in all the expense, effort, time, and energy we devote to "that" event? Be it a personal SD event or a cataclysmic event. I mean we're more focused on an event that has never happened in the US as if it's more likely to happen than a fire in our car or truck. BTW, how many have a good fire extinguisher in their car? How about a BUFE (Back Up Fire Extingisher) in your car - "one is none and two is one"?

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst? I fully agree, but here's a trivial worst. You're house burns to the ground. Not uncommon; my neighbor's did just that about 2 years ago.

Just an honest and humorous look at how we wrap our life around uncertain, future events based on what we enjoy. I mean we visualize events that we can control with guns, 1000s of rounds of ammo, and tactics. After Katrina, complete with a total break-down of society and law enforcement, it makes you think - that's probably a worst case scenario, right? And yet, as far as I know, no civies fired a shot, much less 1000s.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Tangle, I got your meaning, and I have observed some of those idiosyncracies in myself . We all tend to view the world through our own perceptions. To some degree I suppose it is impossible to do otherwise. However I think there are plenty more reasons why I should have extra on hand than that I might need it in an emergency. For example 7.62 X39 is somewhat scarce around here, at the moment.

As for your fire extinguisher analogy, unlucky choice. I do in fact have at least one extinguisher in our personal vehicles. My work truck has two. A small one in the cab, and a big one in back. The same is true with first aid kits. It is not because I think I might need two, but because I once had an experience where I could not locate my first aid kit, after being rear ended very hard. It was knocked off it’s mount and everything in my shelves ended up on top of it. Fortunately the police, and EMT’s responded fast enough that it was a non issue. If we had been in the middle of nowhere, the guy who hit me could have bled out.

I have extras of many things, for the same reason I carry. That is, because ultimately I am responsible for how I take care of my family. Failing to prepare is preparing to fail, it is as simple as that.

And yet, as far as I know, no civies fired a shot, much less 1000s.
    I know of at least one warning shot fired by a "civie". Of course the liberal MSM wouldn't report any such events as you mentioned, unless they could twist it to fit their agenda. The truth is, we don't know how many lives may have been saved, by someone who owned more firearms and ammo than they would ever need. There are those who could arm their whole neighborhood against roving bands of BGs , if needed. I wouldn't be surprised if someone did just that.

O.T.
    Sorry if I have been a little intense lately, it seems as if all my posts have been, if not over the top, very near it. Maybe it is stress. LOL!
    Please excuse my enthusiasm.
    Bryan

Wink Untold Stories

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    I mean we visualize events that we can control with guns, 1000s of rounds of ammo, and tactics. After Katrina, complete with a total break-down of society and law enforcement, it makes you think - that's probably a worst case scenario, right? And yet, as far as I know, no civies fired a shot, much less 1000s.
    Tangle, you'd be wrong on that one. I have family who live in Slidell. Some are LEOs. Thousands of shots were exchanged with BGs in the darkness and lots of folks were damn glad they had that Mini14, AK, or whatever.

My family was "missing" for three weeks after Katrina. One was on the phone to a relative when the roof lifted off, there were screams and the line went dead. Family members organized a "patrol" to penetrate the government established "emergency zones" that were ringed with troops. Well, family members who were ex-special forces and current LEOs loaded up a truck with several generators and emergency tools and carpentry stuff. Every rest area was packed with predators looking to pull a job on the unwitting. Had they not been so heavily armed and obviously skilled in usage, the trip might have been tragic. At one point, they left the highway and moved 4x4 cross country to avoid a roadblock. My guess is they were spotted several times, but on the strength that It takes a sheepdog to recognize another sheepdog they were not stopped or molested by authorities.

The folks who were disarmed were those unfortunate to be within reach of the authorities and who were unlikely by their socioeconomic status to give the "authorities" much of a fight. I do not mean the poor folks. I'm speaking of the well off. Interesting that the first targets for a gun grab were the politically astute and financially comfortable. These are the people who will present the biggest threat to a tyrant's regime. They must be quickly brought under control. Make no mistake: This was a DRY RUN. It will happen again. NRA and friendly judges or not...it WILL happen again.

At night, New Orleans was a virtual free fire zone and yes shots were fired. Not just in the Big Easy, but all along the Gulf Coast. BGs were coming into the zone from all over the country and lots never made it home again. Of course this never made the MSM! You think they want to advertise the reality that firearms actually DO serve a useful purpose in a civilized society?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Out of 2 million times, how many times did somebody reload during or after a gunfight?
    wow !... gettin' older has mellowed you out too much !
    well... if 2 million times (being a statistic mind you) guns were used in self defense, there has got to be a few of those times that somone had extra ammo and it was used. The odds are just too great. and even if it wasn't used....its only common sense to carry extra ammo even if its 5 rounds for a snubby. Just as important is the knowlege, use, and practice of the weapon. Without those, you might as well not even carry. We all know this...

