Mini rant , .22 ammo sucks

This is a discussion on Mini rant , .22 ammo sucks within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I got out shooting today. Took a few .22 pistols and my Walther PPS. I used Federal gameshock .22 lr ammo. It worked o.k. ...

Thread: Mini rant , .22 ammo sucks

Lead Moderator

Mini rant , .22 ammo sucks

So I got out shooting today. Took a few .22 pistols and my Walther PPS. I used Federal gameshock .22 lr ammo.
    It worked o.k. with no notable issues with cycling through my Buckmark . However once I took out the Ruger single six I noted a vast difference in velocity (sound and recoil) during shooting.
    I am sure some of the gas escapes from the cylinder/force cone area, but it was somewhat ridiculous . I actually saw a few rounds lob into the target and found one bullet that didn't penetrate both sides of the: cardboard box I was hitting.
    I expect some velocity variation, but this is too much.
    Gameshock is a good name however , because if I shot an animal with a slow moving bullet it would be thinking what just happened as it ran off.
    I still had fun shooting , but it would have been more enjoyable with a bit more accurate "box o bullets" that at least could group decently.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

2. Remove Ads

I do NOT like any Federal .22 ammo, I have had more trouble with it than any other brand.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Well, look on the bright side. You went shooting today. I did not. Is there any chance that there is a problem with your Ruger?

Maybe you just need to eat a better breakfast before you go shooting, Rock...

Stay armed...have two eggs and juice...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Federal bulk pack 38gr .22 LR is the most accurate and reliable ammo I have used through my particular gun (Ruger 10/22).

I have had more problems with CCI or Remington than any other ammo.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    Well, look on the bright side. You went shooting today. I did not. Is there any chance that there is a problem with your Ruger?
    I considered that , I think due to the revolver style it leaks more gas , therefore loses more velocity that the semi auto.
    While I am not expecting match grade accuracy, this is a bit much. This is my second bad batch of FEd .22 ammo, and probably the last .
    Geez Ret, guess you need to come shooting with me and see how bad /good I am
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I've given up on Fed bulk ammo. My Mark III never liked it, and before that my uncles woodsman didn't like it every once in awhile. Both guns feed just about any ammo sold in packs of 50, or those 100 packs of CCI that are a bit spendy. We thought it was the bulk ammo getting the bullet loosened and or cock-eyed from being loose. Certainly a loose bullet might have reduced pressure, more noticeable in the revolver since an autoloader would put some force on the bullet and reseat it a bit as it feeds.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I have never experienced multiple failures from a box of Federal bulk ammo. The very worst experiences in all of my Rugers (Mark II, 10/22, SA6) have been with Remington "Golden Bullets". It seems that at least 2-3% of them are either outright duds, or the bullets are seated 10 degrees out of plumb.

I have no experience with the gameshock line though.

surv

Federal Bulk Pack performs the best in my .22 guns. Check your cylinder gap on the revo. If you are over .006 in gap you are excessive. Not sure what Ruger specifically calls for but definitely no more than .006 gap.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Ive always had a habit of learning from others. When it comes to .22 ammo it is a craps shoot if it will work in your weapon. Do to the differances in weapon design differant ammo will function differantly, even in a single shot .22.
    I have a .22 single shot bolt action that loves Federal bulk, but hates CCI minimags, meanwhile my other .22 semi auto loves CCI minimags, and tolerates federal bulk. The only ammo I have ever really called crap in .22 was some old as heck no name brand .22s, literally half of them were duds or late fire rounds.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Federal bulk pack 38gr .22 LR is the most accurate and reliable ammo I have used through my particular gun (Ruger 10/22).

I have had more problems with CCI or Remington than any other ammo.
    I love that ammo!
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Administrator
    For sure certain brands of RimFire ammunition do not get along with some firearms.
    Semi-autos much more than wheel guns so your day yesterday was unusual.
    Sounds like a serious-bad case of incompatibility.

Well. at least you got to get out shooting yesterday...I was stuck at home.

Yeah I did not get to go shooting yesterday either!

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    Ive always had a habit of learning from others. When it comes to .22 ammo it is a craps shoot if it will work in your weapon. Do to the differances in weapon design differant ammo will function differantly, even in a single shot .22.
    I have a .22 single shot bolt action that loves Federal bulk, but hates CCI minimags, meanwhile my other .22 semi auto loves CCI minimags, and tolerates federal bulk. The only ammo I have ever really called crap in .22 was some old as heck no name brand .22s, literally half of them were duds or late fire rounds.
    Yep, just about ever .22 I've ever seen has some ammo that it hates and some that it likes. The best solution is to figure out what each gun likes and stick with it.

That being said, I've always found that a certain percentage of .22 rounds are always going to be duds (this is probably due to it being rimfire instead of center fire) and the percentage rises with the bulk packs.

Links