Should Full Auto's Be Legal? - Page 2

Should Full Auto's Be Legal?

This is a discussion on Should Full Auto's Be Legal? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; SWAT entry teams sometimes use SMGs, not for suppressive fire, but for accurate, effective fire. That does require a good deal of training, though. If ...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Full Auto's Be Legal?

SWAT entry teams sometimes use SMGs, not for suppressive fire, but for accurate, effective fire. That does require a good deal of training, though. If I ever get a full-auto, it will probably be a 'fun gun', not a defensive piece.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Folks don't need automobiles with 300 hp engines that are capable of going faster than the highest posted speed limit.

Yes, law abiding American citizens should be able to own full auto.
    I agree...this was about to be my post.

RKBA is not about what you NEED...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by MSGTLEGO View Post
    "One Round One Kill"
    For a sniper, that's fine.

For resisting a rough attack (ie, home invasion, or a multiple-on-one situation), more lead can help. Depends on the situation.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

There should be NO restrictions on any citizen owning one. The Bill of Rights intended us to be armed well enough to defend our country against foreign invaders equipped with the latest small arms, and to be able to prevent our own government from becoming tyrannical, or to replace a tyrannical government with a legitimate one.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Better go find myself a "BAR" but it would just be for FUN if I did find one.

R/S Lego

Should they be legal? YES.

Does a regular civilian have any real use for one (other than the pure adrenalin rush)? NO.

If any person could read and understand the Constitution then I do not understand how they could possible think that any firearms should be banned, or even controlled. The 2nd Amendment specifically says “the right of the people to keep and bear Arms” which, to me, indicates that it is referring to “the people”. It then says “shall not be infringed”, well isn’t a ban an infringement?

As to the use of an automatic weapon… anybody who has ever used a fully automatic weapon knows how hard it is to control them. After the first couple of rounds you are almost guaranteed to be off target unless you are using a mounted machine gun.

Even back when I was using the M16 they knew this, that is why we were taught to shoot in short bursts and release the trigger after only firing 3 – 4 rounds. They subsequently developed “burst mode” which fires fully automatic for only 3 rounds for each trigger pull. I am not familiar with what the Military is fielding now so I don’t know whether the current M16/M4 has a full auto or a burst mode.

VIP Member
    Most good shooting ranges are qualified for type three III firearms.
    They can't let you buy but you can rent and let you shoot an automatic. Usually a Mini SMG.

Most Gunsmiths, including myself, can easily change a semi-auto to an auto without too much work, but we don't because it is illegal without a type III ATF License.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Great Topic, all very good Points!

"The 2nd Amendment specifically says “the right of the people to keep and bear Arms” which, to me, indicates that it is referring to “the people”. It then says “shall not be infringed”

I Agree BlackJack

Another Point the M4/M16 have 3 rd burst because of the control issue. MG like the SAW, 240G are used to suppress a target with a high volume of fire.

R/S Lego

The way I read it the 2nd Amendment says that we people should be able to keep and bear arms, because militias are important, and our rights shouldn't be infringed.

So to me the arms we are allowed to keep and bear should be the type of arms we would use while serving in a militia - whether we do or not we still have the right to keep and bear the arms. I think a militia would be pretty likely to use full auto guns....so the 1986 ban was unconstitutional, and so is basically the entire BATFE....

That's just my opinion though - and worth what you paid for it. The U.S. Supreme Court Justices all make $217,000.00 a year - so you know how much you paid for their opinion when the Heller decision came out.

Also there is no such thing as a Benelli M5.

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    Shot placement still matters...and the PEOPLE should have access to the same weapons as LEO's and military.
    Wait a minute. I don't know if I am ready to have RPG's, mortars, and 105, 155, and 203mm howitzers in the civilian market -- At least not yet.

Agreed with the above post. For all civilians to have access to the same weapons as the military seems a bit dangerous...maybe with mandatory training?

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I know this wont be a popular option, but I believe that a American citizen should be able to buy anything from a .22 to a howitzer. Now wait a sec though.
    I feel that military grade weapons, full auto and above should have licenses, not registration. Thus to own one you would have to be licensed, but the gov should not know what exactly you have, only that you can buy it. The license is only there as proof of clean criminal record, and regular checks of this. Should the license be prohibitably expensive no, as in a CC license and a "Military Grade" weapon license should be the same price, should it need to be renewed yes.
    The one part of this that falls apart and I do admit is, should it just be a criminal background test or possibly more?
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    It would take a lot of practice to perfect shot placement. I doubt most people would have the monetary resources to be able to afford to practice to the point where they are placing every shot where they want to.
    I doubt most people have the monetary resources to purchase the full auto's in the first place.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

I shoot full autos all the time and the BS about it takes a lot of training and money to fire controlled bursts on target is just that BS.They went to a 3 shot burst trigger to eliminate firing long uncontrolled bursts It caused problems and they decided a better way was to teach people to shoot short bursts,It can be done with as little as one magazine of ammunition.Some people can fire a semi almost as fast as FA,Downside to FA you go thru ammo quick,even Special Ops have limited ammo and they conserve it by using semi and aimed shots with FA used to repel attacks/break contact
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

If you can afford it, go for it! I don't see any problem with it.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links