Question About Snap Caps

Question About Snap Caps

This is a discussion on Question About Snap Caps within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've seen a couple of different brands of snap caps in my travels. One brand's product looks transparant and you can see a spring inside ...

Question About Snap Caps

I've seen a couple of different brands of snap caps in my travels. One brand's product looks transparant and you can see a spring inside and another I saw just looks like a red anodized solid aluminum round.

My question is: Do snap caps auto-extract? Sounds stupid I'm sure, but I've never used them so I don't know. The brands I've seen have 5 to a pack so either they get worn out easily and that's why you have extras or I'm missing something.

Looking for another way to practice.

Thanks.

They are supposed to......Yes!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't know that I'd say the ones I've used "auto"-extract but they do extract when I rack the slide. (FYI: clear blue with visibility of internal spring). They can be great to have someone throw a couple in a few magazines randomly to practice a couple different scenarios... rack-tap-bang... confirm fundamentals... are you anticipating the break and subsequent shot and push pistol down... so on and so forth.
    --
    Rayford

Quote Originally Posted by CCWCitizen View Post
    ....The brands I've seen have 5 to a pack so either they get worn out easily and that's why you have extras or I'm missing something.

Looking for another way to practice.

Thanks.
    I use mine for failure drills at the range. My wife loads my mags with one hidden in them somewhere. It's always a surprise. And sometimes, I lose them.

5 to a pack also makes sense for wheel guns. That way you can dry fire until your finger is sore... every cylinder of a 5 shot revo has a snap cap in it.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    They are supposed to......Yes!
    Err...I think he meant that if the trigger is pulled, will the cap eject from the chamber??? (correct me if I'm wrong). This obviously does not happen.
    HK45c V1

I have never had a snap cap from anybody that auto ejects. How is that suppose to happen? It takes blow back gases to jack the slide to eject a shell. No puny little spring is going to do that, at least not for me.

That's what I wa getting at - the automatic ejection of the snap cap the same way brass is ejected. I was thinking the same thing about the gasses being necessary, but I wasn't sure especially when I saw that spring. For all I knew maybe there was some serious spring tension that forced the process, but what do I know.

I like I idea of randomly loading them to go through failure drills. That's probably something that's otherwise hard to replicate. If I buy them that's something else I can do with them.

If they did eject on their own that would be cool though. Part of me had this vision of practicing at home as I went through a mag of 5 snap caps

VIP Member
    Ok, here’s the deal. They’re both intended for training in the safe handling of ammo, loading, dry fire trigger drills, etc. The blue colored plastic version will wear sooner than the red alloy version. As such, the red alloy "A-Zoom's" are better suited for semi-autos due to the slide action/extraction wear. The blue plastic variants are Ok, and will last just as long in revolvers.

BTW: This is all based on my personal opinion and experience.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    Err...I think he meant that if the trigger is pulled, will the cap eject from the chamber??? (correct me if I'm wrong). This obviously does not happen.

Yes...brain fart here (if I sounded like I meant something else), I'm just thinking about racking the thing as if a drill.
    Putting a snap cap somewhere in the mag to simulate a 'dud'...then doing the drill...is what I was referring to......it should come out just like any other 'dud'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks for the input guys and apologize about the misplacement of the post. I put it in the training section because it seemed like the most logical to me, but that's what I get for using my logic

Thanks again.

Links