How long to keep chambered?

This is a discussion on How long to keep chambered? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello, I was wondering how long I can keep a chambered round in a handgun. What kind of wear or effect will it have long ...

Thread: How long to keep chambered?

Hello,

I was wondering how long I can keep a chambered round in a handgun.
    What kind of wear or effect will it have long term?

I carry a G27. I keep it chambered while carrying, but unchambered when I get home or I'm at work & not carrying it.
    I know Glocks have the safe action system, so I was also wondering if keeping a Glock chambered would be more or less detrimental(if at all) then a normal external safety handgun.

Thanks

Indefinitely.
    I have 3 semi-autos in my safe now that are loaded and chambered (yes, a full mag +1) and a revolver (on me now) that stays loaded, of course there's nothing being stressed in the revolver. I switch from one gun to another fairly often (a few times a day some days) depending on if I'm going on or coming off duty, what I'm wearing, or what I'm doing. I've done it this way for years and have yet to have any issues with any of my weapons because they stay loaded.

I would "rotate" your defense ammo a few times a year minimum. I stand corrected on the "keeping mags loaded subject". Here's a link to an article on it.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...7/ai_99130369/

Don't worry about always leaving a round chambered in a GLOCK. They are pretty safe. Just remember no finger on the trigger, no accidents!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

GLOCK 23..........Beretta 96..........Mossberg 500A..........Winchester 30-30..........S&W M&P

I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6!

There's no limit on how long you can keep a round chambered. However, there is a limit on how many times you can chamber a given round. Every time you chamber a round, the bullet may get pushed back slightly into the case. Do this enough times and it will substantially increase the pressure when you fire that round.

I read different on keeping mags loaded. I read that keeping them loaded is the same as keeping them unloaded as far as spring stress goes. It's the constant loaded & unloading of mags that stresses the spring. I know several people that have had mags loaded for 5+ years & they have gone "bang" fine.
    Maybe that's a different debate for another thread though.
    Current list...G27 CCW gun, Beretta M9,
    Springfield 1911, Beretta cheetah 380
    16" AR setup for close quarters, 20" AR with 37mm launcher, AK47

I agree with Blackeagle.

I agree with fuzzy about the mags. You can leave the rounds in them without worry IMO. Ive never had a problem.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    I agree with Blackeagle.

I agree with fuzzy about the mags. You can leave the rounds in them without worry IMO. Ive never had a problem.
    Me too.
    Best,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    Me too.
    Best,
    Jerry
    +1

Just watch for bullet setback if you are "constantly" rechambering the same round.

I have mags that were loaded 10+ years before being used and not a single FTF.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

I have never worried much about the age of my ammo, but I have allways used brass cases. This thread has made me think though about the allumunim cases. This metal reacts with other metal in a bad way sometimes. Anyone know if the allumunium cases react to the steel in the guns after a while?

Also if its steel cases, seems that wouldn't be good either. Anyone know about this?

Michael

Shoot more and there's nothing to worry about!
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Clean pistol and discard ammo: whenever the pistol gets wet, dirty, lint filled, oil starts running somewhere it is not supposed to be, or oil contacts ammo (oil neutralizes primers), it is dropped, or after MAX 6 months of carrying.

You will not damage your Glock or mags by leaving them loaded. Glock's don't need much lubrication either so you shouldn't have any oil running issues.

Ideally, you should practice with your carry guns and it should naturally be fired, cleaned, and reloaded occasionally. If you are concealed carrying, I would say you need to live fire practice at least once a month.

There is nothing wrong with leaving it loaded at home or in the car assuming it is legal to do so in your State, you have an appropriate way to secure the pistol (like a safe), and the appropriate intelligence to manage a loaded firearm...

As noted above, bullet setback from repeatedly chambering the same round is an issue. When the slide slams home, it will often press the bullet into the cartridge deeper. If it get pressed in too far, when you fire it, it can lead to dangerous conditions (like the pistol exploding). I mark rounds that have been ejected from the chamber with a sharpie and measure them with calipers for setback before reusing them. If they have been chambered more then a couple of times, I will fire them at the range (or discard them if they see unsafe)

Chambered for a looooooong time, just don't recycle that same bullet more than a few times.
    After a a bullet is ejected several times, it's used at the range.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Gonna have to voice a bit of disagreement on the subject with those that claim it's ok to leave it 'stoked' indefinitely!

I'm a retired LEO, one of the firearms I carried in my plus 30 was a S&W 645...........outstanding piece that it was I did experience something I'd never seen before........a pitted chamber!.............Now I'm more than just a bit particular about the condition of a device I'm going to bet my life on, but when I began to have failures to extract at a qualification session I immediately looked into the cause and a close examination with a magnifier revealed the reason for the rough looking (brand new...factory) ejected cases............I can only assume that the dissimilar metals.......stainless bbl/brass case.......induced a condition similar to what one will experience with an outboard engine, hence the reason for the sacrificial zinc insert therein............

Anyway, I polished the chamber and it immediately corrected the problem..............now, it could have been me, perhaps I'd inadvertently handled something that transferred to the ctg/bbl and induced the problem..........all I know is that it was a for real problem and thereafter I carried ONLY nickled cases in that gun.............still have it and I have never had another malfunction.

Be advised!!!!

Sponsored Links