night sights

This is a discussion on night sights within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Greetings, I was looking online for some nightsights for my XD .45. I found some but had a few questions reguarding them. First are they ...

Thread: night sights

night sights

Greetings, I was looking online for some nightsights for my XD .45. I found some but had a few questions reguarding them. First are they worth it? Second what color? I have seen green,yellow,orange avalable. Would a tack light be a better choice. This will be going on the gun I will be using for my CC. Any input would be greatly appericated as always. (sorry for my spelling it sucks)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I love my night sights, I have a Sig P220R with Siglite night sights.
    (they are green) I have never used any other color, but the green works well for me. I think a light has its uses, but aren't great for an EDC weapon. IMO Good night sights are easily visible during bright daylight, and unbeatable in low and no light situations.
    They are worth every penny you spend.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I have little experience in this matter, but a thread on this forum a while ago indicated that those members who had found themselves in a defensive shooting situation did not look at the sights at all, and instead focused on the threat(s). Just a bit of information you might find helpful.

tat, you might want to get on Oklahoma Shooters Association and check in with Michael Brown on the subject.

Personally, I'm no fan of 3 dot NS. I do like the XS 24/7 sights, either tritium front and rear or front only. It does make a difference, as not all circumstance are "equally dynamic".

VIP Member
    In my opinion NS are worth the money. A tactical light on a HD gun isn't a bad set up but it can make finding a holster for a EDC weapon difficult. All of my NS are green. I can see an advantage to having a different color on the front sight. The service life on the sights vary, from what I have read the green has the longest service life.

NS are a must have on any SD pistol IMO. They can be pricey, but are well worth it if you ever have to use your weapon in a low-light situation. Which as we all know is when most SD situations occur.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Night sights are worth it in my opinion. They have actually improved my sight picture over the stock sights on my Glocks. They also make your nighttime HD pistol easy to find if you don't sleep with it under your pillow like I do. Green sights on all of mine, and I like the Meprolights better.

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Night sights are worth it in my opinion. They have actually improved my sight picture over the stock sights on my Glocks. They also make your nighttime HD pistol easy to find if you don't sleep with it under your pillow like I do. Green sights on all of mine, and I like the Meprolights better.
    I agree, I wouldn't think of a EDC or HD pistol shotgun or rifle without.
    I like the OEM Glock N.S.
    Even i broad daylight they help for fast acquisition.
    Maybe most cases do not require sights, but most is not good enough for me and there is no down side I know of.
    Color, whatever you like.
    Try and you will be enlightened
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Like a few others have already mentioned, night sights are something that I highly recommend. You can locate your handgun in total darkness with great ease. In the event the BG has turned off your electricity you can always find your HD weapon.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Night sights are a necessity for a carry gun. I like the XS Big Dot.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Funny you should bring this up.
    After extensive research, I just ordered the XS-Big dots for my XD9 4" service. I think they will work best for me. My wife Has the Heinie Straight-eights on her XD9 sub-compact 3", and really likes them. But with my pushing 50 eyes I found I could not see the front dot at all in normal light. I can let you know how it works after I get them in a week or so.

TB
    "Guns donít injure or kill people, I have never seen a court case where a gun was sent to prison instead of the person who used it."
    Unknown

Night sights are a must for my SD firearms. Most shootings occur in low light. A tactical light, or laser, can give away your position and tactical advantage.

On my former police duty gun (S&W 4006) I have Trijicon sights. I have XS-24/7 combat sights on my carry gun (S&W 457) and on my AR-15.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

If you search some of my older post on Defensive Carry you will find my feelings on the matter. I'll make it easy for you and give you the Cliff Notes version:

Tac Light: No Thanks, I don't want to be a bullet sponge.
    Night Sight: YES!
    Laser Grips: Better than the Night Sights and if I couldn't have Night Sights and Laser Grips I'd take just the Laser Grips thank you.

Feel free to search here and across the net for some of my previous post on this matter. My EDC off duty is a High Power with Crimson Trace Laser Grips and Trijicon Night Sights with a Yellow Rear/Green Front set-up.

I find the yellow/green combo to be easier to work with that trying to line up three green dots. I'll be getting a Laser Grip for my BUG soon. It does not wear Night Sights BTW.

Biker

I have night sights on each of my .45's and 9mm's...I would not have an EDC without them.

I have both Meps and Tijicons...both are very good. NS are the best thing since six decade old eyes.
    I wouldn't wander through a dark house without them.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links