I think Alaska is finally feeling the effects of the buying frenzy

This is a discussion on I think Alaska is finally feeling the effects of the buying frenzy within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After the election I was pleasantly surprised to find most local gun shops still had ARs, AKs, and plenty of ammo. I started stocking up ...

Thread: I think Alaska is finally feeling the effects of the buying frenzy

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

After the election I was pleasantly surprised to find most local gun shops still had ARs, AKs, and plenty of ammo. I started stocking up my ammo supply, and continued to buy more ammo that I figured I could buy anytime. Then I stopped until today, and went down to my gun dealer to look for a more compact DA/SA handgun to carry. I was deeply disappointed when the handgun cases were nearly empty except for some H&Ks, XDMs, and like four Glocks. All the CZs and SIGs in 9mm were nowhere to be found. I then asked for some 9mm FMJ ammo, and of course no availability on that either. I almost bought some .45 ACP for my XD45, but at 25 bucks a box I passed.

I didn't want it to be a wasted trip, so I picked up some Hogue grips for my Beretta 92 and a small thing of Sabre pepper spray since I've been meaning to buy some. The weather was nice today, so it wasn't all bad!

Oh yeah I now know what pepper spray feels like. I put a tiny bit on my finger and sniffed it. Almost immediately I had tears in my eyes, and I was coughing like crazy, not the smartest thing to do, but I wanted to know what it felt like.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

We lived in AK for seven years...hard to believe that many Alaskans are not already armed to the teeth and stocked with ammo.
    Shipping is going to add costs for Alaskan delivery...what are those living in the Bush doing? (loading their own?)

At $25/box, it's still cheaper than not having any to buy...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I have no idea what the folks in the bush are doing. Shipping costs are higher for us, but at least there is no sales tax on top of the already higher prices. Reloading components are getting hard to come by here as well. I overheard one of the employees telling another customer they only had components for shotgun shells, everything else was gone. I believe we are armed to the teeth, it just sucks I can't get anything now LOL!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Hope you didn't have to 'make water' with that stuff on your hands...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Ammo is non-existent in Fairbanks. Same with primers, I'm told. It's really annoying and has been this way for months.

I went to Alaska Tactical yesterday and they ACTUALLY had like 12-16 boxes of 9mm ammo. Northern Security is slowly starting to get some in. Of regular ammo at least I have found that self defense ammo in the 9mm is harder right now. Mt View sports had an alright selection of ammo last time i was in there. Anyway my .02.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyAlaskanZJ View Post
    Mt View sports had an alright selection of ammo last time i was in there.
    Mt View Sports is still in business, eh? I tried to singlehandedly keep them in business during the 70s (or so my wife thought.) When she went grocery shopping at Safeway, I went gun shopping at Mt View Sports.

Those were the days, no shortages back then.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Hope you didn't have to 'make water' with that stuff on your hands...
    YYEEOOUUCH! That's just wrong.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Sponsored Links