9mm At Distance

9mm At Distance

This is a discussion on 9mm At Distance within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Another forum I frequent is hosting an online match where one submits photographs of targets shot from 50 yards and 100 yards. Tightest overall groups ...

Thread: 9mm At Distance

9mm At Distance

Another forum I frequent is hosting an online match where one submits photographs of targets shot from 50 yards and 100 yards. Tightest overall groups wins the prize.

I have three 9mm handguns: a Luger, a P-38, and a Hi-Power. I've always felt the Luger actually grouped best on paper even though it has the typically mushy trigger of the breed.

Shot up over a hundred rounds trying to get the best showing for my efforts. These two targets won't win against some of the other ace shooters but are indicative of the possibilities of the gun and the round.

The 9mm shoots quite flat over the distances involved. The 115 grain FMJ round nose load used only travels about 1090 fps but that was enough to make it easy to hit the target at 100 yards without a lot of hold-over. I used a six o'clock hold on the bull at 50 yards. Since I was wearing reading glasses in order to see the front sight sharply I pretended that I was seeing a center hold on the 100 yard bull. The old Luger stayed dead on horizontally.

In years gone by I've shot hunter pistol silhouette with the .44 Magnum and .357 Magnum but have scarcely ever put a handgun on a rest to shoot paper at such distances.

After returning from shooting I reread the match rules to find that I only needed to shoot five rounds at each distance. Oh well, I'd have still probably had fliers and it was fun anyway.

Baron von Richthofen's "personal Luger" ready to go at 50 yards.

Best 50 yard attempt. Would have been ok except for the two fliers.

Best 100 yard attempt. The only target shot at 100 yards that had all ten rounds on it.

The 50 yard group was 11.3 inches. Would have been 6 inches but ...
    The 100 yard group wasn't really much worse at 11.8 inches.

No way to tie this one to the Red Baron except to stick a label off a pizza box on it. It is a VoPo variation.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I've done some online shooting matches. Wouldn't be NGF would it? Yes, competition can be fun that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I've done some online shooting matches. Wouldn't be NGF would it? Yes, competition can be fun that way.
    ???? NGF???
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

NGF=National Gun Forum.......my apologies. Didn't want to spell it out on another forum. No harm intended.

Hi Ramrod;

No, it's a small, private firearms forum. Just a bunch of buds.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Ok, I get it now Ram Rod.

That's some nice shooting. I used to regularly shoot my .38 snubby at the 50yrd range. Haven't ever shot at 100 though. That's impressive.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Another forum I frequent is hosting an online match where one submits photographs of targets shot from 50 yards and 100 yards. Tightest overall groups wins the prize.

I have three 9mm handguns: a Luger, a P-38, and a Hi-Power. I've always felt the Luger actually grouped best on paper even though it has the typically mushy trigger of the breed.

Shot up over a hundred rounds trying to get the best showing for my efforts. These two targets won't win against some of the other ace shooters but are indicative of the possibilities of the gun and the round.

The 9mm shoots quite flat over the distances involved. The 115 grain FMJ round nose load used only travels about 1090 fps but that was enough to make it easy to hit the target at 100 yards without a lot of hold-over. I used a six o'clock hold on the bull at 50 yards. Since I was wearing reading glasses in order to see the front sight sharply I pretended that I was seeing a center hold on the 100 yard bull. The old Luger stayed dead on horizontally.

In years gone by I've shot hunter pistol silhouette with the .44 Magnum and .357 Magnum but have scarcely ever put a handgun on a rest to shoot paper at such distances.

The 50 yard group was 11.3 inches. Would have been 6 inches but ...
    The 100 yard group wasn't really much worse at 11.8 inches.

No way to tie this one to the Red Baron except to stick a label off a pizza box on it. It is a VoPo variation.
    My wife gave me a Erfurt P-08 from 1916, # matching (25 years ago, they were reasonable).
    When I shot it, the rear lever on the toggle was hitting yhe back of the frame almost making an indentation. I thought the springs were weak, they are 93 years old !!!
    I'd love to shoot it more, it is an amazing piece of machinery; got about 3 times as many parts as my Glock ...

Did you replace anything on yours; if yes where did you get the parts ?
    BTW, nice targets ! So much for those who think handgun is for short distance. We used to shoot IHMSA and when the match was over, we'd shoot the remaining rams 220 yards with our carry gun; of course the 9mm did not topple the 80 lbs steel rams, but you could hear the ping when you connected.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Hi jfl;

No, so far this Luger has held up. I shoot it in spurts. It may sit for a year or two then is carried out for several sessions, shooting perhaps a couple hundred rounds then put up for another spell. It may have had 1500 rounds put through it since I got it in 1986.

Nothing's ever broken but it isn't too dependable with Winchester White Box or generic hand loads. It doesn't seem too finicky about bullet shape but seems to like energetic hand loads for more reliable function. I've obtained reliable function with a heavy charge of Unique behind a 115 grain bullet but am loathe to subject it to a bunch of such hand loads.

Saturday it failed to feed five times during a total of 127 rounds fired.

I can only imagine that it would get really balky if crudded up or if it got trash in it.

The back of the frame of my pistol has some bright marks. I'm not sure but that it is just a characteristic of the Luger. They've been there since I first got the gun and haven't gotten worse. Someone with more Luger savvy would know for certain.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    It doesn't seem too finicky about bullet shape but seems to like energetic hand loads for more reliable function. I've obtained reliable function with a heavy charge of Unique behind a 115 grain bullet but am loathe to subject it to a bunch of such hand loads.
    The old German ammo the Luger was designed for was considerably hotter than the SAAMI 9mm specs. More like +P or even +P+.

Sponsored Links