Guns a cheap hobby?

This is a discussion on Guns a cheap hobby? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Do you think guns are a cheap hobby? Yes, I know we have Ar-15's for grand, Kimbers are expensive etc.. but compared to my other ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Guns a cheap hobby?

Guns a cheap hobby?

Do you think guns are a cheap hobby?

Yes, I know we have Ar-15's for grand, Kimbers
    are expensive etc..

but compared to my other hobbies sport bikes
    I think fiearms are a pretty cheap hobby..hey if it gets
    to expensive I can always skip a month at the range.

2. Remove Ads

Guns are NOT a cheap hobby. I just thought buying my G26 was a simple deal. I was so wrong.

Once you customize any gun it's not the same gun you bought. Between the night sights, magazine extensions, spare magazines, grips, etc. guns are NOT a cheap hobby.

This is one of my more expensive hobbies. I budget every paycheck for something to do with guns. It's one of my luxuries in life. Plus, it's fun too! lol
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Umm... well... I guess shooting and maintaining them isn't all that expensive. But when you are trying to get the gun you want... then it gets a bit costly. I currently am after a scope for my Remington 700 that i just spent about $500 on... the scope I'm after costs about $760. The AR upper I want/need to complete the first AR I'm building is about $750. The new stock and grip I want for the AR cost about $180... so I am going to have to say guns, like any hobby, can add up quick.

My other hobby that costs me money is my cars... and in all honesty... the cars are a cheaper hobby than my guns...
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

In the past I was very active in Amateur (Ham) Radio. The various components in the hobby are equally expensive. One of my radios cost a little over $600. This was even before I located an antenna that would work with this radio. I tend to pick expensive hobbies.

One year I spent more on ham radio gear than I did on expenses on my car at the time. I don't know why I do this to myself!
    Glock 26

Interesting Pikachu. I have been considering getting into Amateur Radio. But can't find the time or money as of late. After I am finished building my AR and I have the scope for my 700 I can split my gun/ammo budget in half and put it toward that. Or more car parts... it is all such a hard decision.

Sorry for being off topic ErikGr7.
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I think it is a cheap hobby. There are plenty of "must-haves" that can be had for $500 or less.

And they last for a lifetime, not just a "technology cycle".

Well, Omega2669, ham radio is a great hobby to become involved in from a emergency situation. At the height of my interest I was a member of 4 ham radio clubs and was somewhat active in some of them. It actually cost very little to get started. I encourage anyone interested in emergency communications to get involved in this hobby. I've been licensed for a little over 14 years. It's a fun hobby to get involved in too. If you have any questions about the hobby feel free to PM me and I'll give you my personal email if you are interested in getting licensed as an amateur radio operator.
    Glock 26

Like many hobbies (guns are much more than a hobby), the cost is not in the initial investment. Ammo, practice, and training are pretty costly.
    I say it's not a hobby because very few of my friends have a putter or a bowling ball on the night stand in their bedrooms.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I say it's not a hobby because very few of my friends have a putter or a bowling ball on the night stand in their bedrooms.
    Huh, interesting argument. However... I wouldn't want to be the guy that gets a bowling ball thrown at him while breaking into someones house.

I would agree that guns are more than just a hobby. However, just because it is more, doesn't mean it isn't still a hobby... does it?

all in all, no matter how you dice it - guns add up.
    Just when you think you have what you need or want, then you start looking around/browsing and bang, you see a new sweet piece, or new sights, grips, lasers, mags, holsters, gun safes, gun case, range membership, forgetta about it - the list goes on.
    I thought i was gonna be fine a couple of years ago with my smith and wesson .44 magnum and guess not.
    Once you get into it, its like you get hooked or can be if you are really into guns.
    I do not think that there is one piece that can do it all, there is a different gun for different applications which we all need to have.
    Last edited by rcyxf460; May 7th, 2009 at 07:33 AM. Reason: add stuff
    S&W .460xvr magnum
    S&W .44 magnum 29-3
    Taurus 650 CIA .357 magnum

VIP Member
    Like many hobbies (guns are much more than a hobby), the cost is not in the initial investment. Ammo, practice, and training are pretty costly.
    Ha! I had to laugh! I DO have a friend who keeps a golf club by his bed in case of intruders. LOL
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    Guns seem fairly expensive to me. But I have a small budget.....takes me quite a while to save enough to get the next one. Especially with the price of ammo lately. What good are guns if you don't shoot them enough to be proficient with them?
    Last edited by sigmanluke; May 7th, 2009 at 10:16 AM. Reason: sp
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Guns are relatively cheap..........shooting can be pretty darned expensive though!

Then again, it's all relative. You want expensive? Try fly fishing, or better yet, owning a sailboat!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Expensive is a relative term, compared to other things I enjoy guns are higher than something things, yet cheaper than others.
    But when it comes down to the main reason we keep them, they are worth every penny we put into them from the gun itself, the ammo, the training. Me and my family are priceless
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Someone beat me to it, never thought of owning a weapon as a hobby personally. It's a responsibility in my view. Gardening is a hobby, darts is a hobby, collecting baseball cards or coins is hobby, owning something that take a life is not a hobby.

My personal view here only.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links