My Colt 1911 Pistol Won't Work!

This is a discussion on My Colt 1911 Pistol Won't Work! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; UNREAL! Counterfeiting my Colt Horsey....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Colt 1911 Pistol Won't Work!

Administrator

Thumbs down

UNREAL!
    Counterfeiting my Colt Horsey.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

I have replaced one part on the Colt Series 70 Government
    Model I paid $235.00 for in 1971. I removed the "collet"
    barrel bushing and replaced it with an Ed Brown "drop-in"
    bushing.
    The collet bushing had never failed, but some respected
    "smiths" had warned me that if it ever broke, I might destroy the
    slide just getting it off. So I replaced it.
    I can't say it helped the accuracy, but it didn't hurt it, either. And
    I feel better about the dependability of the gun.

Walter

Administrator

Collet Bushing

I never had a collet bushing break either.

OD*
    I have seen one, not my gun but a friends, we had to beat the slide off with a rubber mallet. Until then, I had thought is was just one of those stories.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I've seen a few of them Crack or that did crack on used guns

Administrator
    Not doubting that some did crack.

The collet bushing was a decent idea...too bad they didn't just beef them up a little bit back then.

These days with solid barrel bushings custom fit to both the barrel & the slide...no need to look back and wish for the return of the collet bushing.
    Just my opinion.

I've started carrying Powrball in my Kimber Ultra Carry.

OD*
    QK,

Didn't mean to sound as though I was contradicting you amigo, actually I was agreeing for the most part. I have only seen that one break, but some of the writers would have you believe it was a very common occurrence, which personally, I don't believe it is. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

~ Tiger McKee

I was interested to see what he said about lubrication. Some folks here sorta chastised me on another thread about shooting my new H&K USP 45 as it came from the box with just the factory lubrication to see how far she'd go until a jam. I'm finally cleaning her tonight after I take some digital pix of her innards. This gun has gone over 2000 rds without a hiccup. So I can unconditionally say that I'll take an H&K USP to a conflict anytime! But my 1911's need relubing just about every 200 rds. I can barely finish an IDPA match without a field strip & re-lube of a 1911 'cause it gets so fouled.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Administrator

Thumbs up Od

Didn't think for even a minute that you were contradicting me.
    You CAN contradict me anytime you want to though.
    I have a great amount of respect for your "upstairs" 1911 knowledge base.

I think it's interesting that SO MANY of the Accurizer collet bushings never broke as compared to the small number that did break.

Taking into account the incredible amount of fiddling around that was done to every variation of 1911 (past & present) ~~~ that just makes me wonder if their were any other unknown factors involved in each of the few collet bushing breakage incidents.

And then....of course once the Magazine Gun Writers negatively latch onto something...it gets "stuck" with the Gun Mag POX & it's doomed.

A TON of money was made...changing & "switching out" Colt Factory barrels for "Custom" barrels with Hand Fit bushings.
    An entire industry was built up around getting rid of "sloppy & inferior" factory Colt barrels & bushings & the Colt factory barrels were for the most part fantastic & extremely well made.

More about this later...gotta go right now.

OD*
    A TON of money was made...changing & "switching out" Colt Factory barrels for "Custom" barrels with Hand Fit bushings.
    An entire industry was built up around getting rid of "sloppy & inferior" factory Colt barrels & bushings & the Colt factory barrels were for the most part fantastic & extremely well made.
    Amen brother!!
    The truly gifted ol' time gunsmiths, Bob Chow, Armand Swenson, Robbie Barrkman etc. knew that too.
    That's why they would go to all the trouble of welding-up and re-milling the lugs if needed, you wouldn't bother to do that with inferior barrels to start with.

(thanks for the kind words QK)

~ Tiger McKee

Need the Recommendations of Knowledgeable Folks

I was playing ( unloaded , of course) with my brother's old .45 Combat Commander. Since he passed away - it is one of few things I have to remember him by. Anyway, while I was playing, I noticed that then I released the slide - that the hammer jumped to half cock safety. I thought it strange. I then tried to fire the pistol without engaging the backstrap safety. And, the damned thing fired. My brother was a target shooter in the 1980's. And, this Colt shows signs of it being customized. I did a search on the net to try to understand these findings - and ran into this 2006 article that mentions exactly what my brother's Colt is doing. Hammer Follow. The things that I've noticed on my brother's Colt, that may be responsible for this hammer follow, and grip safety firing problem are : *) plastic beaver tail safety, *) polymer back strap, *) barrel bushing is after market, *) slide stop lever, is after market, *) and suspect that this Colt has had a trigger job done to it., *) the guide rod looks after market.

What I'd like to know is what parts would I replace to fix the "HAMMER FOLLOW" problem. Where should I get reliable parts from? I'd like to keep the Colt like my brother left it, and feel that most of the problems are likely with internal parts that would not changed the appearance that my brother created. Any ideas - please

OD*
    As to the hammer follow, the parts you mentioned shouldn't have anything to do with the hammer follow, you need to have someone competent look at the, sear, hammer, and disconnector. The grip safety itself may have been pinned or disabled in another way, if the pistol is a Combat Commander, your brother was probably a "combat shooter" and not a "target shooter" (if you mean he competed in organized shoots), Combat Commander's aren't normally used as "target" guns.

~ Tiger McKee

OD - Thank you for your reply. Which springs would be involved in an issue of hammer follow? I'd like to understand as much as possible about how and why this may hammer follow occurs - before I take it to a smithy. Do you think replacing the sear, disconnector and related springs back to original colt parts might do something to fix the problem?

Any reference materials you might suggest? That might offer some knowledge on how these parts interact with each other.

Appreciatively,

I had a Colt Magazine that the spring and follower "galloped" out of,musta been chinesey ripoff
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links