Mag stuck in new Ruger P95

This is a discussion on Mag stuck in new Ruger P95 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, I've got a magazine that I can't get out of my P95. I bought it new and it's only been to the range once ...

Thread: Mag stuck in new Ruger P95

Mag stuck in new Ruger P95

Ok, I've got a magazine that I can't get out of my P95. I bought it new and it's only been to the range once and worked fine. But last night I put a magazine in and now the darn thing won't release. And the slide won't lock unless I tap the bottom of the mag.

Any suggestions?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Was it an aftermarket or factory mag? Is the mag loaded or empty?
    "Just blame Sixto"

It's a factory mag and it's empty, now.

Administrator
    Hmm. So, you can cycle the gun just fine, but the mag is stuck. It sounds as if the mag catch broke jamming the mag in the well.

Can the mag drop far enough to field strip the gun? Ehh, nevermind, Ruger design wont allow you to do that... I'd lock the slide back, and gently tap on the top of the mag with a dowel rod. Strike towards the rear of tthe mag, that is where it is strongest. Dont force anything, you shouldnt need much force at all to free it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Hmm. So, you can cycle the gun just fine, but the mag is stuck. It sounds as if the mag catch broke jamming the mag in the well.

Can the mag drop far enough to field strip the gun? Ehh, nevermind, Ruger design wont allow you to do that... I'd lock the slide back, and gently tap on the top of the mag with a dowel rod. Strike towards the rear of tthe mag, that is where it is strongest. Dont force anything, you shouldnt need much force at all to free it.
    I'll have to try that when I get home. The slide cycles but not normally. I have to first tap the bottom of the mag and then it'll lock when I cycle it.

What does the mag release button feel like? Is it stuck out hard or you can feel spring pressure and still depress it? or is it flopping around? Do you hear any little broken pieces rattling around inside?

How about some pictures too - that might help. If the mag catch is broken, whack away - if you aren't sure I wouldn't hit it with any hammers yet. You may be able to tilt the follower in the magazine enough that you can see what is going on inside the magazine - maybe reach down inside with a dental pick and push the mag release from the inside.

Austin

I took it down a couple more times and didn't see anything out of the ordinary and kept having the same problem. After dinner, took it down again and now it's working fine. Bizarre to say the least. Thanks for your responses.

Links