Senior Moderator
    Ex,

The question I posed was how many civilians, not LEO fired guns. The point is, at it's worst, how many civies fired or needed 1000s of rounds of ammo? Guns and some ammo yes, but how many came close to firing even 100 rounds?

In fact, something you implied, suggested the display of guns themselves was a deterent, not shots fired. And that having guns was a comfort, but few that had guns actually fired them.

But in case I'm mistaken, what was the most rounds fired by a civilian in the Katrina tragedy?

It was just meant as a humorous introspective look at ourselves and some of our idiosyncrasies.
    huh ?

Arthur

ok.... lets turn the table a bit.... ask that same question Tangle, not of katrina but in south Africa 25 years ago...

Lightbulb PPPPP (5P) Principles of Survival

I think some of you didn't quite catch the tougue-and-cheek attributes of my post and took it in a somewhat defensive way. It was just meant as a humorous introspective look at ourselves and some of our idiosyncrasies.

Do you not see just a bit of amusement (in a good way) in all the expense, effort, time, and energy we devote to "that" event? Be it a personal SD event or a cataclysmic event. I mean we're more focused on an event that has never happened in the US as if it's more likely to happen than a fire in our car or truck. BTW, how many have a good fire extinguisher in their car? How about a BUFE (Back Up Fire Extingisher) in your car - "one is none and two is one"?

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst? I fully agree, but here's a trivial worst. You're house burns to the ground. Not uncommon; my neighbor's did just that about 2 years ago.

Just an honest and humorous look at how we wrap our life around uncertain, future events based on what we enjoy. I mean we visualize events that we can control with guns, 1000s of rounds of ammo, and tactics. After Katrina, complete with a total break-down of society and law enforcement, it makes you think - that's probably a worst case scenario, right? And yet, as far as I know, no civies fired a shot, much less 1000s.
    My wife and I are already planning our retirement home. We intend to build an earth sheltered home like this one: http://www.ultimatesecurehome.com

Such structures are fire and wind proof already, never need roof repairs, insect proof....actually zero maintenance to be done. They maintain an even temperature of 70 degrees year round, no matter if it is 20 below or 120 above. The cost of electricity per month is about $40 and it's possible to wire them so that you're completely off the grid. Check out the site link above. Until then we are living where we grew up: In the middle of hurricane alley in south Florida. We continue to exercise the 5P principles.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Smile

Ex,

The question I posed was how many civilians, not LEO fired guns. The point is, at it's worst, how many civies fired or needed 1000s of rounds of ammo? Guns and some ammo yes, but how many came close to firing even 100 rounds? But in case I'm mistaken, what was the most rounds fired by a civilian in the Katrina tragedy?
    I can't be sure but at least one neighborhood compound which is to say several adjoining homes fired at least 500rds over the course of three to four days (well ... nights) Homeowners in Saint Tammany IIRC or St Bernard Parrish fought off out of state BGs to the tune of 200+ rds at one time. Now, I DON'T know if that was an aggregate number by all neighbors or the sum of one well armed person for that incident. But I got the story from a cop involved in taking the report. Oh and no dead bodies of BGs on that scene, but signs that somebody (1 or more) was wounded.

Ok if things really really go bad Put all your ammo in the jeep and head out of town. If your out numbered your dead be prepared for this. If there are roving gangs then the only logical solution is to join up with a gang (militia) or frends yourself. There is always more safety in numbers. I don't encourage joining with militias and before "the big one" because not only are most militias a little off, BB has his thumb on them. Better to have people you can trust and go guerilla when the S hits the F. Just always have a plan thats my point.
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

Talking Mad Max marathon this week

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan
    Ok if things really really go bad Put all your ammo in the jeep and head out of town. If your out numbered your dead be prepared for this.....
    Wow....somebody's been watching The Road Warrior too often. If you have to bug out in the MIDLE of the emergency you're toast no matter what. Either see it cvoming and bugout first or be prepared to hunker down and survive in place. Thou Shalt NOT become a REFUGEE....ever!!!

I would never join a "militia" unless it was a bunch of my friends and neighbors whose skill in the military arts I could personally verify and add to in my own experiences. Neighbors gathered together for mutual defense makes sense. A bunch of wannabes (with the ever present Fed informant) running around burning the UN flag is not my idea of safety.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links