Does your taste in firearms change often?

This is a discussion on Does your taste in firearms change often? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does your taste in firearms change often? I think that mine does. I seem to go through phases when I like auto's more..then back to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does your taste in firearms change often?

Does your taste in firearms change often? I think
    that mine does. I seem to go through phases when
    I like auto's more..then back to revolvers...then I
    see a auto I really like at the gun store and it starts
    again..lol

Then I am always changing my mind about whether
    I believe the shotgun is the best for HD when you could
    argue that a good carbine could do the job just as well
    with less recoil.

Guns...the debate is endless.

Lets not even start with calibers

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    No.....until I find something better than my Sig P220, my tastes will never change. And that probably will never happen.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I used to not like plastic guns. I would only own revolvers and 1911, then switched to the plastic ones.

I still like the look and feel of an all steel/wood gun, but like the practicality of the plastic ones for daily carry. And I found out that they shoot pretty well also.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    My taste in firearms has changed somewhat. I used to seriously dislike Glocks just because they look so plain and blocky. Now I don't really care about looks, given my first ever handgun was a Hi-Point, and I think we can all agree those are some of the ugliest handguns ever designed, however they do work, and are surprisingly accurate. I've always had a thing for "tactical" or military style firearms. I don't have any traditional wood and steel guns, they're all synthetics, polymers, and of course the color black (except for my S&W 642). I like pretty much anything that goes bang as long as it doesn't dislocate my shoulder or break my hand.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I used to be more into hunting - lever-action rifles and double-barrel shotguns. Now that I focus more on defensive weapons, I like Glocks and pump-action shotguns.

My taste in handguns varies from time to time but my opinion that a scatter gun is numero uno for HD hasn't ever faltered.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

No...I pretty much stick to what works best for me.

I have two EDC's that are different. My Kimber Ultra and my Glock-36.
    I like both of them, and switch back and forth for periods of time...I feel equally comfortable with either tucked IWB/SOB palm out draw over the kidney.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have been really wanting to get a few more long guns. Maybe in the .223 flavor?
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

GLOCK 23..........Beretta 96..........Mossberg 500A..........Winchester 30-30..........S&W M&P

I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6!

They are changing as I grow as a firearms enthusiast. For carry I started with a small semi auto, moved to a larger semi auto and now Ive gotten into the revolvers.

I think I can make all of them work for me in different carry situations.

But, Im a collector and Ive been buying a gun of some sort almost every other week for the last few months.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Mine changes every so often too. Right now I'm on revolvers, but feel a AR-15 bug coming on. Sometimes I only want auto's, then revolvers, then rifles, on and on.

I stay pretty consistent on EDC (G27). I bought a couple more pistols and got the itch for revolvers. Got a couple of those and now I'm getting the itch for a shotgun or rifle...so, I'm in the research stage and hope to buy one in the next few months. After that, I may crave an "Assault Weapon."
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

No my tastes never changed. I always pretty much liked 'em all and still do. (except for the ones made of plastic) I did once get rid of all my auto handguns except one (a 1911 .38 super with sentimental value) and got rid of all 9mm. I have since changed back and added two 1911 45s, a .40 cal, and a Sig 9mm just for good measure to keep me well rounded.

I will say that my idea of what makes a "complete collection" has steadily changed (and grown) over the years. Right now though, I think my collection is complete. I have one or two for pretty much every purpose I can imagine ever needing one for, unless I travel to Africa for buffalo or elephant hunting.(BTW: I'd like to get a Cape Buff one day, but don't really care to shoot an elephant)

In a few years I'll start working on completing my daughter's collection. She's already off to a good start. :-) and my wife's collection is complete.( for now)
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    They are changing as I grow as a firearms enthusiast. For carry I started with a small semi auto, moved to a larger semi auto and now Ive gotten into the revolvers.

I think I can make all of them work for me in different carry situations.

But, Im a collector and Ive been buying a gun of some sort almost every other week for the last few months.

I have been bitten by the same bug....

No. A 9mm semi-auto pistol with exceptional reliability, balance and feel, of decent capacity; a short 12ga shotgun for flexibility; lever-action rifles for simplicity. That's been the basic mix for a long while. Each works well, and I'm comfortable with each.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links