Anyone Have Any Experience With Plastics Or Composites??

This is a discussion on Anyone Have Any Experience With Plastics Or Composites?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; the title says it all...I am making a stock for my shotgun seen here http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...r-project.html . just wondering if anyone has any ideas on a ...

Thread: Anyone Have Any Experience With Plastics Or Composites??

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar

Question Anyone Have Any Experience With Plastics Or Composites??

the title says it all...I am making a stock for my shotgun seen here http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...r-project.html. just wondering if anyone has any ideas on a type of plastic, composite, or any kind of material other then wood??
    thanks
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Weeelll...if you don't have the $$ to have someone mock up a mold and injection mold an automotive-formula poly for you, I would suggest Bedding Compound

As an alternative, you could make a mold in plaster of Paris, wax it, and use Bondo to make a body-shell, then overfill with the bedding compound (layers sandwiching the fiberglass shell).

Certainly, it is your project, but I see you getting $300-500 into it, and still not having something both functional and durable. You could apply for a patent, and see if a maker like Choate has interest...

Administrator
    Well...you could make your stock out of Micarta which is extremely dense, stable, waterproof - you would need to call some place like Norplex Micarta - NORPLEX Micarta Laminate PRODUCTS to get your material.

One other option would be CORIAN - which is the countertop material. Google Corian.

Probably your best bet would be dyed laminated hardwood.
    That is constructed of very thin layers of wood impregnated with Epoxy resin bonded/laminated together. It is impervious to weather and is completely waterproof and incredibly strong. It actually machines and "works" like synthetic material.
    Google search DYMONDWOOD
    You can see how the various layers show as you cut into it...but, it is also available in layered Black.

You would need to go right to the manufacturer to get your desired size blocks of Micarta or Dymondwood - Corian is readily available in countertop thicknesses.

Laminate Rifle Stock

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar
    thanks guys!
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

Since you're a ME find your school's composites teacher or join a club like solar car, HPV, or some other composites heavy organization. The clubs are the best way to learn.

I would do it one of two ways. Use your high density foam to carve out the shape you want. Then do a wet fiberglass layup around it. If you can gather the equipment to do a vacuum layup, it'll be even better.

The second way is to do a female mold. Normally, when you do a female mold from HDF, you use a CNC to carve it out, but if you don't have access to one, then you'll have to figure out how to do it with something else like plaster maybe. Then do a vacuum layup with fiberglass.

The male mold will be the easiest and vacuum equipment isn't that expensive, especially since you only need a hand pump for something this small.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    You can make rag or paper micarta at home, with some experimentation.

Links