NY Detective?

This is a discussion on NY Detective? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am trying to remember the name of the NY(?) detective who had been in about 13 gunfights, and had won them all. I think ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NY Detective?

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar

NY Detective?

I am trying to remember the name of the NY(?) detective who had been in about 13 gunfights, and had won them all. I think he passed away a couple of years ago.

If I recall correctly he used a .38Spl snub nose revolver. I remember reading that the first gun fight was in a grocery or 7/11 type store, and there were three BG. He said he expected to get killed, but he took them on and of course won.

Anyone know who that was?

I bring this up because so many ridicule the short barreled .38 Spl, and the lack of high capacity. Maybe he went to a SA in time, but I do not recall it.

Hope this in accurate enough for someone to identify him.

Regards,
    Jerry

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Jim Chirrillo, I believe?

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    I bring this up because so many ridicule the short barreled .38 Spl, and the lack of high capacity.
    Ah, but if he had had a high-cap semi-auto he would have won faster and more easily.

Arko, you may be right...but I don't think his name is spelled that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    Jim Chirrillo, I believe?
    Yes, you get an A+. I think I will try to find out more about him.

Thanks, Arko.

Regards,
    Jerry

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    No prob. Sorry about the spelling!

Yes ity was indeed Jim Cirillo he was on the "stake out squad" and he did indeed win 13 gunfights,all with the lowly .38special caliber thats so loathed by so many gun shop commandos these days,I'm half joking on that last part. seriously though I have no problems carrying a colt cobra every day as my defensive gun. The fact its a 6 shot snub nose doesn't bother me one bit.

I feel I'm proficient enough in its use to be able to use it well in an armed encounter. sure I like autos especially 1911's(see my user name)but I feel most comfortable with a revolver for some reason. I feel a .38special with the modern ammo out now is more than enough to dispatch a two legged threat.
    I carry the old 158gr +P hollow points or speer's 135gr +P gold dot made for short barrels.

do a Google search and you will find out a lot about Jim Cirillo and some of his books as well.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    The "lowly" .38 is a gift from God.

I just ordered one of his books through Amazon.
    Guns, Bullets, And Gunfights: Lessons And Tales From A Modern-Day Gunfighter"

Thanks for the help.

Regards,
    Jerry

Administrator
    Thats a good book.
    "Just blame Sixto"

siafu I was joking about the .38 being lowly was a bit or sarcasm on my part. I think its a great round. I was referring to some gun owners I've heard demean anyone that doesn't carry a gun that holds 19 rounds and carries 3 spare magazines

I may be wrong on this, but didn't he also coin the term New York Reload when he carried two guns?

Bill
    Common Sense, the rarest of all senses

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    siafu I was joking about the .38 being lowly was a bit or sarcasm on my part. I think its a great round. I was referring to some gun owners I've heard demean anyone that doesn't carry a gun that holds 19 rounds and carries 3 spare magazines
    I wasn't referring to your comment/post, I was referring to all the gun store lead-slingers who disparage this fine caliber. It was at the tip of the LE spear for many many years doing a fine job taking out BG's. Just because it's not hip to roll with a wheel gun these days doesn't mean it still can't perform as well as any other caliber out there.

Heck, the .38 recoil in my 642 proved to be a bit much for my GF so I ordered her a Taurus 941 in .22 WMR so she could handle the recoil. I would not want to be on the receiving end of a .22 magnum, especially 8 shots later.

Much like the .38, the .22 gets a bad SD rap from the .4x crowd.

siafu I agree 100% with you and I realize you weren't referring to my comments. I think my colt cobra handles well even with +P hollow points. I usually carry the 158gr. semi wadcutter hollow point,as I'm sure you know this is a VERY effective load for the .38special even out of a snub nose.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I just looked through some of my gun videos and found an oldie. A VHS tape produced by Personal Protection Systems, Ltd. in Moscow, PA. The title is Cirillo on Firearms. It has been years since I have watched it but IIRC it was a good watch. If you can find it check it out.

Just something to ponder,what were his suspects carrying?Saturday night specials,in 22 and 25 calibre possibly.A lot of Todays criminals carry top of the line firearms and have just as much practice shooting or even more than a lot of LEO's
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links