Glock .40 Recoil Question or Suggestions for Similar?

This is a discussion on Glock .40 Recoil Question or Suggestions for Similar? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking toward a Glock or S&W pistol in .40 cal. My question is this; How stiff is the recoil of either of these ...

Thread: Glock .40 Recoil Question or Suggestions for Similar?

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar

I am looking toward a Glock or S&W pistol in .40 cal. My question is this; How stiff is the recoil of either of these guns in relation to, say for example, a S&W SW9VE?

Two situations present themselved to me. (One) my local dealer is a "all sales final" type of store. You buy it, it is yours. (note, I can push the issue and he would exchange it for me if necesary but not for others so I am not going to ask for special treatment.)

(Two) I have a banged up strong hand.

My 9mm S&W gives me no problems nor does my LCP -which has a pretty good kick due to it's weightlessness-

I have taken a shine to a bit bigger bore pistol but I don't want to get stuck with something I can't operate skillfully.

Opinions?

Thanks,

Craig
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    My Glock 23 does not hurt my hand like a light snub nose, but it does have a strong recoil, much more than my compact 1911.

jfl
    After I got arthritis in my right wrist, I thought my shooting days were over.
    I started to lookk for a .380 to replace my G-26.
    Found that the .380 have a sharper recoil because they are "blow-back"actions.

I got a ported barrel for my G-26, it sure helps; check the pix here

Also, I found (in the Glock manuals) that a G-26 (9mm) with a longer barrel (borrowed from my G-19) will have the same ballistic energy the a G-27 (.40).

But whatever you do, by all means shoot a box of ammo in the model of gun you plan to buy before you commit.

Good luck.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

VIP Member
    I find there is a significant difference in the felt recoil between a 9mm and .40 cal. Also remember the weight of the gun itself will make a difference. A gun that is heavier will help tame the recoil more than a Glock or other "plastic" gun.

I don't find my Glock-36 (.45) to be a tough shooter, but this is all relative.
    No one can tell you about what it might feel like...you have to go shoot one...rent one.
    Most gun shops are not going to take back a gun because you don't like it...now it's used. I understand that...

I can let you shoot a .38 load in my S&W 637 that will be as tough as my Glock-36...but that is still 'relative' information...ya' gotta' try it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Earlier this year I sold a S&W 4013 .40 because I did not like the way it recoiled. The barrel axis was higher and the recoil was snappier. I bought a Glock 27 sub-compact .40 and have no issues shooting it. The Glock has a lower barrel axis and to me it just does not have the kick that the S&W had.

If you do not want or need the sub-compact look at the G 23, it gives you a little more grip.

I also have a Ruger LCP and the best thing I did was to add the Hogue rubber slip on grip. I was surprised how much recoil it absorbs.

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    Earlier this year I sold a S&W 4013 .40 because I did not like the way it recoiled. The barrel axis was higher and the recoil was snappier. I bought a Glock 27 sub-compact .40 and have no issues shooting it. The Glock has a lower barrel axis and to me it just does not have the kick that the S&W had.

If you do not want or need the sub-compact look at the G 23, it gives you a little more grip.

I also have a Ruger LCP and the best thing I did was to add the Hogue rubber slip on grip. I was surprised how much recoil it absorbs.

precisely the info I am looking for. I added a Pachmayr grip to my LCP which made it extremely comfortable for me to shoot. You can see it here

I really appreciate the input from everyone.

Craig
    Diddle
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I find there is a significant difference in the felt recoil between a 9mm and .40 cal. Also remember the weight of the gun itself will make a difference. A gun that is heavier will help tame the recoil more than a Glock or other "plastic" gun.
    Also, exactally where i am going with this. Perhaps a 1911-style as opposed to a, plastic, gun? Something with weight! Any suggestions?
    I want to stay under 600.00$ which opens up the market quiet a bit.

Thanks,

Craig
    Diddle
    NRA Life Member

if you have no problems with a 9mm, get a Glock 19. The insignificant advantage of the larger caliber isn't worth it if you have a hard time with it.
    I carry a G23 at work and a G19 off duty and much prefer the 19.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigStill View Post
    Also, exactally where i am going with this. Perhaps a 1911-style as opposed to a, plastic, gun? Something with weight! Any suggestions?
    I want to stay under 600.00$ which opens up the market quiet a bit.

Thanks,

Craig
    While not a 1911, you might want to look at the CZ 75 P-06. Has enough heft to help tame the recoil of the .40. Size wise it is about the size of a 1911 Commander. I have one that is my EDC gun.

G23... Is simply the most impressive all around gun I have ever owned. If your not used to shooting a 40 cal it might hurt your wrist in the beginning... another idea would be to start with a lower grain bullet and move up to what your comfortable with.

I have a Glock 27, and the recoil is pretty snappy. I compared it to my PPS .40, and the PPS wins "hands down" (pun intended).

I thought the Glock 27 might be useful for my wife, but no way she'll stay with that recoil. Guess I'll just have to keep it and my dilemma will be the PPS or the 27, the 27 or the PPS.........

VIP Member

I found a Baby Eagle easier on the recoil than a glock

if you have no problems with a 9mm, get a Glock 19. The insignificant advantage of the larger caliber isn't worth it if you have a hard time with it.
    I carry a G23 at work and a G19 off duty and much prefer the 19.
    +1 What this guy said

1) If you have no problems with 9mm keep shooting it
    2) The 9mm is a perfectly fine defense round with the right ammo
    3) .40 isnt that much bigger anyway
    4) 9mm is cheaper to shoot

There is a couple of mods you can make to your Glock to reduce felt recoil

- soft rubber grips (Houge Handall)
    - tungstan guide rod for more weight up front
    - dual stage recoil spring
    - a compensator
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

I carry a G23 and I can tell you one thing for sure, the recoil on it is nothing like on a snubbie revolver. The G23 is very manageable. I have had no problem with it at all.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Links