Landlord says No Guns (Ohio)

This is a discussion on Landlord says No Guns (Ohio) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recall reading somwhere that one of the recent bills that was passed in Ohio, makes it illegal to prohibit a Tenant from keeping firearms ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Landlord says No Guns (Ohio)

I recall reading somwhere that one of the recent bills that was passed in Ohio, makes it illegal to prohibit a Tenant from keeping firearms in the dwelling.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

My new apartment says no guns. I'd like to have the text of the Law available if I'm ever caught.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Move to Michigan, I encourage CCW in my apartment building...
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    I recall reading somwhere that one of the recent bills that was passed in Ohio, makes it illegal to prohibit a Tenant from keeping firearms in the dwelling.

My new apartment says no guns. I'd like to have the text of the Law available if I'm ever caught.
    A lease basically gives ownership rights for the duration of the lease term. Something sounds fishy.

VIP Member
    I remember seeing something about it somewhere. You might post here and get a reference for it:

Buckeye Firearms Association | Defending Your Firearm Rights

Just curious, is it written into your lease, or just postedf in the complex?

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post

That would stink in my book. I'm sure they have something that states they can put further restrictions in place. Be sure to check carefully and what if they don't, the money spent on fighting it might not be worth it. Find a different apartment building.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Uck...That is just sickening
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

It would have to be a law... which I cannot find right now (perhaps because there isn't one)?

Ohio's Landlord Tenant Law can be found here:

Lawriter - ORC - CHAPTER 5321: LANDLORDS AND TENANTS

Here is the section on rental agreements:

Lawriter - ORC - 5321.06 Terms and conditions of rental agreement.

A landlord and a tenant may include in a rental agreement any terms and conditions, including any term relating to rent, the duration of an agreement, and any other provisions governing the rights and obligations of the parties that are not inconsistent with or prohibited by Chapter 5321. of the Revised Code or any other rule of law.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

yeah...I'd have that cleared up before signing the lease and moving in as well as clearing up having a German Shepherd as well
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

So whats the problem?

I bet the tenant agreement says no pets, no smoking, no illicit drugs, and no more than one parking spot per tenant may be used long term.
    How much you want to bet ll of these will be broken and none of them real world enforceable?

If you are not asked directly then do not tell.
    If you are asked directly to tell what they want to hear then tell what they want to hear.
    Move on with your life, do not shoot guns off of your balcony porch or have NDs into your TV and walls while 'cleaning' your gun(s), and don't run off at the mouth to any neighbor about how you were at the range last week or that you carry now because crime in the 'hood has gotten bad.

Live and let live.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

+1 Janq Live and let live
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

What you are looking for is SB184

· Provides that a landlord may not prohibit or restrict a tenant who is a concealed handgun licensee and who on or after the effective date of the act enters into a rental agreement with the landlord for the use of residential premises, and the tenant's guest while the tenant is present from lawfully carrying or possessing a handgun on those premises and provides that this provision is an exception to the general authority of a person who is the owner or person in control of private premises or a private lessee of governmental premises to post a sign prohibiting persons from possessing firearms on those premises (see next dot point for definitions) (R.C. 2923.126(C)(3)(b)).

· Provides that for purposes of the previous dot point, "residential premises" has the same meaning as in the Landlord and Tenant Law, except it does not include a dwelling unit that is owned or operated by a college or university, and provides that "landlord," "tenant," and "rental agreement" have the same meanings as in the Landlord and Tenant Law (R.C. 2923.126(C)(3)(c)(i) and (ii)).
    This passed last year i believe.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    What you are looking for is SB184

This passed last year i believe.
    Thanks. That's what I was looking for. Looks like it only pertains to my handguns though. Oh well. I'm gonna keep the AR and Shotty anyway.

Maybe I'll get one of those violin cases for transporting to and from my car.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Not something I would stay up nights worrying about.
    Do not ever give your landlord or other tennants a reason to believe that you have any weapons (or that you CCW).

Stay armed...be able to defend your home...stay safe!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; May 2nd, 2009 at 02:24 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Personally, I wouldn't live in an apartment complex which was known for disarmed residents.

Seems like a criminal magnet.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    My apartment complex is same way. No firearms, or explosives.

They don't enforce it except those who are the trouble makers though. Never even batted an eye, when they saw my ammo by the front door.

10k+ of assorted rounds.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links