Frustrated by my wife's response

Frustrated by my wife's response

This is a discussion on Frustrated by my wife's response within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife and I were watching tv a week or so ago, and they were talking about the recent hyjacking/piracy of cargo ships. The question ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated by my wife's response

VIP Member

Angry Frustrated by my wife's response

My wife and I were watching tv a week or so ago, and they were talking about the recent hyjacking/piracy of cargo ships. The question was asked; "how do we prevent this sort of thing from happening?" And my immidiate response was, "arm the crews of those ships."

My wife responded, "not everything is solved with gun violence!"

I couldn't believe my ears! How is arming these people "gun violence"?

I said that arming the crews of these ships isn't gun violence, it PREVENTS gun violence.

What do you guys and gals think about this? I was very frustrated by it, I haven't been able to "cure" my wife of her mentality (yet) hopefully.
    Last edited by sigmanluke; May 4th, 2009 at 01:15 PM. Reason: grammar
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Your wife is right. Not everything can be solved with gun violence; some things can.

Whether or not the pirate problem can be solved at all until Somalia is more politically stable is speculation. Arming crew to prevent a boarding is still an act of last resort, when other things like convoys and making the ship near impossible to board physically, have failed. That's not to say there isn't a role for armed guards and armed crew, just that by the time pirates are scrambling on board, other measures have already failed and armed response is all that is left short of paying the ransom.

Guns are the last resort for use in "the gravest extreme."

Not everything is solved by asking bad people to play nice, either.

Some things are only solved by gun violence, or the threat of gun violence.

But you knew that already.

No words of wisdom from me: my wife feels about the same as yours. Just do your thing, double your preparation and SA because you're on your own with her condition-white mentality, prepare for the worst, and hope for the best.

Arming the ships is not "increasing gun violence." It is equalizing the force, rather than the disparity of force that the pirates are now exploiting. Think of it as a school bully. The bully never picks on a target who can defeat the bully. The bully wants a guaranteed victory. So do the pirates. Ever hear of a pirate attack against a Navy ship? I don't think so...

WOW... how long have you been married? Just wondering.

My wife exactly the opposite. She thinks we should start picking them off before their little dinghy even gets close to the ship.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I find it funny, I know almost no female friends that are close that arnt like wanting to put Snipers and RPGs on the ships. Heck one of my sisters came to me and my dad on help arming a friend when he goes into international waters. We asked him only one question, do you want to stop them before they get on the boat or afterwards? Shotgun for on, anything like a .303 .30-06 would do the long range job.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Did you ask her what her solution or suggestions would be to prevent an unarmed ship/crew to defend itself against multiple heavily armed ships/pirates?
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    WOW... how long have you been married? Just wondering.

My wife exactly the opposite. She thinks we should start picking them off before their little dinghy even gets close to the ship.
    It will be 12 years on the 17th of this month.

Long-guns don't bother her, just pistols. She grew up in a family of hunters, and she loves the outdoors. However, she likes hunting and guns less and less the older she gets. She does NOT like that I carry, and usually gets mad about it when she notices that I am.

The more I get into guns and self defence, the more she dis-likes it. I am not a fanatic or anything, I only own 5 guns, (2 pistols and 3 rifles). There are lots more I would buy if I could get away with it, but that's a waste of money to her.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaRedneck View Post
    Did you ask her what her solution or suggestions would be to prevent an unarmed ship/crew to defend itself against multiple heavily armed ships/pirates?
    Yes......her advice was to pay the ransom.

I told her that the more ransoms that get paid, the more ships that get pirated.

Somehow, she does not agree.
    Thomas Jefferson

yeah that's it. That's like the high school girl that sleeps around. Do you think other people are goning to not try the same? If one can do it and get away with it then it leaves the door open. If the people who are getting boarded are armed and blast them SOB's, the others will see that there not jacking around anymore. You wanna bet the next one will be weary. DAM* STRAIGHT they will.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Your wife is right. Not everything can be solved with gun violence; some things can.

Whether or not the pirate problem can be solved at all until Somalia is more politically stable is speculation. Arming crew to prevent a boarding is still an act of last resort, when other things like convoys and making the ship near impossible to board physically, have failed. That's not to say there isn't a role for armed guards and armed crew, just that by the time pirates are scrambling on board, other measures have already failed and armed response is all that is left short of paying the ransom.

Guns are the last resort for use in "the gravest extreme."
    The pirate problem will be solved when piracy stops being profitable. It is that simple.

Firearms would not be used as the pirates are scrambling aboard, Hopyard. They would be used before the pirates reach the ship. That happens to be the whole point.

Making the ship nearly impossible to board physically is best accomplished by armed guards.

Are you seriously saying that convoys of ships full of armed men is less extreme than arming one ship? That makes little to no sense.

VIP Member

Pirates fought off passenger ship with pistols

Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post
    Firearms would not be used as the pirates are scrambling aboard, Hopyard. They would be used before the pirates reach the ship. That happens to be the whole point.
    I think you missed a news report from last week or so in which pirates attacked a passenger ship. The initial response came from the passengers who hurled chairs at the pirates. Then, armed guards arrived and fought the pirates off with, believe it or not, pistols.

The only point I was trying to make, and it is perfectly sensible to anyone who isn't just looking to find a reason to argue, is that the point at which folks are going at it with guns is past the point where other measures have broken down and failed. That is true of pirates, it is true of home invasions, it is true of armed robbery of stores.

The gun is the last resort.

My Dad feels that if we ain't going to kill the SOB's we should set up a toll, and EVERY ship that passes the pirates waters Should pay A "Million Dollars"... Muuuuhahaha ( My Dr. Evil Impression). To the Pirates.
    Oh my Bad, I mean the "Somalia Coast Guard" Per Al Sharpton.
    Why put innocent people in harms way with no defense?

Tell her to do research on the danegeld and see how well that works out.If they had killed a few pirates in the beginning insted of paying them off you wouldn't have this problem now.

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    It will be 12 years on the 17th of this month.
    Well thats a good thing.

Long-guns don't bother her, just pistols. She grew up in a family of hunters, and she loves the outdoors. However, she likes hunting and guns less and less the older she gets. She does NOT like that I carry, and usually gets mad about it when she notices that I am.
    Wow, that sucks. Sorry to hear that. I sure hope it doesnt become a serious point of contention for you.

The more I get into guns and self defence, the more she dis-likes it. I am not a fanatic or anything, I only own 5 guns, (2 pistols and 3 rifles). There are lots more I would buy if I could get away with it, but that's a waste of money to her.

Really? I wonder why it is that she dislikes it more and more. No, 5 guns doesnt make you a fanatic. Heck Ive bought 5 guns in the last 6-7 weeks.

Man, I feel your pain and I thank God for my wife. She has been totally cool with it.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links