Norfolk, Va; I am invited to an anti-gun event!

This is a discussion on Norfolk, Va; I am invited to an anti-gun event! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Open carry to this event would be almost as bad as those who cheer and celebrate at a fallen service members funeral....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Norfolk, Va; I am invited to an anti-gun event!

Lead Moderator
    Open carry to this event would be almost as bad as those who cheer and celebrate at a fallen service members funeral.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

2. Remove Ads

Don't go or CC if you do attend. To OC would be to attempt to shove your rights and beliefs down the throats of folks who don't want to see or hear about it. Plus, it portrays us in a bad light if you do that.

FWIW, my uninformed opinion of the "play" would be that it will be poorly written, poorly produced, and have an attrocious monolog or dialog which will put most of the audience to sleep and which will make the press babble with pleasure regardless what they really feel about the "play."

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    As a parent who has lost a child through a tragic accident (not gun violence) I understand the grief and empty feeling the father went and continues to go through. Losing a child, regardless of age or cause is something you never get over, you just learn to cope.

IMO to open carry at this event has nothing to do with exercising your 2nd Amendment Rights, it is meant to antagonize someone. I'm not saying go unarmed, if you want to attend conceal and go, otherwise opt. out and turn down to invitation.
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Agreed, I think it would be in poor taste and put all gun owners in a bad light to antagonize this situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Open carry to this event would be almost as bad as those who cheer and celebrate at a fallen service members funeral.
    Ditto.

Take the high road on this one... You might be surprised

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I understand the loss of this parent. What is not realized is that no law would have prevented that robbery...several laws were already borken to commit it.
    Perhaps though, if someone armed could have answered the 'call to duty', his son would still be alive today.
    I doubt that this parent is ready to hear that.

AMEN to that,.. I'm sure it was a "No-gun" place he was working,. BG's don't rob places they no people are going to be carrying,. (no brainer there)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RevDoug View Post
    Add me to the list of those who recommend not OC'ing at this event. There are lots of good places to force the debate, but it's hard to see how doing so at this kind of event would potentially have an up-side.

RevDoug
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ncglock View Post
    Take the high road on this one... You might be surprised

Ditto here also!

Take the high ground and pick your battles.

BTW -- Their site list them as a non-profit performing arts organization and there is no indication that this is a public building. So, if it is private property, you would likely be spinning your wheels.

FWIIW -- Were this being staged at a political venue (e.g., at the State House) with the clear intent to lobby for/against legislation, I might....
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    The play is what it is. The opening day has been hijacked by the Va Center for Public Safety, an anti-gun organization, solely because someone was killed with a gun. If they can slant one way, I can slant the other. But I would probably be thrown out. Forgot I have to work that day anyway.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Anti gun-violence is code speak for anti gun.........always.

I'm anti-gun violence and a pro-gun rights advocate.
    Do whatever floats your boat, but don't dare to try and sink mine.

I've never seen a set of people as potentially violent as anti-gun people.

Avoid!

Quote Originally Posted by Rolling Oaks View Post
    I'm anti-gun violence and a pro-gun rights advocate.
    I guess I'm pro-gun violence against those that use violence against innocent people, but anti-anything violence for the rest.

I remember a scene from Archie Bunker, where his daughter asks if it bothered him that (some number) of people were killed with guns last year. Archie replies, "Would it make you feel any better, little girl, if they was pushed out of windows?"

It would be nice to remove all gun-violence from the world, but only if we aren't replacing it with other types of violence against innocent people. At least with a gun, the 80 year old grandmother can exert equal violence against her attacker. That's not true with a baseball bat.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    The play is what it is. The opening day has been hijacked by the Va Center for Public Safety, an anti-gun organization, solely because someone was killed with a gun. If they can slant one way, I can slant the other. But I would probably be thrown out. Forgot I have to work that day anyway.
    FWIIW -- The "Va Center for Public Safety" was previously named "Virginians Against Handgun Violence" -- clear code.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links