Norfolk, Va; I am invited to an anti-gun event!

This is a discussion on Norfolk, Va; I am invited to an anti-gun event! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Got this in an email. I'm thinking open carry. VACPS Logo VT Ribbon Please join us on May 29th at the 40th Street Stage in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norfolk, Va; I am invited to an anti-gun event!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Got this in an email. I'm thinking open carry.

VACPS Logo VT Ribbon
    Please join us on May 29th
    at the 40th Street Stage in Norfolk
    for the World Premiere of

Hearts Full of Tears
    A play by Bill Jenkins

This is a true story: On August 12, 1997, 16 year old William Jenkins was shot to death by a robber using an illegally obtained handgun. It was Will's second day at the his first 'real' job at a local fast food restaurant. It happened in Richmond, Virginia where Will's dad, Bill Jenkins, was a theatre professor and scenic designer. In the aftermath of this senseless and sudden tragedy, Bill Jenkins struggled to cope with his family's devastating loss. Looking for answers, he soon came to realize that little existed to help families deal with "what happens after the police leave'. Bill went on to write a comprehensive, much needed guide to dealing with the trauma of sudden loss. What to Do When the Police Leave is now in its third printing, and has become an important and celebrated book. From the Foreword, by Patricia Cornwell: "Important and crafted of compassion and love at great sacrifice. Mr. Jenkins' book is a magnificent gift. It is for all of us."

But Bill Jenkins is an artist - a theatre artist. In 2003, he began a playscript that would allow him to work through his ongoing grief and new-found insight, as he continues to work with grieving families around the country. The first draft of his play, Hearts Full of Tears, had a staged reading in the fall of 2003.

The script, which has never been fully produced, was brought to the attention of 40th Street Stage by friends of Bill's at The Virginia Center for Public Safety, a group which advocates an end to handgun violence. Looking to promote their message through an artistic medium, they contacted 40th Street Stage last year and suggested a partnership - if a suitable project could be found. A former co-worker knew of Bill's script and contacted him in Chicago, where he now resides and teaches at Dominican University.

Hearts Full of Tears is the story of a couple whose son, Davy, is murdered. Jo and George struggle to deal with their feelings of loss; with a future now so suddenly altered; with their friends inability to articulate their own sadness. "This play has moments of heartbreaking truth and honesty - moments and sentiments that are as profound and real as any thing I have ever worked on in the theatre" says director Frankie Little Hardin. "Bill has already made one trip down from Chicago to work with the cast and I to clarify and strengthen the script. His courage, in being willing to work on this piece and craft it into a beautiful piece of theatre, is just profoundly humbling for all of us." The cast includes Beth Pivirotto (The Greater Love), Nick Ventura (West Side Story), Bill Armstrong, Dave Olson, Carol Wright, Eileen P. Quinton, and Chris Manitius.

What:
    The World Premiere of
    Hearts Full of Tears
    A play by Bill Jenkins

Where:
    40th Street Stage,
    809 W. 40th Street
    Norfolk, VA

When:
    May 29 - June 20
    Fridays and Saturdays at 8 pm;
    Sundays at 2 pm

Tix: All tix are $10.00
    Call: 757-423-4084
    Web: www.40thstreetstage.com
    View Larger Map

About Bill Jenkins

William Jenkins was on his second day of work at a fast-food restaurant when the Richmond, Va., establishment was robbed at closing time. While cooperating fully with the robber, William, 16, was shot and died instantly. His father, Bill Jenkins, quickly found that there were virtually no readily available resources to answer his questions as a survivor of a traumatic loss.

Bill found some help scattered in bookstores, on the Internet, and in support groups and agencies. But there was no single, practical and useful resource written by victims for victims containing the advice and guidance that he and his family needed following their loss.

Using the information he had collected, he wrote What to do When the Police Leave: A Guide to the First Days of Traumatic Loss, which has quickly become an important resource for families dealing with the sudden or traumatic death of a loved one.

