Swapping my 1911 for Ruger 10/22 (good idea?)

This is a discussion on Swapping my 1911 for Ruger 10/22 (good idea?) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well ive been using my G19 alot lately and the Para 18-9 LDA Ltd has been sitting a while. I recently came accross a new ...

Thread: Swapping my 1911 for Ruger 10/22 (good idea?)

Swapping my 1911 for Ruger 10/22 (good idea?)

Well ive been using my G19 alot lately and the Para 18-9 LDA Ltd has been sitting a while.

I recently came accross a new Ruger 10/22 USA Shooting Team edition with Burris rings and Leupold Scope, a very nice varmit rifle indeed. Ive already got a SW41 Target Pistol and a Taurus PT99 so my train of thought is a nice varmit rifle will complete my collection (I intend to shoot rabbits on my inlaws farm) and with just me and my partner we dont really need 3 9mms.

So if the gun dealer decides to do a straight trade do you reckon this is a good deal ? or is a 1911 a must have item in any pistol collection ?.

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heylin View Post
    Well ive been using my G19 alot lately and the Para 18-9 LDA Ltd has been sitting a while.

I recently came accross a new Ruger 10/22 USA Shooting Team edition with Burris rings and Leupold Scope, a very nice varmit rifle indeed. Ive already got a SW41 Target Pistol and a Taurus PT99 so my train of thought is a nice varmit rifle will complete my collection (I intend to shoot rabbits on my inlaws farm) and with just me and my partner we dont really need 3 9mms.

So if the gun dealer decides to do a straight trade do you reckon this is a good deal ? or is a 1911 a must have item in any pistol collection ?.

A 1911 is not a needed weapon in my inventory, but I'm old fashioned, I like my Ruger GP100. I say go shoot the varmits partner.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Well, first off, your ideas and my ideas of a varmint gun are a bit different. That is a sweet looking 10/22 target rig though, and with scope is probably worth more than your Para pistol. Secondly, I wouldn't be having a 1911 style pistol in any caliber other than 45acp. Third, I love the Ruger 10/22 target models and using them in competition such as silhouette. For around the farm and 100yds with 22lr, you'll be more than happy with a rifle like that, and no sense in letting that LDA laying around collecting dust any longer. The trade would be worth it to me if I was in your spot. I'm almost sure that would be a limited edition and a nice collector piece to have and not shoot as well.

Secondly, I wouldn't be having a 1911 style pistol in any caliber other than 45acp.
    Yeah I know .45 is better for SD (marginally :)) but I orginally got it for IPSC Production Class which I never really got into (or even started), CCW is illegal here in NZ anyway so my 9mms are all for target \ sport.

In saying that the G19 is good for me as a range plinker, production class option, and mabey CCW if it ever becomes legal (ooooo look a flying pig). I keep some 9mm JHPs in my ammo stock waiting for that day :) but until then im happy with target shooting.

The Ruger and the Para are that close in retail price? Unless that 10/22 has a stainless steel receiver, I'd pass. I would trade the Para for a second G19.

I would do it only if you will still have a weapon that you can conceal.

My 10/22 is a cheap little modified fun-gun so I know how much you'll enjoy it
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

10/22 and kill some critters

Quote Originally Posted by ErikGr7 View Post
    10/22 and kill some critters
    What he said
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I have the first usst 10/22 commemorative I gave to my wife,It is fun to shoot the only downside is they are right handed stocks and I shoot lefty I would go with what your needs are
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I doubt that he's going to do a straight trade. My guess is he's going to want about $250 plus your gun.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member
    Noooooooo!!!!!!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I doubt that he's going to do a straight trade. My guess is he's going to want about $250 plus your gun.
    Yep bang on, he offered $1100 NZD and wants $599 NZD top up. Crazy considering a new G17 at his shop if $1200 NZD, and to get my Para new not including holster and grips is $2300 NZD.

So Im thinking of selling Private and getting a quick sale.

Also leaning towards a Remington 597TVP now, apprently a better shooter and slightly cheaper so can spend the savings on a nice supressor to complete the package.

So my collection will be

.22 Rilfe for Varmits
    .22 Pistol for Target
    9mm fullsize
    9mm compact

Im thinking my final toy will either be a high power rifle such as a Dragunov in 7.62,

or an HK Tactical Rifle in .45ACP.

Crazy to think these weapons are classed as A cat here in NZ, meaning they are less stringent on control than pistols.

Links