Getting my UZI through a possible gun ban ?

This is a discussion on Getting my UZI through a possible gun ban ? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It is not really a concealed carry question but I'd like to tap on the vast knowledge of this group to find an answer to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting my UZI through a possible gun ban ?

It is not really a concealed carry question but I'd like to tap on the vast knowledge of this group to find an answer to a question that bugs me.

In the 80's, when we were living in Los Angeles, my wife gave me an UZI she purchased at B&B sales, a major gun shop in the "valley".

B&B closed in the late 90's victim of the Clinton gun ban and the anti climate in South California.
    We lost the invoice.
    If an AWB happened how could I show we have owned it before the inception of the ban ?
    I thought of taking it to a gun shop to have it repaired, but there is nothing to repair ...
    Your input would be much appreciated !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

VIP Member
    Take it to be cleaned.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccman View Post
    Take it to be cleaned.
    Exactly - That receipt will show proof of ownership to an extent.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

A shot in the dark, but did you include it in your past house insurance info? If you did, your insurance info would include a serial number...think back!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Pardon the sarcasm, but you are kidding, right? Either go ahead and sell it, or plan on turning it in, at some point.

Unless there is a major revolt at the polls next year, we'll see a Great Britain-style progression- you'll have a nice trophy that you pay$$$ per year to store at your gun club, and your "ownership" may be revoked at any time.

Unless I am mistaken the feds have the proof. When the FFL closed shop all of their sales records go to BATF and get warehoused. So if there was ever any reason to quesiton ownership, all you would have to do is contact BATF and those good worker bees would have your papers for you in an instant! After all, being government employees they are here to help us!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Thanks for the replies !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Pardon the sarcasm, but you are kidding, right? Either go ahead and sell it, or plan on turning it in, at some point.

Unless there is a major revolt at the polls next year, we'll see a Great Britain-style progression- you'll have a nice trophy that you pay$$$ per year to store at your gun club, and your "ownership" may be revoked at any time.
    Well, I'll be turning 70 in 10 months, so I might not live long enough to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    A shot in the dark, but did you include it in your past house insurance info? If you did, your insurance info would include a serial number...think back!
    Got a "blanket" insurance for all my firearms, past, present and future.

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Unless I am mistaken the feds have the proof. When the FFL closed shop all of their sales records go to BATF and get warehoused. So if there was ever any reason to quesiton ownership, all you would have to do is contact BATF and those good worker bees would have your papers for you in an instant! After all, being government employees they are here to help us!
    Bu,t of course, why didn't I think of it
    True, they have a record; it is just that I trust them just as far as I can throw my Harley

Now, since my wife bought it as a present, it is under her name; could she sell to me and have the bill of sale notarized ???

jfl

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I guess I'm not following the conversation in this thread. Wouldn't an assult gun ban only ban the sale of new guns and not have anything to do with currently owned weapons?

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    I guess I'm not following the conversation in this thread. Wouldn't an assult gun ban only ban the sale of new guns and not have anything to do with currently owned weapons?
    You've never seen Cali have you? Bans there are retroactive often, so to the whole thing about a keeping it through a ban like that you are out of luck legally.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    No. It hasn't in Cali; it did not in GB, Scotland or Australia, etc., etc.. There does not even have to be "legislation." The ATFE may issue a Ruling, as a Federal Bureau, declaring any given item to be a restricted device (Google" USAS 12 ATF Ruling"), and require fees and registration as they deem appropriate. Wouldn't even clutter your congressman's desk a minute.

jfl, you're concerning yourself with compliance with future laws that are of "questionable" Constitutionality. That will not change enforcement of said laws. If you wish to comply, the most compliant means available to you is taking your Uzi to a pawn shop, then filling out the 4473 again to get it out of pawn. If you explain what you're doing to the broker, they'll probably log it in, have you come back in 24 hours and return the $100 (+/-)you "borrowed". Smith's logs are not "proof of ownership" per se.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I would take today's LA times front cover, put the UZI on it and take a few photos. Get some more good photos, get them printed, write the date on them, and put them somewhere safe.

If you are really paranoid, you can go to a FFL and fill out the transfer paperwork to yourself! Then make a copy. Pay $20 fee...

[QUOTE=nutz4utwo;1138589]I would take today's LA times front cover, put the UZI on it and take a few photos. Get some more good photos, get them printed, write the date on them, and put them somewhere safe.
    QUOTE]

Nice concept but slightly flawed execution. I have the Washington Star from when Apollo 11 landed on the moon. I can take a picture with my circa 1990 Sig on it. All that really proves is at one time I had an old newspaper and the pistol on the table at the same time. The newspaper picture thing really only works with hostages and kidnapping victims and a current newspaper to show that up until at least that date they are still alive. So it proves I had them after a certain date, but not before. What might work along those lines would be to take pictures of them, and see if you can get your signature notarized on the back of the pictures. You could then mail them to yourself or your lawyer and have the unopened envelope placed in a safe deposit box somewhere.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

But that is only if they know you have it???? Find a good hiding spot or make one under your house,. If they don't know you have it, they cannot try and take it,. :-)

I still stand on the 2nd amendment, and arms are arms,. A citizen has the right to own/bear arms.... plain and simple,. Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    I would take today's LA times front cover, put the UZI on it and take a few photos. Get some more good photos, get them printed, write the date on them, and put them somewhere safe.

If you are really paranoid, you can go to a FFL and fill out the transfer paperwork to yourself! Then make a copy. Pay $20 fee...
    The LA times would probably burst in flames when the UZI would be placed on it.

However, Photoshop made this kind of operation worthless.

Thanks for all your suggestions ... I kind of like the pawn shop idea.

jfl

I'm assuming that it's an Uzi carbine with a 16" barrel, correct?

Make it into a Short Barreled Rifle via a Form 1. NFA "Class 3" items have been virtually untouched for years. Whole other set of rules, and it will only cost you $200 bucks plus a barrel or the services of a gunsmith to cut yours.

Plus, it looks like it's supposed to, not awkward and nose heavy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links