Defensive Carry banner

What is the most reliable survival rimfire (pistol and rifle)?

12K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  bmcgilvray 
#1 ·
I have been thinking of getting a rimfire purely to be used as a survival rifle (could be pistol also but it would have less effective range)... what would you all recommend?

So far I own a Kimber 22LR Super Varmint, Ruger Single Six hunter and a old LR snuby.. the Kimber is to "pretty" to be used as a survival rifle, but t he ruger is all stainless steel and built like a TANK (and really accurate too), there is no question it could be used in survival situations BUT I would rather a rifle.

By far the most important feature to be is reliability, it should be able to function under harsh conditions... what do you all think of the AR6 that springfield sells? Looks real ungly but it's a tool and I don't care about looks, I want to know that it works!

#2 ·
The AR7 is a neat little gun, but it has soome issues IMO for a survival tool. First, its a semi auto. It requires a magazine and will not function well with all ammo. (thats not a AR7 issue, its a semi auto issue) It has more breakable and moving parts.
If it were me, I'd very much prefer a bolt action rifle like a Marlin offering. It can shoot any 22LR ammo you scrounge and is not prone to jamming with dirty or out of spec ammo. The down side is size, not much can beat the compact storage of the AR7.

Savage makes a nifty gun, 22LR and shotgun combo... but its heavy.

#3 ·
Do some research on a Remington Nylon 66. I think you might be surprised at the comments on this lil rifle. Very light, minimal to NO maintenance required. Very dependable. Eats any and all ammo like it's starving to death. As a survival rifle would be ideal. Do I have one....YES! Do I like it...YES! Do I have other .22 rifles...YES! But the other rifles are all heavier, require cleaning materials, and have wood stocks. Remington Nylon 66 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia or try this one as well http://www.americanrifleman.org/rifles_historical_Rem66.html

#7 ·
Actually, if you have checked the going prices on a vintage Remington NYLON 66 these days they are quite collectible and desirable and are not the "inexpensive" lightweight rifle that they used to be.
The stock is hollow Nylon. Carrying one is like walking around with a feather.

A fantastic little Survival .22 though if you are lucky enough to have one. :yup:

I do have one! :yup:

#8 ·
In an austere environment, my 1st choice would be a bolt action with a fixed internal mag and a double action revolver. (pump would be the next choice, o/u next, lever last) I would not choose a semi-auto for this purpose, period.

You may not be able to clean stuff much, and need something that will run dirty, but if you can clean it, you want something easy to clean. Secondly, you don't want a magazine or mag tube rod that can get lost, leaving you with a single shot.

Revolvers are easy to maintain as well, and again, you can't lose the mag if you aint got one.

JMO-YMMV.

BTW: My Dad keeps a Savage O/U (22/20ga) with him at all times behind the seat of his truck. It has a space in the stock for spare ammo, with a little trap door that opens. It would certainly do as well, but the disadvange is that it's only a two shooter.

#11 ·
In an austere environment, my 1st choice would be a bolt action with a fixed internal mag and a double action revolver. (pump would be the next choice, o/u next, lever last) I would not choose a semi-auto for this purpose, period.

You may not be able to clean stuff much, and need something that will run dirty, but if you can clean it, you want something easy to clean. Secondly, you don't want a magazine or mag tube rod that can get lost, leaving you with a single shot.

Revolvers are easy to maintain as well, and again, you can't lose the mag if you aint got one.

JMO-YMMV.

BTW: My Dad keeps a Savage O/U (22/20ga) with him at all times behind the seat of his truck. It has a space in the stock for spare ammo, with a little trap door that opens. It would certainly do as well, but the disadvantage is that it's only a two shooter.
That's why I was thinking I already have something that could be used in such a situation, the Ruger Single six in stainless steel... and it's accuracy can actually rival some rimfire rifles... but it would be harder to shoot because of no shoulder stock (but is so compact that it could be used as a 2nd gun to a survival rifle)

THe double shotgun/rimfire seems to be the most useful but concerned about the size of it overall... what about a TC contender or encore, how about that as a survival gun? (interchangeable barrels and it compact)

#13 ·
I would have to vote for the Nylon 66 also. I've had mine since they came out and have never had a lick of trouble with it. Still an accurate little rifle. Would also think the Marlin 39A is a very dependable rifle and can be broken down into a smaller package. Marlin also makes or used to make a rifle called the Papoose, that was designed for backpacking, etc., and the case was designed to keep the gun afloat if it went into the water.

#14 ·
Of all the .22 rifles I have owned, the Ruger 10/22 was without a doubt the best. (I need to replace that!) My favorite choice for a .22 pistol is a S&W Model 617 4". Shoots like a dream. :smile:

#16 ·
Of all the .22 rifles I have owned, the Ruger 10/22 was without a doubt the best.
Honestly, I would stay with Ruger (10/22 and MkII). I like the Ruger SAs, but if one "goes down", its very hard for someone not experienced with them to fix. They are known for weak base pin latch springs- meaning the base pin can begin to work itself out. If the pin is not engaged at the rear of the frame, a modest blow to the side of the cylinder can permanently bend the pin. I actually fixed two of these last week.

#17 ·
A bolt action repeater, pump action of John Browning design, or the Marlin Model 39 would be my choice for a reliable .22 rifle.

I've only been around others' Ruger 10/22s and have not been impressed. Most problems do seem to stem from magazines though.

I have no way to know but figure that my Smith & Wesson Model 17 K-22 is my only handgun to have fired over 100,000 rounds over a 29 year time period. It has had no mechanical failures.

The Rossi that Simon mentions above is an adaptation of the John Browning designed Winchester Model 1890 pump and like most of his designs is built with strength for the long haul. I have a Model '90 in .22 Long Rifle and it has given dependable function for many years. It feeds all types of ammunition including truncated cone and hollow point varieties. it is of take-down design and can be fit in a small space if necessary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.