S&W 340 Problems?

S&W 340 Problems?

This is a discussion on S&W 340 Problems? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just found this where one blew up on a girl shooting .357s... Blew up my 340PD... - Northeastshooters.com And another one cracking... The Gun Zone ...

Thread: S&W 340 Problems?

S&W 340 Problems?

Just found this where one blew up on a girl shooting .357s...

Blew up my 340PD... - Northeastshooters.com

And another one cracking...

The Gun Zone -- S&W Model 340PD

I was very much considering one of these, and just stumbled across these links while researching. I also read somewhere that there were certain problems concerning cleaning and shooting lead with the titanium cylinder -- I had never heard of that.

Also quoted at the bottom of the above gunzone link:

"ALL SCANDIUM REVOLVERS FIRING MAGNUM AMMUNITION
    WARNING: DO NOT USE MAGNUM® LOADINGS WITH BULLET WEIGHTS OF LESS THAN 120 GR. THIS WILL REDUCE THE POSSIBILITY OF PREMATURE CYLINDER EROSION."

I'd never heard that either...

I'm almost having second thoughts now about this gun, but I suppose there are isolated stories/problems with every gun/brand out there.

And yes, I'm very aware of the terrible recoil with the 340s!
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

VIP Member
    Well that's good enough for me then

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    WARNING: DO NOT USE MAGNUM® LOADINGS WITH BULLET WEIGHTS OF LESS THAN 120 GR. THIS WILL REDUCE THE POSSIBILITY OF PREMATURE CYLINDER EROSION."
    My 340SC has "No less than 120GR Grain Bullet" stamped on the right side of the barrel. It is right under the .357 S&W Magnum stamp.

Glocks blow up and crack with bad ammo also, you better not buy one of those either than.

The newer M&P 340's have a different cylinder so the problem is not on the new guns.

BTW, Blown up =
    I'll chime in since I was standing next to the shooter when it happened.

Loaded three rounds of R-P 125gr SJHP (R357M1). The shooter fired one round (which sounded normal) then said, "The gun is jammed". I was able to open the cylinder and saw that the frame below the forcing cone was cracked, and the barrel shroud was loose. The barrel looked fine, it had just partially broken out of the frame. There was nothing in the barrel before the shot.

Sounds like your need to buy a 642 and not worry about it. It weighs a couple of ounces more and shoots only .38spl but you don't have the recoil or the ammo restrictions. You can run any .38spl ammo through it that you want. Plus they're a couple of hundred dollars less expensive. That'll buy a lot of ammo if you can find it.

Thanks for the responses, in all honesty, I know nothing about S&W, nor the rate or how common it is for a quality firearm to crack/explode. My apologies if I am showing my ignorance.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    No problem with mine. I use 125 gr Speer Golddots .357

I think the flexibility of ammo and the lighter weight makes the 340 a great gun. Downside is the lock but I have 100% confidence that when I pull the trigger the gun will go bang.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach and Holly View Post
    Thanks for the responses, in all honesty, I know nothing about S&W, nor the rate or how common it is for a quality firearm to crack/explode. My apologies if I am showing my ignorance.
    No need to apologize, I just post stuff like I talk in person, short and not sugar coated. There is no perfect gun, many on this board (not me though) think Glock is the salvation, yet there are numerous pictures of them that look much worse than the pics you provided of the 340.

The M&P 340 is supposed to be better because of the cylinder change, so that will eliminate the restriction on ammo. I bought mine a couple years ago and can change the cylinder (at my cost) if I want, but I see no need. I never have a desire to shoot a light weight bullet so it doesn't matter to me. I carry mine 100% of the time, I'll carry a semi auto sometimes but still have the 340 with me.

The only dumb question is the one not asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach and Holly View Post
    Here's "the real deal": no alloy revo will stand up to repeated firing and magnum loads like a steel one will. Simply not possible.

Since I'm not interested in an uber-light J frame, I haven't followed the Scandiums very closely, but the cracks shown on TGZ are the cracks that show on any high-round count 642 that has reached the end of its service life.(something that, like many inconvenient facts, Speir "forgets" to reference on his site)

These new alloys may not be living up to their marketed potential- I don't know, but, rule of thumb, use .38 loads for practice with a cylinder of "real stuff" thrown in each session when shooting a lightweight revo.

Scandium/Ti guns are too light. (For reference, I've shot a .308 Win pistol). They are the ultimate never-feel-it gun, but they are intrinsically harder to be accurate with, unless you've got several thousand rounds through J frames (the only guy I know who can say this is an instructor with the Rogers school).

If you aren't a narc officer, I'd strongly suggest staying with the 642 for a cost-effective, usable lightweitght J frame.

Sponsored Links