Do you trust public shooting ranges?

This is a discussion on Do you trust public shooting ranges? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The only accessible outdoor range down here is a state run 1 in Markham park. They are VERY VERY VERY anal about rules. In fact ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you trust public shooting ranges?

The only accessible outdoor range down here is a state run 1 in Markham park. They are VERY VERY VERY anal about rules. In fact no rapid fire. It sucks!
    What's the point of a AR or AK if your stuck 1 round every 3-5 seconds.
    I was shooting my AK 1 day & wasn't doing it that quick & was told to slow down.
    Most indoor ranges make you buy their ammo & targets, I have my own stuff. The 1 I use is a POS crap hole but the guy & his wife that run it don't really care a whole lot on rules. Just basic stuff. But no rifles or anything above a 44magumn.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I usually shoot at a privately owned range which is open to the public. There are security cameras and employees keeping an eye on things.

Everyone I've ever seen there is properly behaved and I have not seen anything really stupid done. Still, because they let anyone in off the street and often times they are foreign students who had no prior gun experience in their own countries, I feel a tad uncomfortable at times.

There are no easy answers to the question of safety at any range. If the rules are too rigid and enforced in an unwelcoming way then it becomes an unfriendly place to be. And if the rules aren't made clear and aren't enforced it becomes a dangerous place to be.

The best we can do it assume that most folks, most of the time, will use some good sense and point out any serious lapses to the range master or owner.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    There is a range west of Colorado Springs that I have not gone to in years because of the unsafe envirnment. I have not heard of anyone getting hurt, but I am unwilling to take a chance. There is an Isaac Walton range open to the public which is safe and well run. I belong to a private members only range. I have had a few problems at the range but after a few words the problems were corrected.

One time I screamed for a cease fire because a young lady was firing from behind the firing line. Her dad was not paying attention, she was old enough and should have known better, I held her dad responsible. Members are responsible for their family and guests.

Quote Originally Posted by 2gunken View Post
    Do you trust public shooting ranges? I pose this question to ask another. How can WE “as shooters” make our public ranges safer. I feel like every time I go to the range I see some novice shooter putting everyone in danger. First time shooters walking around with loaded guns not pointed down range. Confusion with what to do in the event of a weapon malfunctions. Poor muzzle discipline. Inappropriate rapid fire. You just never know what the knucklehead next to you is going to do. Not everyone that has a gun knows how to use it and use it safely. So what do ya’ll think? What should we do? Or am I just paranoid.

Public ranges are PUBLIC, and with that said, it means anything goes as far as shooters. You'll have cops, sport shooters, experts, and people who might be picking up a GUN for the first time in their life, you just never know. Try to be vigilant to your surroundings, eye ball everyone to get a feel on other peoples mechanics/movements.

I go to a public range (small size) on off hours, being retired i have that option, but i've been to ranges (larger scale) over the years and it can get very busy, even for the range master to eye ball.

If you feel someone poses a real safety threat to the people on the range, reported it.

The only range I have shot at was boot camp over 40 years ago. Having lived most of my life in the desert or country, I have no need for ranges. I shoot with friends that know weapons, and we occasionally will bring new friends, family or others to shoot.

I am so anal about the 4 rules, that they aren't even allowed to handle a firearm if they even have to THINK as to what the rules are.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I am a member of a range that allows the public to shoot for a fee. It has good supervision and I have never had a problem there.

We also go out into the desert (plenty of it in AZ) when we have a group.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    The range I use on occasion is pretty quiet and usually it's just a couple of us out there, so it's easy to keep track of who's doing what and you can distance yourself from the other people and those there use the proper safety procedures. So we really don't have a problem at our range. Were just lucky that the ones there are courteous of each other.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Sounds like an anti-gun forum.

I thought I was on the wrong forum for a minute there.

So the anti's are right. People are running amuck out there with no training, and almost everybody with a gun is dangerous to themselves or others?

From reading this thread it sure sounds like it.

I been shooting at ranges (civilian, police, & military) for 26+ years and I can think of only maybe 3 - 5 times I've seen an unsafe act. Yes, some of these violations occurred with trained military and police personnel (Remember everybody gets a brain fart sometime in their life).

If in fact, there is all of a sudden a sudden increase in lack of common sense then we need to figure out a way to curb it. Not confronting the violators or range owners, or simply not going when nobody else is there, is not going to fix it.

I would hope that if a particular range really does have that many unsafe acts occurring, that either the owner of the range is made aware by letter, or some local oversight agency or ATF is notified.

Like was mentioned before there are dangerous and unlicensed drivers on the road, so are shooters at a range. If we see an unsafe driver we call 911. If we see an unsafe shooter we must notify the range owner/official.

2gunken, was this an unmanned range?

I just go out in the middle of nowhere to shoot usually. I dont like someone looking over my shoulder while im shooting anyway.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Do you trust public shooting ranges?
    Nope. Knuckleheads? I've seen a lot of 'em by golly. I'm in a members only club now, and most of the time, I have the range to myself. I still see some things I'm not quite comfortable with whenever there are a few shooters at any range. I 'm guessing I just have higher standards.

I belong to a great club! It has over 600 members now, and doing great. Yes there are some reports of idiots - but personally I haven't seen them yet, but I tend to go when there isn't many people around.

Even when there isn't a lot of people around, the range officers are always driving by, checking badges and watching for the idiots!

Even though we have multiple shooting ranges, for the most part people try to find an empty range or really space themselves out so there is only 1 or 2 to a range. I have never seen more than 3 on a range that fits 5 or 6 people.

www.scarfg.org
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

I quit going to public ranges...too crowded, unsafe, and lousy facilities.

I pay extra to join our privat shooting club. There are 400-500 members, open sunrise to sunset everyday, two-thirds of the members have earned their RSO which allows them to use a separate metal target range with the ability to draw from retention. This has obviously increased safety awareness.

I've never seen more than just a few shooters at one time, and the place is immaculate.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I shoot on a public range due to the fact there are very few private ranges or land to shoot on. The range I shoot at has strict rules and a camera set up. Screw up more then once and you are out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    I shoot on a public range due to the fact there are very few private ranges or land to shoot on. The range I shoot at has strict rules and a camera set up. Screw up more then once and you are out.
    If the guy NEXT to you screws up once, YOU may be gone!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links