Glue Bullets?!?! Anyone know the laws behind this?

This is a discussion on Glue Bullets?!?! Anyone know the laws behind this? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was surfing through youtube and ran into a video of someone shooting "glue bullets" out of their .38 special. YouTube - Glue Bullets After ...

Thread: Glue Bullets?!?! Anyone know the laws behind this?

I was surfing through youtube and ran into a video of someone shooting "glue bullets" out of their .38 special.

YouTube - Glue Bullets

After searching through some forums/google searches I found out that it is essentially hot glue in a spent shell with a new primer (no powder). Here is one of the forum threads I found for it:

hot gun glue bullets - THR

While I watched the video, I couldn't help but wonder whether or not using these shells in a non range area (such as the living room in the video) within city limits is legal. Anyone know about the laws behind this? In addition, is it ok to fire the dried glue from these rounds through your firearm?

Personally, I would think the only thing you would want traveling through your firearm is lead.
    "No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
    -Thomas Jefferson-

They shouldn't hurt the gun, but they may be harder to clean up after.
    Crime should be outlawed.

Sticky situation
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

IIRC a friend of mine was threatened with but never charged with discharge of a firearm in city limits in Redmond, WA. He was firing primers with a paper-wad bullet. I think your local laws would have to be read. A quick perusing of my city code leads me to believe it would be illegal here (city name intentionally withheld). Code here describes a firearm as any device or contraption that discharges a projectile through the use of any explosive or chemical propellant.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Moderator
    Most city ordinances only address "discharging a firearm" within city limits.

It does not elaborate further so technically anything would be in violation.

I know a guy that got a ticket for discharging a firearm in city limits because he was shooting a potato gun.
    To make matters worse, since it was a weapons related infraction, he was refused his Concealed Handgun permit the first time around. He had to get a disposition of case from his lawyer and explain it to the State Police. He got his permit but it took awhile.

So whatever you do, be careful.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Did some searching on the Texas definition of a firearm and came across the definition in Texas Penal Code - Sections 46.01. In Texas a firearm is defined as something that launches a projectile through a barrel by means of force from a explosion or burning substance.

So it is definitely illegal within city limits here.

-------

I still think its a bad idea in that it sounds messy when cleaning your gun.
    "No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
    -Thomas Jefferson-

Classic training mechanism. A Brit in the early 1900s (whose name I can't recall, though possibly Sykes or Fairbairne) would load his .38 by priming spent cases, and pressing the case mouth into a brick of soap. His cohorts and servants would then run through "mugging" scenarios with him. Rounds of sherry for anyone successfully laying training steel/baton/or downing him before getting bruised.

Administrator

CCI Speer

CCI sells their plastic training bullets. You push the primers into the red plastic cartridge cases and reload the black plastic bullets by pushing them in with your thumb.

You poke the "spent" primers out with a nail.

You can use a hanging blanket for a safe backstop.

Because they exit the muzzle with NO recoil and there is no muzzle rise - they hit LOW.
    They will group OK but just below your intended POA.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Wax bullets have long been used for training. Push empty case into a cake of wax, of the desired thickness, prime the case, and you are ready. Spent wax bullets can be melted and re-used, unlike spent glue bullets.

Bill Jordan's _No Second Place Winner_ is a wonderful book, which I think should be required reading for anyone who carries a defensive firearm, anyway, has clear instructions on making wax-bullet ammo. The book is a bit dated in some regards, but the tactical principles are timeless, and wax is wax, so that is relevant.

Discharging a firearm is discharging a firearm. Unless the law prohibiting discharging a firearm within city limits has a SPECIFIC exclusion for training with less-lethal ammunition, it is illegal. Period.

I don't know enough about hot glue, to know if I want such residue in a gun barrel. I would think wax would be MUCH easier to clean out of of a barrel.

Sponsored Links