Scoping a 30-30

Scoping a 30-30

This is a discussion on Scoping a 30-30 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am going to put a scope on my 30-30. I am about to turn 53 and my eyes aren't what they used to be. ...

Thread: Scoping a 30-30

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar

Scoping a 30-30

I am going to put a scope on my 30-30. I am about to turn 53 and my eyes aren't what they used to be. can't use open sites like I did in my earlier years. What I am wondering is fixed versus variable scopes. I would think something in the 4x range should be sufficient for a little deer hunting out to 100 yards. What do the rest of you think and/or use on yours.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I took off the 4x scope that was on my .35 Rem Marlin when I got it and put it on my model 60. My eyes are still good for where I hunt.

But yea a 4x scope should be fine for a lever gun since you won't be shooting anything over the 125-150 yd range anyway. One thing you will want to look at is the field of view with the scope. If your hunting in a fairly brushy area you probably want a larger field of view than if your hunting in a very open area.

Good luck.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Thanks for the heads up on field of view. Pretty heavily wooded areas around here.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I have a Ruger .44 carbine that I have a straight 2.5x scope on.

I've never wanted more magnification at the 100 yd limit to that little gun. I also find that 2.5x is low enough and has a wide enough field of view that I can track a moving target with both eyes open, which really helps stay on a moving deer in thick brush.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I do have one thing to say about scopes added just because of eye problems. Keep in mind that your eyes will change day to day, so one day you may need every bit of that scope other days the scope may get in the way. Ive always had problems with my eyes and it took me years to find this out.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

If this is a first scope get on the internet and study parallax before you make a purchase. Even fixed power scopes can have problems in this area. The distance you will normally shoot may determine whether you use fixed magnification or variable. If you have a wide range of yardages available due to different areas or terrain you will need to get familiar with your scopes parallax at those yardages. I hunt an area where I might shoot at 25 yards or 200 depending on where the deer comes out of cover. I shoot a 2.5 x 10 and have determined which magnification on the scope is most accurate at each. By the way, my eyes change from day to day also. It's something that regular practice will help you to deal with.

My eyes don't change day to day. I need reading glasses now and have noticed that I just can't see the detail at 100 yards I used to. I had 20/15 vision most of my life and I sure miss seeing that well now. I know it is just part of the aging process but I sure don't have to enjoy it.
    Mike
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    I had a 4x scope on the last 30-30 I had. I always thought it was a great combo. Wish I still had it.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Just went through this myself and finally ended up going with a shorter Parallax scope to accomadate the ranges I wanted the gun set up for, those being between 0-100 yards most often with a possible long situation as much as 150 yards.

So this finally dictated a shorter parallax of a Shotgun/Muzzle loader scope which is set at a 75 yard Parallax rather than the normal rifle setting or 100 yards. They call these shotgun/Muzzle loader scopes but they really are simply a scope set for a slightly shorter range. Optimal for closer ranges that most rifle scopes skip over. But not too much shorter.

The choice I finally made from that was a Leupold VX-I in 2-7 X 33mm. It can be had in both 75 and 100 yard parallax and another advantage of this scope is it is short and small. So it fits nicely on a Lever gun and can be mounted quite low as well.

It also has a very bold dark Duplex reticle. So it is very fast to come into view and line your shot up. Great for 30 30 lever gun set up for close fast shots. But yet reaches out to a decent range.

I have so far mounted it using a Weaver base and, for now I had these Medium rings that you will see here (which are about the shortest you can use on a 3-9 X 40mm scope) but I am not satisfied with the height of them with the 2-7 X 33, as you can see they can be shorter, so I will be changing them to a shorter set of rings.

But this does it for me. Short, in the right range of the guns use for me... and helps my old 52 (soon to be 53) year old eyes out too. My plan was to set up this 336C for moderate rifle range and duty. Longer and I already have bolt actions set up with those scopes and for those duties. I decided to set up the Marlin to be at its best from 30 to 100 yards. But I have found it still decent out to 150. Have not had a chance to try out further but I don't plan on using it much if that comes to be. I would grab one of the rifles set up for those longer ranges.

As you can tell, that is still not quite tight enough for me. But its getting there.

I might mention I accidentally have a second one of these scopes still sealed new in box that I need to move out. I messed up and ordered two of them and need to return this second one or sell it. $200 and I have until June 2nd to initiate a return so if anyone wants it I will eat shipping and ship it too you for $200 (the going rate for one of these).

I have eyes that are in their sixth decade, but I went a different route with my Marlin 336SS (30-30).
    I put on a fiber optic front sight...perfect, and with any sunlight, the front sight is easy to see.
    Works for me, and I kept the Marlin simple.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If you get a chance try to look through a quality 1x or 2 x scopes. They offer a wide field of view and make the target seem much brighter.

Michael

I'd pick a 30mm in 2.5 fixed or 4x fixed, with low profile mounts. I like it to be light weight and low so it doesn't change the handling that much.

I have one 30-30 that is open sighted and one that is scoped. I put a 30mm 2.5-6 on my Marlin, but don't like it because it's too heavy. I'm gonna change it out with a fixed scope when I get the chance.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    I'd pick a 30mm in 2.5 fixed or 4x fixed, with low profile mounts. I like it to be light weight and low so it doesn't change the handling that much.

I have one 30-30 that is open sighted and one that is scoped. I put a 30mm 2.5-6 on my Marlin, but don't like it because it's too heavy. I'm gonna change it out with a fixed scope when I get the chance.
    Take a look at the specs on the Leupold VX-I 2-7 X 33 Shotgun I mentioned... light as almost any fixed. Lighter than many of them actually.... That's why I mentioned it and that's why I chose it. You might find it works for you.

Check the specs on other variables too from them and other manufacturers. You'll see the difference in length and weight in this particular Leupold but only in the VX -I not the Rifleman. Two different beasts those two are. The Rifleman in same configurations is longer and heavier like most other manufacturers.

The VX-I 2-7 X 33 is light (10.5 ounces) ... and short (10.8 inches) and fairly affordable at $200. A good choice for the Lever guns I think.

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    Take a look at the specs on the Leupold VX-I 2-7 X 33 Shotgun I mentioned... light as almost any fixed. Lighter than many of them actually.... That's why I mentioned it and that's why I chose it. You might find it works for you.

Check the specs on other variables too from them and other manufacturers. You'll see the difference in length and weight in this particular Leupold but only in the VX -I not the Rifleman. Two different beasts those two are. The Rifleman in same configurations is longer and heavier like most other manufacturers.

The VX-I 2-7 X 33 is light (10.5 ounces) ... and short (10.8 inches) and fairly affordable at $200. A good choice for the Lever guns I think.
    I will check it out. thanks
    Mike
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post

10-4, I'm looking at either a 32mm fixed 4x either a Leupold or Nikon. Gotta get some money first. Right now I'm spending it all on additional reloading stuff. The scope will have to wait I guess.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Links