Bill gives workshops on various victims’ issues for the National Organization for Victim Assistance; the Compassionate Friends; Fight Crime: Invest in Kids; and Parents of Murdered Children. He serves on the Cook County Juvenile Probation Department’s Victim Advisory board and is also an instructor with the Virginia Institute of Forensic Science and Medicine training officials who work with victims of crime. His goal is to help reduce crime by providing hope and resources at the critical stages of life for those who so desperately need them.

In contrast, the death penalty "brings neither peace nor healing to the injured parties and the resulting upheaval and re-victimization at all levels of its implementation has far graver consequences than are ever brought to light," he says.

Bill believes that as a society we are at a point “where a decision must be made. Do we perpetuate a system of punishment that is of questionable social value and can never be perfected, or do we remove its traumatizing impact from our criminal justice system altogether? The answer will in large measure define who we are as a people.” He has joined MVFHR because its dual focus on victims and human rights is “uniquely suited to answering this question.”

A professional artist and educator at the college level for more than 15 years, Bill teaches and designs for the theatre program at Dominican University near Chicago.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    It to me doesnt seem a "anti-gun" event, more like a liberal highjacked work by a greaving parent.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

ditto, TerriLi.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." ~Thomas Jefferson~

"...Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." ~Nehemiah 4:14~

I understand the loss of this parent. What is not realized is that no law would have prevented that robbery...several laws were already borken to commit it.
    Perhaps though, if someone armed could have answered the 'call to duty', his son would still be alive today.
    I doubt that this parent is ready to hear that.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Will there be the traditional "blood dance"?

Even if it was an anti event what purpose would you serve by attending and carrying openly?

I understand and completely respect your Second Amendment Right to do so (and Virginia Code as well). I don't understand why you would want to go and possibly agitate a bunch of people that are anti-gun? Doesn't that just help fuel their feelings toward gun owners by agitating them?

I dunno, that just seems confrontational to me but to each his own.

Be Safe,

NosaM

I would work to inform rather than go and antiganize. I don't think that is the place to do it.

I read it as a anti gun violence... vice anti gun.
    Alex G.
    S&W M&P .45
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Senior Chief Petty Officer, RETIRED, USN
    Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Officer

VIP Member
    As a parent who has lost a child through a tragic accident (not gun violence) I understand the grief and empty feeling the father went and continues to go through. Losing a child, regardless of age or cause is something you never get over, you just learn to cope.

IMO to open carry at this event has nothing to do with exercising your 2nd Amendment Rights, it is meant to antagonize someone. I'm not saying go unarmed, if you want to attend conceal and go, otherwise opt. out and turn down to invitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Flippinstk View Post
    I read it as a anti gun violence... vice anti gun.
    Anti gun-violence is code speak for anti gun.........always.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    As a parent who has lost a child through a tragic accident (not gun violence) I understand the grief and empty feeling the father went and continues to go through. Losing a child, regardless of age or cause is something you never get over, you just learn to cope.

IMO to open carry at this event has nothing to do with exercising your 2nd Amendment Rights, it is meant to antagonize someone. I'm not saying go unarmed, if you want to attend conceal and go, otherwise opt. out and turn down to invitation.
    Agreed, I think it would be in poor taste and put all gun owners in a bad light to antagonize this situation.
    "Just blame Sixto"

It did not seem anti-gun to me either. It just seemed like a story of people coping after violence has happened.

It could well have been a stabbing murder they were talking about, as I did not hear any anti-gun talk there. It was more about dealing with the aftermath of violence of any kind.

There may be anti-gun ties, and people attending. Or maybe the play itself has some anti-gun message but that did not come out in the article so I'm not sure how it is showing itself to be anti-gun.

Maybe I missed something.

yeah go and be empathetic but conceal, or just turn it down.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Add me to the list of those who recommend not OC'ing at this event. There are lots of good places to force the debate, but it's hard to see how doing so at this kind of event would potentially have an up-side.

RevDoug

1943 - 2009
    No, do not open carry if you attend this play. Doing so would only show your callous disregard for a family's grief over the tragic loss of a child. Open carry in this situation will do nothing except spark a confrontation.

Frankly, I'm disappointed that you would consider this in the first place.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links