Taurus PT 92 Magazine disassembly

This is a discussion on Taurus PT 92 Magazine disassembly within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm new to the forum and hope I'm posting this in the right section. I just picked up a newer model of the Taurus PT92 ...

Thread: Taurus PT 92 Magazine disassembly

Taurus PT 92 Magazine disassembly

I'm new to the forum and hope I'm posting this in the right section. I just picked up a newer model of the Taurus PT92 9mm. Field stripped it and gave it a good cleaning and came to the magazine. The Taurus manual is not specific and I don't want to bust anything up. I have the standard 10 round magazines (Taurus brand) and on other pistols I've had and have there is a small button in the bottom of the magazine shoe to press in and then slide the bottom plate off the mag letting the spring and follower come out...on these magazines there is no hole or pin in the bottom...only a couple of very small screws near the bottom on the sides of the magazine in small intented "slots". I am guessing they come out and the bottom plate slides of slips off but I can't get any of the small screws to loosen (didn't put much pressure on them...don't want to bust anything)...
    Can anyone that has one of these please fill me in...the Taurus manual has no illustration nor specific directions...probably really simple...

Many thanks
    Opos
    Attached Images
    Last edited by opos; April 27th, 2009 at 08:18 PM. Reason: add pictures

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Opos, unless you are having issues with the magazine, do not disassemble. I haven't cleaned my Taurus Mags since 2003 and had no problems with them.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I haven't had anything that seems wrong at all...The Taurus manual said to clean the magazines after about 200 rounds. I have another semi auto that is a 380 and a blow back pistol and if I don't really keep things clean it can have lots of failures. I've been shooting some pretty dirty ammo in the 380 because there isn't much available and I sort of shoot what I can get...with the Taurus I've had no problem getting American Eagle for target use...I'm using Hornaday Critical form S/D use..

I'll just keep "banging away" and keep an eye out for any problems..I've heard that things like Wolf and Winchester White box can be pretty dirty...

Much obliged for the input.
    opos

VIP Member
    My pleasure. I shot tons Wolf on my PT92 and then my own reloads. No problems with the mag. However the gun hates S&B for some reason

And if worse comes to happen, get a can of brake cleaner and give the mag a good dose. The a light spray of Remington Teflon Oil and you are set.

PS: Mags other that original Taurus SUCK! Don't waste you money.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I have a Taurus 917, which is the 4" version of the 92. When my mags get dirty if just give them a shot with any of the spray type gun cleaners. Works very well and doesn't leave any residue. I then wipe them with a very, very light coat of gun oil.

Works very well and helps when I'm doing mag changes.

Has anyone ever used the 9mm to 22 conversion for the Taurus 92 made by the guy in Florida (Ciner?)..I know it's off topic but just curious..I'm cheap.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Usually taking apart the magazine is not part of the field strip process. Unless you are having magazine issues, there is no need to take it apart. I don't usually do anything with the magazines after cleaning my guns, if its a carry gun, I just reload it with my carry ammo.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Links