New (to me) pistol: Mann 6.35

This is a discussion on New (to me) pistol: Mann 6.35 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I received a family heirloom pistol recently. It is a Mann 6.35 (25ACP). It was produced during the 1920s. My grandfather traded it for something ...

Thread: New (to me) pistol: Mann 6.35

I received a family heirloom pistol recently. It is a Mann 6.35 (25ACP). It was produced during the 1920s. My grandfather traded it for something while he was stationed in the Philippines. My mom had it for 23 years since my grandpa passed and I finally acquired it (Thank you C&R!)

My grandfather drew and fired the gun at someone once. They were in a motel on their (him and my grandma) way to California. Someone tried pushing in the door. They got the door open and this guy had his foot in the door and the guy kept pushing on the door, so my grandfather told the guy if he didn't leave he'd shoot them. The guy continued so he fired, but missed.

He also pulled it at on someone who came over with a mask on Halloween because my grandmother screamed really loud for my grandpa; so he ran outside and put the gun to the guys head. It turned out to be a neighbor. The guy was scared silly.

It looks like it is in amazing condition. No rush, finish is in very good condition. I haven't taken it apart to look at the barrel.

I'm a happy doobie
    Last edited by HotGuns; May 10th, 2009 at 08:32 PM. Reason: language
    Criminals For Gun Control
    Brady's Campaign Pro-Gun Forum

Member: NRA, PG-NH, GO-NH
    Life Member: JPFO, GOA
    Clubs: LF&GC

He also pulled it at on someone who came over with a mask on Halloween because my grandmother screamed really loud for my grandpa; so he ran outside and put the gun to the guys head. It turned out to be a neighbor. The guy was scared silly.
    Your grandfather was a lucky man. ...lucky that this guy was not a perp. In today's society, the neighbor would have claimed mental distress and would have won his case in court.

One of the first lessons that my concealed carry instructor taught me was:

1) Never show your firearm until you are in fear for your life and ready to shoot. If he was in fear for his life, he should have shot from a safe distance or he should have removed himself and his family from the perceived danger. Getting close to the perp will do nothing but get you killed.

2) Once the firearm is visible, fire unless the danger no longer exists. That is a mistake he made in the first shooting. Never tell them they will be shot. They will figure that out when they hear the blast and feel the projectile. If I pull my firearm, say halt, and then fire, I did not handle myself well. It should be: Pull my firearm, bang, bang, then say halt!
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tbmccord View Post
    Your grandfather was a lucky man. ...lucky that this guy was not a perp. In today's society, the neighbor would have claimed mental distress and would have won his case in court.

One of the first lessons that my concealed carry instructor taught me was:

1) Never show your firearm until you are in fear for your life and ready to shoot. If he was in fear for his life, he should have shot from a safe distance or he should have removed himself and his family from the perceived danger. Getting close to the perp will do nothing but get you killed.

2) Once the firearm is visible, fire unless the danger no longer exists. That is a mistake he made in the first shooting. Never tell them they will be shot. They will figure that out when they hear the blast and feel the projectile. If I pull my firearm, say halt, and then fire, I did not handle myself well. It should be: Pull my firearm, bang, bang, then say halt!
    It was ~30-40 years ago. Different world. With the screaming my grandma was doing, he thought she was in danger of her life. The neighbor is lucky to be alive.

But very valid points.
    Criminals For Gun Control
    Brady's Campaign Pro-Gun Forum

Member: NRA, PG-NH, GO-NH
    Life Member: JPFO, GOA
    Clubs: LF&GC

Fun acquisition! Wish you could show us a photograph of the little pistol. Some folks used to collect nothing but the many different .25s that used to be available. I can't think what the Mann looks like.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Lead Moderator
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

That has an unconventional appearance.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Links