Wanting to open shop/range.

This is a discussion on Wanting to open shop/range. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a commercial lot I've been saving to do something with. I thought about opening a shop/range since there isn't one within 20 miles ...

Thread: Wanting to open shop/range.

Wanting to open shop/range.

I have a commercial lot I've been saving to do something with. I thought about opening a shop/range since there isn't one within 20 miles where I live. I know that I'm going to have to wait until demand and supply stabilizes. I need some comments about if you would or some recomendations? I've rec the app for my FFL just waiting for the right time to execute. I am going to try and get my instructors lic reguardless, even if I don't open a shop. Maybe I'll build a classroom. I'm looking for suggestions.
    "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto

2. Remove Ads

I sent you a PM. I will be glad to help you along the way..

I will check my mail tomorrow.
    Good night
    bosco

PM me for any questions. I've been behind the counter for a while now.

Where in Oklahoma is your business going to be? I might be your first customer!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Under wraps for now, trust me I will post as soon everything I need is approved.
    "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto

if i can make a quick sugestion rent fierarms if you pen the range and shop combo out local range/ shop that rents is allways buissy expecaly on weekends it also gies people an opertunity to find what there comfortable shooting wih inretun can boos buisness

Good Luck I know that right now the ammo situation is making it hard on ranges,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I've always wanted to open my own place as well. liability insurance here is a KILLER! I had a nice location picked out right off of a major street. Ahhhh well, maybe one day!

Good luck on your venture!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

GLOCK 23..........Beretta 96..........Mossberg 500A..........Winchester 30-30..........S&W M&P

I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6!

The NRA has a lot of good info and help for people who want to do what you're discussing. I looked into it once and walked away from it. Everyone on the town and county boards turned out to be rabidly anti and was going to go out of their way to make our life hell if not totally block the project.

Feel out the zoning board, commisioners, what have you and see what you might be in for from them. Also look into what you're facing hazmat wise for your state on top of any fed regs. That was another large issue for the location we were looking at. Even though I handed the spent bullets off to a disposal company I was going to be liable for their ultimate disposal for life in that locale.

Talk to a good business lawyer, you're going to need him anyway and he can probably tell you a lot about the local climate for your venture before you get in to far financially.

Consider getting the local PD on your side. We had a great talk with the sheriff and told him there would be LE discounts and we'd be willing to make blocks of time available for training. Their nearest range was a long drive for them and we did have the local sheriff firmly in our camp!

Good luck!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post

Consider getting the local PD on your side. We had a great talk with the sheriff and told him there would be LE discounts and we'd be willing to make blocks of time available for training. Their nearest range was a long drive for them and we did have the local sheriff firmly in our camp!

Good luck!
    This is a great advice and I may add to also invite Federal LEOS. It is amazing what a little letter or word from your local FBI SAC can help thing along.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK23FAN View Post
    I've always wanted to open my own place as well. liability insurance here is a KILLER! I had a nice location picked out right off of a major street. Ahhhh well, maybe one day!

Good luck on your venture!
    For gun store ? "cause you guys have one of the nicest ranges I've seen. Cheyenne Antelope Club. Outstanding range, great people and a bar!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

As my boss (store and range owner) says, be prepared to negotiate your salary down on every item you sell everyday. Everybody wants a discount at the gun store but they never haggle at the grocery store on a bottle of ketchup. Good luck on your venture. As an aside, try to work at an existing business if possible to see if this is something you want to pursue.

Replies about the goverment issues. Officers are begging the city to install a range for them in a city owned properety, they wont. One of the City Council members is my realtor. You have to have 80% objection from property owners within 400ft. The city inspector is into it. The ones to the East don't care, the ones to the North were out shooting squirrels in the trees the other day (within city limits). I own the property to the West the only ones I have to worry about are the ones to the South. They don't make 80%.

Quote Originally Posted by ccroom View Post
    I have a commercial lot I've been saving to do something with. I thought about opening a shop/range since there isn't one within 20 miles where I live. I know that I'm going to have to wait until demand and supply stabilizes. I need some comments about if you would or some recomendations? I've rec the app for my FFL just waiting for the right time to execute. I am going to try and get my instructors lic reguardless, even if I don't open a shop. Maybe I'll build a classroom. I'm looking for suggestions.
    Sounds like a cool idea. If I was in Oklahoma, I would come

Liability insurance is kiiller these days. I'm not sure if it's the best time to get into this industry, especially with ammo prices/shortage going the way that it has.

Links