What is the most reliable survival rimfire (pistol and rifle)?

This is a discussion on What is the most reliable survival rimfire (pistol and rifle)? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been thinking of getting a rimfire purely to be used as a survival rifle (could be pistol also but it would have less ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the most reliable survival rimfire (pistol and rifle)?

What is the most reliable survival rimfire (pistol and rifle)?

I have been thinking of getting a rimfire purely to be used as a survival rifle (could be pistol also but it would have less effective range)... what would you all recommend?

So far I own a Kimber 22LR Super Varmint, Ruger Single Six hunter and a old LR snuby.. the Kimber is to "pretty" to be used as a survival rifle, but t he ruger is all stainless steel and built like a TANK (and really accurate too), there is no question it could be used in survival situations BUT I would rather a rifle.

By far the most important feature to be is reliability, it should be able to function under harsh conditions... what do you all think of the AR6 that springfield sells? Looks real ungly but it's a tool and I don't care about looks, I want to know that it works!
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    The AR7 is a neat little gun, but it has soome issues IMO for a survival tool. First, its a semi auto. It requires a magazine and will not function well with all ammo. (thats not a AR7 issue, its a semi auto issue) It has more breakable and moving parts.
    If it were me, I'd very much prefer a bolt action rifle like a Marlin offering. It can shoot any 22LR ammo you scrounge and is not prone to jamming with dirty or out of spec ammo. The down side is size, not much can beat the compact storage of the AR7.

Savage makes a nifty gun, 22LR and shotgun combo... but its heavy.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Do some research on a Remington Nylon 66. I think you might be surprised at the comments on this lil rifle. Very light, minimal to NO maintenance required. Very dependable. Eats any and all ammo like it's starving to death. As a survival rifle would be ideal. Do I have one....YES! Do I like it...YES! Do I have other .22 rifles...YES! But the other rifles are all heavier, require cleaning materials, and have wood stocks. Remington Nylon 66 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia or try this one as well http://www.americanrifleman.org/rifl...cal_Rem66.html
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

The gun I chose as the survival rifle is both. A Shotgun and a Rifle. One of the Stevens or Savage over under combo's makes a great dependable survival rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    The gun I chose as the survival rifle is both. A Shotgun and a Rifle. One of the Stevens or Savage over under combo's makes a great dependable survival rifle.
    I owned one of these and they are great little guns. It's nice to have the option of a rifle or a shot gun on the same frame.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Here is what I did with mine.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...fle-setup.html

Savage 62 (or 64 can't remember right now)
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Administrator
    Actually, if you have checked the going prices on a vintage Remington NYLON 66 these days they are quite collectible and desirable and are not the "inexpensive" lightweight rifle that they used to be.
    The stock is hollow Nylon. Carrying one is like walking around with a feather.

A fantastic little Survival .22 though if you are lucky enough to have one.

I do have one!

In an austere environment, my 1st choice would be a bolt action with a fixed internal mag and a double action revolver. (pump would be the next choice, o/u next, lever last) I would not choose a semi-auto for this purpose, period.

You may not be able to clean stuff much, and need something that will run dirty, but if you can clean it, you want something easy to clean. Secondly, you don't want a magazine or mag tube rod that can get lost, leaving you with a single shot.

Revolvers are easy to maintain as well, and again, you can't lose the mag if you aint got one.

JMO-YMMV.

BTW: My Dad keeps a Savage O/U (22/20ga) with him at all times behind the seat of his truck. It has a space in the stock for spare ammo, with a little trap door that opens. It would certainly do as well, but the disadvange is that it's only a two shooter.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

VIP Member
    I would go for a Winchester 9422.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Seems like the Thompson/Center would give you many options. Being a breech loader, it would eliminate magazines, tubes and what-not and feed problems would be a non-starter issue.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    In an austere environment, my 1st choice would be a bolt action with a fixed internal mag and a double action revolver. (pump would be the next choice, o/u next, lever last) I would not choose a semi-auto for this purpose, period.

You may not be able to clean stuff much, and need something that will run dirty, but if you can clean it, you want something easy to clean. Secondly, you don't want a magazine or mag tube rod that can get lost, leaving you with a single shot.

Revolvers are easy to maintain as well, and again, you can't lose the mag if you aint got one.

JMO-YMMV.

BTW: My Dad keeps a Savage O/U (22/20ga) with him at all times behind the seat of his truck. It has a space in the stock for spare ammo, with a little trap door that opens. It would certainly do as well, but the disadvantage is that it's only a two shooter.
    That's why I was thinking I already have something that could be used in such a situation, the Ruger Single six in stainless steel... and it's accuracy can actually rival some rimfire rifles... but it would be harder to shoot because of no shoulder stock (but is so compact that it could be used as a 2nd gun to a survival rifle)

THe double shotgun/rimfire seems to be the most useful but concerned about the size of it overall... what about a TC contender or encore, how about that as a survival gun? (interchangeable barrels and it compact)
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    Seems like the Thompson/Center would give you many options. Being a breech loader, it would eliminate magazines, tubes and what-not and feed problems would be a non-starter issue.
    I came to that conclusion myself... I saw one and it was very accurate and versatile... I may just look for one in the weeks to come.

I would have to vote for the Nylon 66 also. I've had mine since they came out and have never had a lick of trouble with it. Still an accurate little rifle. Would also think the Marlin 39A is a very dependable rifle and can be broken down into a smaller package. Marlin also makes or used to make a rifle called the Papoose, that was designed for backpacking, etc., and the case was designed to keep the gun afloat if it went into the water.

VIP Member
    Of all the .22 rifles I have owned, the Ruger 10/22 was without a doubt the best. (I need to replace that!) My favorite choice for a .22 pistol is a S&W Model 617 4". Shoots like a dream.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I have a Rossi pump action...standard model.Really a tuff little rifle...breaks apart for easy cleaning,good shooter!Been with me for over 30 years,my firewood-cutting gun if you will...my choice,my .02

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links