Dropped gun

Dropped gun

This is a discussion on Dropped gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Someone dropped a gun at the range the other day. I was sort of curious about the possible chances of it going off. It was ...

Thread: Dropped gun

Dropped gun

Someone dropped a gun at the range the other day. I was sort of curious about the possible chances of it going off.
    It was a newer pistol, sorry don't know the type.
    The holster is one of those with no front restraint, just a back and sides. Designed for competition, fast-draw I guess.
    Just want to learn from it.

Chances of it going off when dropped are slim. Most modern pistols have safety devices to physically block the firing pin from forward travel.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Most manufacturers today have a drop test in their QA program so chances are extremely slim to none that they would go off.

Senior Moderator
    VERY VERY rare. Gun manufacturers these days have to watch not only their p's and q's but the rest of the alphabet as well. If there was even a slight possibility that a firearm could discharge when dropped there would be a recall (like the Ruger SR9) and everything would be reworked. They know they would loose their shirts, necks and other body parts if someone got hurt from a dropped gun that discharged.

All that being said, previous posters already mentioned it. Much work is put into making sure that modern firearms cannot fire when dropped whether it's firing pin blocks, transfer bars, drop safeties and the like.

I've dropped many a gun and the only thing I think when it hits the floor is "ooohh. I hope I didn't scratch it." I have never feared a misfire and never had one.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    It is a slim possibility, but it can happen, such as mechanical creations of any kind. They can malfunction when enough force is applied, but modern firearms are in the 99.99% drop safe.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Don't worry about it.

The biggest danger from a falling gun isn't actually from the gun itself - its from the user.

That's right. Sometimes when a gun starts to fall, people will desperately try to "catch" it - sometimes catching the trigger in their desperation to grab the falling weapon. And you can guess what happens after that.

For that reason, NEVER try to catch a falling handgun. Just let it fall - it'll be fine.

Now something like a chambered shotgun can be a different story. But still, a light tap won't do anything, but a serious impact at the right angle may.

Administrator
    Ditto: The instant knee-jerk reflexive action is to attempt to catch a handgun before it hits the ground. Don't do that.
    Always let it fall & then pick it up.

You can always get it beautifully and perfectly refinished even if it hits hard on concrete.
    Dropping your firearm and NOT catching it will give you an excuse to start shopping around for a custom refinishing job and super nice Matte Hard Chrome.

I'd never want to find out personally if a dropped pistol would fire. I care way too much for my firearms to drop them. I might say that dropping a firearm or pistol would be totally irresponsible IMO, even though I understand accidents might happen. I've never dropped a gun.

It happened to a 1911 45 I had and The stars much of been aligned perfectly for it to have fired.Under most conditions It will not fire,I put a heavier firing pin spring in after mine fired from a 3 foot drop straight on the barrel,had it not hit perfectly on the barrel on tiled concrete I do not believe it would of delivered enough inertia to the firing pin to strike the primer
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I have learned something from this thread, thanks.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I'd never want to find out personally if a dropped pistol would fire. I care way too much for my firearms to drop them. I might say that dropping a firearm or pistol would be totally irresponsible IMO, even though I understand accidents might happen. I've never dropped a gun.
    Exactly, it's like dropping a good drink, what is wrong with folks now a day.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Links