Is that a spare mag I see on your belt and why you got all that ammo stored at home?? - Page 3

Is that a spare mag I see on your belt and why you got all that ammo stored at home??

This is a discussion on Is that a spare mag I see on your belt and why you got all that ammo stored at home?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Guys, This needs to come back into perspective. I have yet to say we shouldn't be prepared or that there's anything wrong with being prepared, ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is that a spare mag I see on your belt and why you got all that ammo stored at home??

Senior Moderator
    Guys,

This needs to come back into perspective. I have yet to say we shouldn't be prepared or that there's anything wrong with being prepared, or that there's anything wrong with having lot's of ammo and guns on hand. Guns and ammo wise, I am probably as prepared as the next guy. My training probably far exceeds most; and I'm planning to go to two, week long schools this summer.

Still, I find humor in all the prep I do for an "event" that may never happen. But, I also appreciate the results of my training and preparedness. At the same time, I contrast that with the chances of having a house fire are much greater than "that" event. But what do I do in prep for that? A few smoke detectors. And I have the all but useless fire extinguishers about the house.

I guess it just brings it into perspective, I mean here I am all prepared, ready to defend and all, and the BGs simply send a flaming car into my house, and shoot us when we come out of the blazing house.

And admittedly, I hadn't heard about the shootouts in N.O., but even with that, it remains a very isolated and unique event.

But, I think this is one of those situations that somebody says something kinda semi-serious enjoying some of the paradoxes of the situation, and somebody takes it to be all serious, a threat to accepted survival dogma and it takes on a whole new face.

Go back and read my post. Knowing where I was really coming from, I think you'll find it more entertaining than threatening.

Tangle, I enjoyed that first post!

Now then, you won't ever be involved in a gunfight that requires you to reload, you'll never have your carry piece taken from you by LEO's, and you'll aways be able to buy ammo when you need it.

Until, that is, you stop carrying the extra mags, get rid of you "spare guns," and stop stocking your personal ammo-dump.

Then, it will all happen, at the same time! In my opinion, Mr. Murphy was an optimist!

You shouldn't fear loosing all your SHTF gear just because your house burns to the ground. . . You DO keep most of it in your underground bunker, don't you?

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by madmike
    Tangle, I enjoyed that first post!

Now then, you won't ever be involved in a gunfight that requires you to reload, you'll never have your carry piece taken from you by LEO's, and you'll aways be able to buy ammo when you need it.

Until, that is, you stop carrying the extra mags, get rid of you "spare guns," and stop stocking your personal ammo-dump.

Then, it will all happen, at the same time! In my opinion, Mr. Murphy was an optimist!

You shouldn't fear loosing all your SHTF gear just because your house burns to the ground. . . You DO keep most of it in your underground bunker, don't you?

mm
    Ain't it the truth!

Are you readin' my mind! How'd you know about the bunker with the escape tunnel?

I've read that if you are in a gunfight the LEOs take all your guns that you have on you, not just the one you used. That also may include a gun in the car. It would make sense, they'd probably want to do ballistics etc, on any that could have been used.

I also caught the humor of the original post, and this is probably not very profound; but what fun is it to buy a bunch of spare fire extinguishers? I would much rather research gun models, read about caliber debates, and what holster works.

Also, it is my hopes that every time I buy a new gun, somewhere I am irritating someone that would rather I didn't have the right to.

Buying ammunition is just a smaller amount of similar fun, but costs less too.

I really enjoy checking out at the hated big store with groceries, diapers, baby formula, and 3 boxes of Winchester white box 40S&W...

Good topic, but I think most of us can admit that there is some level of "fun" in our preparations..

Don't know what might be confiscated after a shooting, I suppose a BUG carried on you would be discovered in a pat-down, not sure if a car would be searched unless you were in it during the shooting.

Not being a "criminal type," I just suspicious enough of how things tend to work in general that I'd have to say I'd not be too "talkative" at that time, other than to let them know that I was "in fear" enough to have defended myself and that I really need to speak with an attorney before talking any further.

I would not provide them with "probable cause" to search any further than my own person. If they want to look any further than that, they'll have to supply their own reasons. Maybe they can, maybe they can't. Really don't know.

At least in Florida, the LEO community in general does not tend to look towards persecuting the legally armed citizen. So far, anyway.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

MURPHY
    I also carry two fire extinguishers on my boat.

Still, I find humor in all the prep I do for an "event" that may never happen.
    Ya, I see where your coming from. I see more irony, than humor in it though. Dont worry, I love irony in any form.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gregarat
    Ya, I see where your coming from. I see more irony, than humor in it though. Dont worry, I love irony in any form.
    Hmmm, maybe you're right; I can see that too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links