1st time shooting

This is a discussion on 1st time shooting within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well I picked up a nice XDSC 9mm. This is my first time actually shooting at targets. 1st time I shot maybe 25 rounds at ...

Thread: 1st time shooting

1st time shooting

Well I picked up a nice XDSC 9mm. This is my first time actually shooting at targets. 1st time I shot maybe 25 rounds at just bottles from w/e distances. Today I got a paper target from Wal-Mart and should 31 rds. Friend shared the other 31 rounds. This is my paper target 8 were shot from around 3-5 yards; the other 23 rounds were shot about 7-10 yards.

The horrible shots on the edges are from when I closed my right eye and moved the pistol in front of my left eye to shoot, since for some reason I shoot with a rifle the opposite of a pistol. For a rifle I hold the gun butt against my left shoulder and close my right eyes, for a pistol I shoot right hand and close the left eye just the opposite. I am naturally right handed but also do a lot of things left handed as well kinda somewhat both. I just wanted to see which way I shot better. deff left eye closed works better.

I also noticed myself sometimes anticipating the recoil of the gun and dropping the gun before I even pull the trigger is there any way to prevent that.

Anyone with tips on shooting this pistol or grip techniques or anything to help please do so donít feel bad to criticize me.

some were rapid fire the rounds towards the outside, the ones towards the middle I took my time and aimed.

Also for best results do you place the front sight right on the target or slightly below it??

2. Remove Ads

some were rapid fire the rounds towards the outside
    Speed second accuracy first, learn proper grip, trigger control and aiming before going rapid fire.

Mabey reward yourself at the end of a shooting session with a full mag of rapid fire :).

Recoil flinch I found the easiest way to get rid of it is to concentrate on trigger pull, correct grip, stance and target, forgot about the impending recoil and train yourself to concentrate on those other things and if youre doing those other things correctly the recoil will be absorbed.

Check out Youtube and look up some Todd Jarret shooting tips, there are quite a few good vids on grip techinique, stance and trigger pull.

Good luck and enjoy your new sport.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, also should you put the front sight directly on tagert or below target??

to prevent the "muzzle drop" of you anticipating the recoil...concentrate on your trigger pull. another cheap and easy way to improve your trigger pull is to dry fire..its free! and you can do it while watching tv. What my buddies and i like to do is load duds into each other's magazines to see if we are flinching. you can try that as well

will dry firing a XDSC hurt it??

No, dry firing your XD will not hurt it.

I read this somewhere and it may be a drill you want to try with a friend.

Stand at the firing line with a friend behind you. Have the friend randomly either load one round in the mag or leave it empty, then hand it to you. Without looking to see if there is a round in the mag, insert it, rack the slide, and fire.

You should be assuming that there is a round in the gun. If there is, it will fire like you expect it to. If the gun is empty, when you pull the trigger any movement of the gun will be directly caused by you. If you're shooting correctly, the gun shouldn't move at all when you fire it empty. It's a good way to identify any oddities in your technique and thus work on curing them.

Tips and techniques, from Todd Jarrett (1996 IPSC champ): click.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

For your grip, think of pushing away from your body with your strong hand, and pulling back into your body with your weak hand.
    NRA Life Member.
    H&K USP Compact .40
    Among others.

You hit an area the size of a BG/BW chest from 10 yards. Sounds like alright shooting to me.

Not bad shooting for starters...now add in dim light and movement for more fun...

A bad day ath the range is better than a good day at work.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I am also right handed left eye dominate. I shoot my rifle and compound left handed and my recurve and pistols right handed. I would suggest leaving both eyes open when shooting the pistol. The dominate eye will always pick up the sights. You will find that you will have a better sight picture shooting this way.

Wow! Thanks for posting the Todd Jarrett link. Not sure about anyone else, but it helped me!
    Glock 27

"Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Not bad shooting for starters...now add in dim light and movement for more fun...

A bad day ath the range is better than a good day at work.
    It was pretty dark that day, not sunny at all it was around 6pm outside and weather was moving in and very cloudy

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbraves8 View Post
    Thanks, also should you put the front sight directly on tagert or below target??
    You should aim where you want it to hit. I've heard recommendations of aiming low to account for recoil, but if you're shooting properly, you don't need to account for it.

My brother busted one of my store bought target stands (supposedly unbreakable) by following those "aim low" recommendations.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Links