Glock Recoil Springs

Glock Recoil Springs

This is a discussion on Glock Recoil Springs within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was thinking about trying a dual action recoil spring by Fire Dragon or the Recoil Management System by Sprinco, to reduce the felt recoil ...

Distinguished Member

Glock Recoil Springs

I was thinking about trying a dual action recoil spring by Fire Dragon or the Recoil Management System by Sprinco, to reduce the felt recoil and muzzle flip on my G23. Have any of you tried them? I don't want to waste $80 dollars if you don't think it helps and is 100 % reliable. I saw them on Brownells website when I was looking at the steel guide rods.

http://www.efkfiredragon.com/index.php

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://www.sprinco.com/

~ added by QKS ~

My Glock works perfectly, and other than night sights, it's going to have everything remain stock...everything.
    People begin having problems when they try making a great thing, just good. OMOYMV

Stay armed...keep it basic...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

they make a metal rod that goes inside the plastic guide rod. i use one for my g23. it keeps the plastic rod from flexing. works just a well as the dual action kit.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Administrator
    Sprinco has been making them for a long time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I do know one person with severe arthritis that is using the EFK and he really likes it and has had no function related problems. I don't know of anybody that is using the Sprinco in a GLOCK but, I know that they work fine in a 1911.

Both work on exactly the same principle and the secondary spring does not "kick in" until after ejection.

If I had to choose between the two I would probably go with the EFK FireDragon due to the Chrome Silicon secondary spring.
    I am sold on Chrome Silicon recoil springs but, honestly I would say "take your pick" between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    they make a metal rod that goes inside the plastic guide rod. i use one for my g23. it keeps the plastic rod from flexing. works just a well as the dual action kit.
    I have used these, and still have them for some of my Glocks. I have gone to all steel guide rods with factory rated springs now, captive and non-captive. One of these I have for my G19 is a flat spring. All of these work very well IMO. If you are looking solely to mitigate recoil, I'd still say the number one step would be to choose a different gun, a different size, or a different caliber.

I would stay stock and have a spare on hand. I get my parts from Lone Wolf. Muzzle flip is easy enough to control with a locked wrist and a thumbs forward grip.

If felt recoil is an issue, RamRod is spot on.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Distinguished Member
    Thanks for the replies and advice.

Ram Rod which do you like better captive or on captive guide rods, that is what I was originally looking for when I saw the dual action ones.

My G17, G22, and G27 sport the non captive round springs, and my G19 has the captive flat spring from LWD. They really can't be compared except the fact that the captive assemblies are easier to reinstall after a cleaning tear down. You never want to kink a spring putting your pistol back together. Either way you go, you can buy different rate springs. Factory, or +/- 2lbs. I've gone with the factory spring ratings on all my Glocks. Only pistol I've ever played with different spring ratings is the 1911s. Tungsten rods add weight under the muzzle and are available as well. Lots of options, but once you start playing with different spring ratings and the recoil systems, it affects the operation of the whole pistol more than you may realize. It's kind of like taking dietary supplements....you may be healthier, but you may shorten your lifespan. Why did I replace my Glock rods with solid metal ones? Stress. How would you like to fly in a plastic airplane?

jfl
    In my younger years, I loved tricked out cars, like a lot of kids then.
    Now I enjoy the reliability of OEM.

The same reasoning applies to my gun; I have a tricked out XP-100 for IHMSA but my SD Glocks are absolute stock; even the night sights are OEM.

Anyways, you cannot improve perfection
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

I went with night sights and a stainless guide rod on my G19. I kept the flat spring and stock spring rate rather than going to a round cross section coil spring or more complex staged spring rate system. You will likely only notice it (recoil response) during target shooting. In a defensive scenario everything is on automatic and you may not notice the bang, recoil or anything about your weapon.

I'd leave it stock; One thing I would do, however, is join the GSSF and go to their yearly match. While you are there, walk up to the Glock Armorers' table and tell him that you feel the recoil of the gun has changed.

The Armorer will then proceed to change out every spring in the gun, explaining it is for liability reasons, they don't want anything happening to you or the gun during the match.

So, just a casual remark will get you a new spring set in your gun AND you get to shoot the Glock match. I do this every year without fail. The match cost is 25$ as is the yearly membership. So I spend 50 bucks + the ammo, and I probably get half of it back when the Armorer puts in a new set of springs.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member
    Already a member, it saved me $125 on the pistol plus a extra mag.

Links