Bonding Kydex To Itself

Bonding Kydex To Itself

This is a discussion on Bonding Kydex To Itself within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; QKShooter Warning. Solvents sush as MEK & THF are hazardous to your health if improperly used...I believe that MEK can be absorbed through the skin. ...

Administrator

Post Bonding Kydex To Itself

QKShooter Warning. Solvents sush as MEK & THF are hazardous to your health if improperly used...I believe that MEK can be absorbed through the skin. Use care & look up the specific hazards for any solvent that you intend to use Always use adequate ventilation or try to work outdoors if possible.

ALSO: Never trust a "glued only" joint or bond with KYDEX material unless you extensively test that joint strength for yourself.
    Better (for new KYDEX workers) to use a combination of cement & rivets.

Tech Brief Material KYDEX - TB-103

Bonding Kydex® Sheet
    Due to its excellent chemical resistance, KYDEX® Sheet can be more difficult to cement than other plastics. Herein we discuss how to cement KYDEX® Sheet to itself. Strong bonds can be obtained for most applications using the methods shown below. KYDEX® Sheet can also be joined to itself or to other materials using mechanical fasteners in place of adhesives.

Bonding KYDEX® Sheet to itself, or other plastics

Solvent Cementing:
    When bonding KYDEX® Sheet to itself, excellent joints and adhesion can be obtained using solvents in one of the following ways:

(QKShooter Note: Directly Below Is The Strongest Glue Type Joint ~ it dissolve fuses the material to itself.)
    The best joints can be obtained using a viscous solvent cement consisting of about 10% KYDEX® Sheet shavings dissolved in a 50/50 mixture of tetrahydrofuran (THF) and methylethylketone (MEK). The KYDEX® Sheet shavings should be dissolved in the straight THF first, before adding the appropriate amount of MEK. Both of these solvents are available from lab supply companies such as Fisher Scientific (Web: http://www.fishersci.com/) Ashland Chemicals (Web: http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/), or other chemical distributors.

Without the KYDEX® Sheet shavings, a relatively fast-acting capillary adhesive can be made by using only the 50/50 THF and MEK mixture. THF works well at 100%,but it tends to flash off too quickly resulting in a poor joint. The addition of MEK slows down the evaporation rate and affords greater time to work with the joint.

Adhesives:

In addition to chemical solvents, good bonds (both KYDEX® Sheet to it self and KYDEX® Sheet to other materials) can be obtained from various commercially available adhesives. Some examples are:

Cyanoacrylate adhesives (e.g. “Super Glue”), such as Henkel’s S1000 Power Series (contact Henkel in the US at 800-934-9401 or on the Web at http://www.henkel.com/), yield very high joint strength for bonding KYDEX® Sheet to itself or to other materials. They are especially suitable for smaller areas of application where a very fast cure is desired.

THF based adhesives by IPS work extremely well for KYDEX® Sheet to KYDEX® Sheet applications. Any of the following IPS Weld-On adhesives can be used: #4052, #4007, and #1007. For more information on these products, please contact IPS in the US at (800) 421-2677, or on the web at http://www.ipscorp.com/. Tangit manufactured by Henkel, and HAKU 2091 manufactured by Chemische Werke Kluthe GmbH. Chemische Werke Kluthe GmbH (Web at http://www.kluthe.de/kluthe/) are other acceptable products. These adhesives also work well for KYDEX® Sheet to PVC and KYDEX® Sheet to ABS applications.

Urethane based adhesives are available in easy-to-use two-part cartridge dispensers and result in good bonds. One such example is Ciba’s Uralane 5774 adhesive. Ciba can be reached in the US by calling (818) 247-6210, in Europe by calling 44.1223.832.121 or on the web at http://www.cibasc.com/

Acrylic based adhesives such as Devcon’s ‘Plastic Welder ‘ or ‘Plastic Welder II’ can be used to form very strong bonds with KYDEX® Sheet. Both of the ‘Welder’ products are 2-part adhesives, which are available in cartridges. The Welders produce a strong bond, which cures in about 15 minutes; the adhesive is white in color. There is a ‘Flex Welder’, which produces a somewhat flexible bond which cures in roughly a half an hour. Flex Welder is yellow in color although it does not give as good a bond as the Plastic Welder and Plastic Welder II. You may order the ‘Welder’ products from Devcon in the US by calling (508) 777-1100, in Europe by calling 44.1.933.675.299 or on the web at http://www.devcon.com

Adhesive Engineering & Supply offers “adhesive 310B” in black which is comparable to Plastic Welder. They can be reached in the US by calling (800) 888-4583, or on the web at www.stick-it.com

Most hardware stores carry an adhesive for PVC pipe. This type of adhesive usually works well with KYDEX® Sheet.

Assistant Administrator
    Great tech info QK - most useful.

In effect the ''brew'' for adhesion is using same principle as a solvent weld on Sched' 40 pipe etc. Which does produce extreme strength.

I would always if making stuff tho have rivets too as a redundancy insurance.

Right tho re TFK and MEK - not nice substances if handled wrong. I can see ca glue working but would expect some surface prep needed and use too of gap-filling (thick) type, plus accelerator. I use ca a lot with airplanes and if right grade used in right way it is good - here tho I'd not trust it like a good solvent weld.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    And, why did we want to know this? I mean I do, but why?

Assistant Administrator
    General info Ron - as I see it - no one has to read it who doesn't want to

Don't know about you but despite my years I still enjoy learning!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    General info Ron - as I see it - no one has to read it who doesn't want too

Don't know about you but despite my years I still enjoy learning!
    Yep! That'd explain it!

Lead Moderator
    Thanks QKshooter, may try this on some other projects.

I'll, uh, stick with with my 2-Ton Epoxy. Sorry about the pun.

Administrator

Post Reason For Posting This

A couple of forum members were wanting specific information about making their own KYDEX holsters.

Sooo...I added this as a brand new thread so that it's searchable by searching "KYDEX" ~ using the "titles only" feature of the fourm search block.

So that's why Tangle.

Senior Moderator
    I knew there'd be a good reason!

Links