Guns a cheap hobby?

This is a discussion on Guns a cheap hobby? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by David in FL Guns are relatively cheap.......... shooting can be pretty darned expensive though! Then again, it's all relative. You want expensive? ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Guns a cheap hobby?

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Guns are relatively cheap..........shooting can be pretty darned expensive though!

Then again, it's all relative. You want expensive? Try fly fishing, or better yet, owning a sailboat!
    owning a sailboat is like flushing money down the toilet.
    worst investment

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    Someone beat me to it, never thought of owning a weapon as a hobby personally. It's a responsibility in my view. Gardening is a hobby, darts is a hobby, collecting baseball cards or coins is hobby, owning something that take a life is not a hobby.

My personal view here only.
    initially it starts out as a part of your responsibility, security, etc.
    but when does it turn into a hobby?
    S&W .460xvr magnum
    S&W .44 magnum 29-3
    Taurus 650 CIA .357 magnum

2. Remove Ads

Cheaper than R/C Helicopters.

Like most hobbies, at least the ones I tend to pick, Jeeps and guns being the ones I am most active with currently, guns are not really cheap. The initial purchase of the gun is probably the cheapest thing in the hobby.

So you buy a $500 gun, give or take a couple of hundred bucks on a pistol. Next you want a holster or six depending on what your doing with the gun and what you end up liking. I will skip the pistol accessories since I don't tend to add them on mine. Now we move to ammo. How much are you going to shoot. Well if it is a hobby your probably going to shoot fairly often. Since we are talking about hobbies I will not figure for the person that buys the gun and puts it in the nightstand and doesn't get used. But say you shoot every 2 weeks, and go through 100 rds of ammo when you do. On average that will cost you between 10 and 20 bucks a box before the ammo scare. So at 15 bucks every two weeks for 5 years you just dropped a couple of thousand bucks for the hobby.

Now if your really into the hobby and get into IDPA, IPSC, SASS or some other competition and shoot on a monthly basis, your probably going to be going through much more ammo than the casual hobby shooter, and of course the price and number of guns you have will increase as well.

So yea, if you truely shoot as a hobby it will be expensive, that is if you consider 10 to 50 dollars a week over the course of the hobby as being expensive.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RemMod597 View Post
    Cheaper than R/C Helicopters.
    Certainly cheaper than real helicopters. My brother paid $370,000.00 for his Robinson R44 Raven II.

Seems to me like most hobbies are awfully expensive. Cars, guns, music, etc. Guns for self defense aren't terribly expensive - buying a good but lower end gun and shoot it a few times a year will basically do.

However the way most people here do guns it gets awfully expensive. Sort of like how a car hobby gets a heck of a lot more expensive than simply owning a driving car.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    Seems to me like most hobbies are awfully expensive. Cars, guns, music, etc. Guns for self defense aren't terribly expensive - buying a good but lower end gun and shoot it a few times a year will basically do.

However the way most people here do guns it gets awfully expensive. Sort of like how a car hobby gets a heck of a lot more expensive than simply owning a driving car.
    Well said. I agree.

VIP Member
    Are guns a cheap hobby? I think that depends on two factors; which gun (s) and which caliber.

Handguns and rifles in .22 lr that will eat plain vanilla .22 are not an expensive big deal in the scheme of things.

Custom 1911s eating high end specialty ammo are another thing altogether.

Right now I consider target shooting an expensive hobby because my favorite ammo has doubled or even more than doubled in price during the past couple of years. And, because my .22 pistol doesn't work well with plain ol' .22 lr.

Last time I went shooting I think I spent about 80 bucks on ammo and targets and a minor range fee. I think that was 15 bucks on range fees (took the kiddo) and 60 bucks on ammo; the rest targets and taxes. That isn't something I can do (or will do) very frequently.

I started handgunning just a year ago, and have found it to be deceptively expensive. I started with the intention of taking up target shooting as a hobby, and quickly expanded it into self defense.

I bought only two moderately priced semi-autos (before the prices started rising), which wasn't so bad. But then you add a couple hundred rounds a week for practice (I figure I'm throwing a quarter downrange with each practice shot), CCW courses and CCW licenses for two states, NRA liability and self defense insurance, an annual range membership (cheaper than paying per visit if I go often), holsters, belts, etc., etc., it's added up to more than $8K in the first year. I consider that expensive.

I have been shooting a lot of .22's over here.

Might have to pick me up a .22 handgun when I get back
    to the US. I have been following ammo prices online.

At first when I saw the title of the thread... I though... YEAH RIGHT!

But now that I've thought about it... before I was head over heels about guns, I didn't think it was crazy to spend $1500 on a camera then another $1000 for a lens! Granted that provided some income...

What makes "guns as a hobby" worth it to me is the fact that it is "fun" but also is a very practical, potentially life saving "hobby."

So yes, I think it could be argued that guns are a relatively affordable hobby (unless your popping off $5 per squeeze shots with a Barret). What CANNOT be argued (with rational people), is that they are a wise investment.

Yes, guns are an expensive hobby. They're right there with photography, which happens to be another hobby of mine. Needless to say, my bank account and wallet are empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Texaspaul View Post
    At first when I saw the title of the thread... I though... YEAH RIGHT!

But now that I've thought about it... before I was head over heels about guns, I didn't think it was crazy to spend $1500 on a camera then another $1000 for a lens! Granted that provided some income...

What makes "guns as a hobby" worth it to me is the fact that it is "fun" but also is a very practical, potentially life saving "hobby."

So yes, I think it could be argued that guns are a relatively affordable hobby (unless your popping off $5 per squeeze shots with a Barret). What CANNOT be argued (with rational people), is that they are a wise investment.

AMEN!

A wise investment that can turn out to be the the best investment. If only everyone had the same mentality as the majority here my life would be complete. I appreciate those with fortitude and preparedness and wish more of you lived closer to Naples.
    "When Democracy Becomes Tyranny I STILL get to vote."

Quote Originally Posted by ErikGr7 View Post
    Do you think guns are a cheap hobby?

Yes, I know we have Ar-15's for grand, Kimbers
    are expensive etc..

but compared to my other hobbies sport bikes
    I think fiearms are a pretty cheap hobby..hey if it gets
    to expensive I can always skip a month at the range.
    NO, but allow me to put it this way; this is much more important than a self indulgent hobby to me. Never has a hobby allowed me to feel the sense of coming home as to arriving here and never have I learned soo much from such great people. This is more than a hobby to me, it is a family reunion, and I am ashamed to be joining so late but will make up for it when SHTF. I am a greenhorn compared to most here but please do not underestimate my abilities or heart. I wish many of you lived closer to Naples, you are always welcome in my house.

"When Democracy Becomes Tyranny I STILL get to vote."

The problem is you are never really satisfied, you are always looking for a new firearm for the collection, I think if it's all added up over the years, it's a very expensive ( but very enjoyable ) hobby

Cheap? No. Relatively inexpensive when compared to some of my other interests such as Harley Davidsons and classic cars, certainly. And much more usefull in a SHTF scenerio as well. I also get quite a bit of satisfaction and enjoyment out of the fact that both of my children (7 and 11) also enjoy this hobby along with the me and my wife.
    Libertas Vel Mors

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links