Oldest gun you own?

This is a discussion on Oldest gun you own? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 1863 springfiled. was given to me by my father-in law. I have had it for about 30 years. he said it was given to him ...

View Poll Results: How long have you had your oldest gun?

Voters
633. You may not vote on this poll
  • < 1 year

25 3.95%
  • 1-2 years

17 2.69%
  • 2-5 years

30 4.74%
  • 6-15 years

53 8.37%
  • 16-25 years

72 11.37%
  • > 26 years

436 68.88%
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Oldest gun you own?

1863 springfiled. was given to me by my father-in law. I have had it for about 30 years. he said it was given to him by his father,my father-in-law passed away at age 98 years......

2. Remove Ads

I was kind of confused with the pole. The gun I've owned the longest is well over 26 years so that's what I voted in the pole.

But the oldest manufactured gun I own is a circa 1860's - 1870's Sharps Pepperbox in .22 short. I acquired it from my mother-in-laws estate a couple months ago. Four fixed barrels with a rotating hammer.

The picture in the photo is not mine. Mine was a safe queen for the last 60 -70 years and is actually in better condition than the one in the photo. The bluing on mine is probably 98% original and intact. No corrosion on the brass and only one nick on the walnut grip.

bmcgilvray and blitzburgh like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

The oldest gun I have is my maternal Grandfather's .38 Colt New Army, man. in 1897. It was kind of rusty, so about 20 years ago I wrapped it in an old T-shirt, put it in a zip-lok bag and poured a quart of Valvoline 10W30 in it, stuck it in the top of a closet and forgot about it. About 5 years ago I took it out. It had a nice even brown patina on it. Ordered some parts and restored it mechanically and put some repro "hard rubber" grips on it. I would never think of trying to fire it, though.

These were the first revolvers made with swing-out cylinders, and the first double action revolvers in U.S. service. Sadly, they were put to shame against the hopped-up Moro insurgents in the Phillipines. As a quick fix the old .45 Single Action Army "thumb-busters" were brought back into service, to be replaced by the 1911 a few years later. And the rest, as they say.......
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Gun Owners of America lifetime member since last week.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Rock Island 1903 (1918 ) just under the 840,000 ser # at 803,xxx, so your not suppose to shoot it unless you use cas bullets.

All original!
    Are you certain it's a Rock Island with that serial number? Rock Island didn't manufacture 1903's to anywhere near that quantity.

Check out this neato link:

SPRINGFIELD ARMORY US MODEL 1903 RIFLE SERIAL NUMBER RANGES

Gen3;

I'd have to shoot that old Colt, at least a little on occasion. I have a U. S. Army contract .38 Colt New Army and I shoot it with scrounged .38 Long Colt factory loads or else with the mild handloads I make for it. Those old Colts can be lots of fun.

If the cylinder has a lot of slop though you might be better off not to shoot it. Lots of Colt New Army/New Navy revolvers turn up with cylinders that are pretty wobbly and don't lock up tightly in firing mode. Such revolvers will be prone to spit particles and I saw an instance where a fellow blew out a chunk of his forcing cone due to a loosy-goosey cylinder lock-up. It won't do to have bullets colliding into the forcing cone by catching an edge of it as they pass.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Winchester lever action in .32wcf made in 1902. Beautiful patina but she ain't safe to shoot. :(

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "With great firepower comes great responsibility."

C96 broomhandle

My oldest gun is a 1919-1921 Broomhandle C96....but I am perplexed...
    went to a gun show in Denver this weekend and was told it was worth $750 and close to $4,000 by two seperate dealers.

Now I am confused...the gun is in pristine condition and with matching serial numbers 481xx8 and appropriate proof markings on it.
    The one dealer at $750 said the grips were not original, the barrel marking of " 7.63 Mauser" was not original and there was line or
    cut mark on the barrel that means this was a rework that was done in the 90's. But that it was an excellent piece. He said to keep
    it and shoot it and have fun.

Well, the friend I got this from bought it in the early 80's...

Can anyone shed some light on this.

I have searched google for info and have come up short on reworks so want to know any info possible and whether this is original or not

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by UltimaRatio View Post
    Winchester lever action in .32wcf made in 1902. Beautiful patina but she ain't safe to shoot. :(

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Are you certain? It ought to be either a Model 1873 or a Model 1892. Both would be fine with current factory loads if they were in any kind of condition at all. I shoot a Winchester Model 1892 .32-20 (.32 WCF) all the time that was made in 1896.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Mossberg 500 Combo. Bought it at a Service Merchandise store 30 years ago.

The Oldest Shooter I have is a 1916 Erfurt Gew98 Mauser in 8x57.

USMC 75-79

The best defense is a completely overwhelming offense!!!

The "Thread" question is: "Oldest gun you own?" Answer: 9mm FEG (Hungarian copy of Browning Hipower)
    The "Poll" question is: "How long have you had your oldest gun?" Answer: more than 20 years

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    The gun I have owned the longest is my mosin nagant. I've had it for 4 years. Got it when I turned 18. It's 70 years old.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

Ooops, I misread the question. Never mind.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    One of my oldest guns is a Remington model 12C its second from the bottom of the table. I bought it a a yard sale from an Armenian neighbor who said her husband bought it right after they were married in 1919. That was 1978. He had imigrated here in 1914. I have since refinished the wood, replaced the but plate, and still like to take it rabbit hunting at least once a year. The old lady reminded me very much of my great grandmother, even tho they imigrated from differant places they shared a common attitude.

The gun Ive had the longest is at the top of the table. Its a Marlin 60 that I bought from Kmart for $29.95. Its had 10s of thousands of rounds through it. A few years back I freshened it up, replaced the stock and gave it to my middle son.

I kept the squirrel embossed original stock in case he ever wanted it back to original. DR

Looks like I should have read the other posts before making the same mistake.

I have owned it for about six months and my oldest being a 1926 Tula M91/30 Mosin Nagant
    Tada gan irracht - Nothing without effort

colt 22 cal new line single digit serial # , Aprox 1873, have had it for 35 years 2012-11-08 20.56.53.jpg
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Links