NY Detective?

This is a discussion on NY Detective? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Mr. Cirillo used a 4" model 10 heavy barrel, and used it in most of his gunfights. He also carried a pencil barrel model 10, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NY Detective?

Mr. Cirillo used a 4" model 10 heavy barrel, and used it in most of his gunfights.

He also carried a pencil barrel model 10, as a "New York" reload. To my knowlege, he did not coin the term.

He was a very kind man, good cop, and fine instructor. He is missed. Regards 18DAI.

Edited to add: The only people who think the 38 is a "lowly" or useless round, are on the internet.

2. Remove Ads

The old S&W mod 10 and 15's were used by lots of police departments back in the day that felt the 357 magnum was overkill
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

To survive all those gun fights and then to be done in by a car accident is just crazy. I think that the key to Jim surviving all those years on the streets of NYC isn't just due to his skill with a firearm,but a determination to live and not give up. As soon as I can I'm gonna buy some of his books. Man,what I wouldn't give to go back in time and take just ONE lesson with him... But it nice to know that the Pearly Gates are being guarded by two of the meanest and baddest angels out there-Col. Jeff Cooper and Jim C. Rest in Peace gentlemen,your watches are over.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Jim Cirillo was one of the best human beings I ever met, a nice, grandfatherly type. I attended one all-too-brief class at the Snubby Summit in 2005, which he instructed, and was blessed to have a few private conversations with him outside the classroom. This world needs more folks like him.

Guns, Bullets, and Gunfights by Mr. Cirillo is a MUST READ. I'm very sorry I never got to meet the man, I always wanted him to autograph his book for me. I've watched his videos. He seemed really down to earth and genuine, sure of him ideas without being arrogant, and apparently had a great sense of humor-in addition to being the scourge of armed robbers in NY . I always wanted a revolver made up like the one he thought might be the ultimate stake out pistol, the Mdl. 29 Smith and Wesson with a Dan Wesson barrel. You can read about it and his full wadcutter bullet design in "Guns, Bullets, and Gunfights."
    What Would Gumby Do?

I've really only fired auto's for the most part, and they have their advantages due to the increased firepower available but revolver's are just as deadly with a trained shooter.

As with anything and consistent training with good habits, you take an advantage as with good practice comes memory retention.

My guess is that this man was confident in his abilities, and while I'm sure he still got rattled during these encounters, he controlled it to do what he had to to survive.

If a person got hit center mass 1 or 2 times from a .38 it's pretty much game over unless they were jacked up on a drug such as crack, meth, Oxycontin or others....that thought terrifies me.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Just something to ponder,what were his suspects carrying?Saturday night specials,in 22 and 25 calibre possibly.A lot of Todays criminals carry top of the line firearms and have just as much practice shooting or even more than a lot of LEO's
    I would think the exact opposite is true, though I have no basis for that statement. I suppose it depends on the type of criminals we are talking about, but I would guess most convenient store robbers procured their equipment in a back alley swap meet and have never fired a shot with it prior to sticking it in someones face. I'd be much less concerned with the criminals aptitude with their firearm than I would their trigger control while experiencing heroin withdraw symptoms.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links