CAS (Cowboy Action Shooting) guns?

This is a discussion on CAS (Cowboy Action Shooting) guns? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Any cowboy action shooters here? Went to my first match this weekend and they guys there talked me into shooting a couple of stages with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CAS (Cowboy Action Shooting) guns?

Any cowboy action shooters here?

Went to my first match this weekend and they guys there talked me into shooting a couple of stages with borrowed guns. What a gas.

Now just gotta figure out how to gear up myself without selling a kidney, any suggestions on what to start with, places to get it at a good price?

Thanks
    Dave
    NRA Life Member.
    H&K USP Compact .40
    Among others.

VIP Member
    Taurus and Ruger both make Colt SAA replicas at a reasonable price. Uberti has a full line of both pistols and rifles for CAS.

Administrator
    There are a few guys here who are into it, I asked about it a year or so ago. It does look like a hoot. I've gone to a few shoots to help a friend sell guns and worked as a on site 'smith. If I didnt already have a dozen half funded hobbies, I'd pick this up too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sass and his wife are cowboy shooters. I am sure he will check in soon.

I'll look forward to his input.
    NRA Life Member.
    H&K USP Compact .40
    Among others.

Yeah I did SASS for about a year and it can get pretty spendy two pistols, a lever action, and a shotty and then the clothes and accessories. (after all you have to look the part) Then dragging that stagecoach around was a real pain!

Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDave View Post
    Any cowboy action shooters here?

Went to my first match this weekend and they guys there talked me into shooting a couple of stages with borrowed guns. What a gas.

Now just gotta figure out how to gear up myself without selling a kidney, any suggestions on what to start with, places to get it at a good price?

Thanks
    Dave
    I love CAS!

For me it's the most fun I can have with my clothes on. Getting started can be a daunting expirience, as it can be very costly. I would concentrate on getting the guns little by little, starting with the Revolvers. For the money I don't think you can beat the .357 Magnum Ruger New Vaqueros. Also, spend the money on good quality leather. Mine is custom made from a local holster maker and it didn't cost more than a mass produced big name factory set-up.

After the leather and handguns I'd get a shotgun belt for my shotgun shells. Again, I like a leather belt loaded 2-empty-2-empty-2, I think you get the idea. People will be willing to loan their longarms more so than their handguns. The next item would be a shotgun, IMO. I myself use a Double Barrel Bakail. I found it Used at a local "gun pusher" and it's been great for the limited shooting I do.

I shoot a lot, but not CAS. The reason I don't shoot a lot of CAS is because the matches are when I'm working. My wife, not an avid shooter, talks more about the guns than I do. She likes to say that CAS is where men talk about their clothes and women talk about their guns.

Last on your list is the rifle. I use 38 Special rounds in my Rugers, as they are cheaper than .357 Magnum, hence my rifle is chambered for 38 Special. I realize I give up some versatility doing this, but I am acceptable to that, as 38 Special is common in CAS. Unless you are shooting a certain class that requires a larger or traditional caliber I would go with the 38/357's. I wouldn't recommend a "traditional" caliber until you have a lot of trigger and match time under your belt, and by then you will know what you want.

The rifle is last on my list, but for me, the primary and most important part of the whole set up. I'm partial to the 1866 action and use a Uberti. You do not want something you have to alter or modify and want 100% reliability as clearing malfunction at a match is a pain and ruins the fun of shooting. That is also why I like a Double Barrelled shotgun. That and the fact that it's just plain "cool" in my book.

You don't have to go whole hog on the clothing to start with. Heck, one guy is so poor he wears red long-johns as his costume, with a cowboy hat and boots. You can probably get away with jeans and a button down shirt to start with. I have an old button down ticking shirt that was made on an 1890's pattern that I wear. You most likely already have the jeans, boots and hat, so already have your costume to start with.

For me matches are an escape away from reality. It's too bad I only get to do one or two a year. What I like about CAS is that accuracy is very important. Don't try to go fast, just hit all your targets. You will be amazed at how well you do if you concentrate on hitting your targets. It's not geared to the "Run and Gun" crowd, which I like, as I'm getting older and miss my Saturday mornings watching the Lone Ranger.

Have fun and welcome to CAS. The fun is only just beginning.

Biker

I think I may have a shotgun that will work, it's an old Stevens side by side exposed hammer that was passed down from at least my grandfather, maybe back farther. Really cool 12 ga. I need to take it to a gunsmith to be checked out and make sure it's safe. Only minor issue with it is that it has really long barrels and might not be as easy to swing as the shorter ones.

Rifle the choice seems to be Marlin, Uberti, or Henry. I shot a marlin and uberti saturday, and did better with the marlin, don't know if it's my short arms or that it had a bright front site or what..

While I"m not opposed to the 357/38, if I wind up buying new I'm leaning towards the Ruger new vaquero SS 45 lc. Those things are just pretty. Though I would make my own wood grips, the hard black plastic just don't do it for me. And maybe grip making for the CSA crowd could be a nice little sideline to finance the ammo.

When I was younger you'd never catch me in anything other than cowboy boots and a Stetson. Boots don't fit me anymore, so may have to get those, but at least I have the hat covered several times over.
    NRA Life Member.
    H&K USP Compact .40
    Among others.

Ya might want to consider shooting the holy black powder in them guns. Thats the real thing and its great fun to boot.

Michael

I had the 357 Magnum Ruger Vaqueros which I shot 38 special out of for cost, also a Winchester model 94 also in 357 MAG only holds nine rounds with 357, but in 38 special you can get ten in and that's what you have to have, the rifle must hold TEN rounds or you will be reloading in a timed event. I also have a Norinco coach gun 12 gauge with exposed hammers, the cost was low and for as much as you use it, it worked for me. Also a shot gun ammo slide that holds at least six rounds
    Μολὼν λαβέ

DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

PatrioticRick that's some fine looking horse you got there.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    PatrioticRick that's some fine looking horse you got there.
    Yeah I wanted one with a little more neck
    Μολὼν λαβέ

DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Exclamation My Cowboy side...

COLT PEACEMAKER

RUGER BISLEY VAQUERO

WINCHESTER MODEL 1894

SHOOTER13
    ================
    DoD: Peace thru Superior Firepower

starting to think it might be wise to start out looking at used guns for CAS. After all, I don't want to have to sell a kidney, my first born, or my other guns to finance this new endeavor.

As I said, I have an old Stevens 12 ga side by side exposed hammer that will go to the gunsmith this week to be checked over, if that will work, I'm left needing a lever gun and pistols.

While I am leaning towards 45 LC, I'm not dead set on it.

Anything in particular I should look for, or stay away from?

Any CAS sites with swap and sell forums worth looking at? I have checked out the SASS site, but didn't see much there.... and would prefer to look something over and work the action before dropping a sizable chunk of change that I really don't have right now.

Thanks for all the replies so far, keep them coming, and love seeing pics of your gear and whatnot. Post pics of your carts too. I'll likely build one myself, and am looking for ideas.

Dave
    NRA Life Member.
    H&K USP Compact .40
    Among others.

I'm in trouble now...

Went and fondled a Vaquero at lunch and it was calling out to me, but I was strong ... this time.

Gun shop guy told me, in his opinion, the 45 LC was the hardest ammo to find these days. Maybe when I get my pennies lined up I'll have to buy ammo before guns. It would truelly suck to have new guns and no ammo to shoot them.
    NRA Life Member.
    H&K USP Compact .40
    Among others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links