Defensive Carry banner

1st time shooting

1K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  morintp 
#1 ·
Well I picked up a nice XDSC 9mm. This is my first time actually shooting at targets. 1st time I shot maybe 25 rounds at just bottles from w/e distances. Today I got a paper target from Wal-Mart and should 31 rds. Friend shared the other 31 rounds. This is my paper target 8 were shot from around 3-5 yards; the other 23 rounds were shot about 7-10 yards.

The horrible shots on the edges are from when I closed my right eye and moved the pistol in front of my left eye to shoot, since for some reason I shoot with a rifle the opposite of a pistol. For a rifle I hold the gun butt against my left shoulder and close my right eyes, for a pistol I shoot right hand and close the left eye just the opposite. I am naturally right handed but also do a lot of things left handed as well kinda somewhat both. I just wanted to see which way I shot better. deff left eye closed works better.

I also noticed myself sometimes anticipating the recoil of the gun and dropping the gun before I even pull the trigger is there any way to prevent that.

Anyone with tips on shooting this pistol or grip techniques or anything to help please do so don’t feel bad to criticize me.

some were rapid fire the rounds towards the outside, the ones towards the middle I took my time and aimed.

Also for best results do you place the front sight right on the target or slightly below it??

See less See more
#2 ·
some were rapid fire the rounds towards the outside
Speed second accuracy first, learn proper grip, trigger control and aiming before going rapid fire.

Mabey reward yourself at the end of a shooting session with a full mag of rapid fire :).

Recoil flinch I found the easiest way to get rid of it is to concentrate on trigger pull, correct grip, stance and target, forgot about the impending recoil and train yourself to concentrate on those other things and if youre doing those other things correctly the recoil will be absorbed.

Check out Youtube and look up some Todd Jarret shooting tips, there are quite a few good vids on grip techinique, stance and trigger pull.

Good luck and enjoy your new sport.

#14 ·
You should aim where you want it to hit. I've heard recommendations of aiming low to account for recoil, but if you're shooting properly, you don't need to account for it.

My brother busted one of my store bought target stands (supposedly unbreakable) by following those "aim low" recommendations. :rofl:

#4 ·
to prevent the "muzzle drop" of you anticipating the recoil...concentrate on your trigger pull. another cheap and easy way to improve your trigger pull is to dry fire..its free! and you can do it while watching tv. What my buddies and i like to do is load duds into each other's magazines to see if we are flinching. you can try that as well

#6 ·
No, dry firing your XD will not hurt it.

I read this somewhere and it may be a drill you want to try with a friend.

Stand at the firing line with a friend behind you. Have the friend randomly either load one round in the mag or leave it empty, then hand it to you. Without looking to see if there is a round in the mag, insert it, rack the slide, and fire.

You should be assuming that there is a round in the gun. If there is, it will fire like you expect it to. If the gun is empty, when you pull the trigger any movement of the gun will be directly caused by you. If you're shooting correctly, the gun shouldn't move at all when you fire it empty. It's a good way to identify any oddities in your technique and thus work on curing them.

#10 ·
Not bad shooting for starters...now add in dim light and movement for more fun...:blink::blink:

A bad day ath the range is better than a good day at work.

#11 ·
I am also right handed left eye dominate. I shoot my rifle and compound left handed and my recurve and pistols right handed. I would suggest leaving both eyes open when shooting the pistol. The dominate eye will always pick up the sights. You will find that you will have a better sight picture shooting this way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.