Do you trust public shooting ranges? - Page 3

Do you trust public shooting ranges?

This is a discussion on Do you trust public shooting ranges? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I also stopped going to public ranges and joined a private club. Great facility, each new member goes through an orientation, including demonstrating that you ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you trust public shooting ranges?

Ron
    I also stopped going to public ranges and joined a private club. Great facility, each new member goes through an orientation, including demonstrating that you know how to shoot and handle a gun in a safe manner.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Small private club only for me. I choose my times to avoid other shooters. I have met and will shoot with two other members when we are there at the same time. I do take the DW frequently and she does not like it when others are shooting. I can shoot at home on my own property but I do not like to shoot the big noisy stuff here at home.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I haven't really encountered anyone practicing poor gun safety, then again I usually go on the weekdays when everyone else is working or at school. Everyone I see at the range keeps an eye on each other, and when it gets busy, the range has 3 safety officers on site keeping an eye on things. One particular range has some really bogus rules, but due to the location, I put up with them because the range I prefer takes 45 minutes to get to and only go to that one when I am not going alone.

For now I trust them, but I be sure to keep a close eye on other shooters.

Weekends in my experience are bad times to go to public ranges, because I've had hot brass land on me and sometimes down my shirt, and some questionable individuals are known to come out just to make noise and not really bother to hit the target which is 10 yards away.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    After being shot at on an outdoor range at the ripe old age of 12, you might say I'm a little sensitive about others and how they handle a weapon.
    If I am at the range and somebody does something ignorant and the RSO is not present, I lay my firearm down, pointed downrange and politely tell the person, please don't do that again, I have been shot at once and it's not an experience I want to repeat. If they don't immediately correct their actions I will find the RSO and see to it the problem is corrected.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    To shoot at our "public" club, an NRA certified RSO must be present AND strictly obeyed. They watch people like a hawk! (Believe me; I know, I am one.)

Indoor continuous shooting ranges keep me on HIGH ALERT because the RSO is usually in another room and could not act fast enough to stop anyone from doing something stupid.

I don't trust mine, I go to private clubs to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogbones View Post
    No...I don't trust mine, don't give mine time of day anymore. I go to some land that I'm free to shoot on.
    I wish I had that option... I go to the CE range which is run by the DNR and most of the time sensible people are there but sometimes you run into complete FOOLS... DANGEROUS FOOLS who have very little respect for safety... but I see them just about every where these days.

What I need to do is get into a private shooting club and hope these clowns will be filtered out... and some times you see these same clowns are parents or husbands teaching their families how to shoot and you can tell the "instructor" is ignorant when they call a .22LR a toy around their kids etc and when they load guns behind others.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Last time I went to the local public shooting range, I got stuck next to the gangsta wannabes who were spraying their 4' x 4' target.
    I asked an RO to please stand behind them, as I didn't feel like getting swept, or worse, shot. They must have went through 500 rds in 1/2 an hour.
    I stick to the desert now.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    The range I use belongs to an FOP lodge. I love it there, even if it doesn't have all the bells and whistles like gun rental, ammo sales, and indoor toilets. I feel very safe and confident (extremely important to me as a noob and as someone who's child goes there) because the majority of folks there are well-trained LEOs, military, etc. No wannabees, and the only uneducated morons there are...well, just me, but I learn fast and understand the basics :) It's nice to know that everyone there is a good guy. And the prevailing mentality there that I've noticed is that it's VERY courteous and respectful, and if they see that you're new, or maybe have problems or questions, they offer help in a very kind manner. It's not like "you idiot, why are you even here?"

I got the "little lady/you idiot" treatment from a public range over the phone when I just called to ask about rental prices!

Plus, the FOP range hosts monthly 3-gun competitions, I believe. And it's under $100 for an annual membership!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

It may not go over well, but I'd suggest a membership of some kind that is recieved only after the person proves their safe gun handling. The "membership card" could be presented on entry to the range. So, I guess I am saying a "private range" then, with membership. It certainly would make me feel better. Good question!
    +1, as part of being a pistol club member here in NZ all new shooters have to go through a probationary period to ensure they learn and know safe gun handeling and range rules.

We have safety zones where shooters can tune \ fix their guns (no ammo allowed in these zones)

When shooting we have range officers on duty who open the range for use, close the range, check guns are empty, then allow people to go forward to score targets. Its all very organised...as it should be.

We also have holster qualification course to ensure only experienced shooters are shooting loaded from the holster. No badge no shooting from the holster.

New shooters or visitors when shooting should always be accompanied by someone who knows safety, and that person should be able to take control of the gun at all times, not standing next to them shooting as well.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

I loathe public shooting ranges, not being used to shooting around others.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I don't trust them.

Check out this video. Guys shoots himself in the hand. You can see the bullet hole in his hand about 36 seconds into the video.

YouTube - Guy shoots himself with a Glock 18 17 Converted
    --- Learning to reload.

I only go to to the public range long enough to put some rounds down range. If some knuckle heads come in I leave.
    We can't stop here...this is bat country.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreentie View Post
    I don't trust them.

Check out this video. Guys shoots himself in the hand. You can see the bullet hole in his hand about 36 seconds into the video.

YouTube - Guy shoots himself with a Glock 18 17 Converted
    You would think his buddies would have told him not to use his hand as a rest, thats just bad.
    We can't stop here...this is bat country.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    The more I read this thread, the more I like my range and don't think I want to go to a public one now.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links