Blueing Cost?

Blueing Cost?

This is a discussion on Blueing Cost? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had a new barrel put on a rifle that I had rechambered. My question is how much should it cost to have the action ...

Thread: Blueing Cost?

Blueing Cost?

I had a new barrel put on a rifle that I had rechambered. My question is how much should it cost to have the action and barrel blued. I would like to have some idea of what is reasonable before I take it to the gunsmith for an estimate. Any advice would be appreciated.

VIP Member
    I know this doesn't really answer your question, but what you will pay in TN could be more or less than what I would have to pay in VA. My suggestion would be call around several places close to you and get an average cost for your area.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I know this doesn't really answer your question, but what you will pay in TN could be more or less than what I would have to pay in VA. My suggestion would be call around several places close to you and get an average cost for your area.
    Yep.

Around here a action, barrel, and assorted small parts (screws, safety lever, etc) run $80 to $100 [assuming you also want it polished and depending on the level of polish -- high polish, satin polish, bead blasted, etc.]

FWIIW -- I usually have the scope mount & rings done to match and it still comes in at around $100. Last job was Mauser 98, action, barrel, and 23 assorted small parts, high gloss @ $100.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    I don't know what bluing products are on the market these days, and perhaps nowadays the only way to get a gun blued is professionally. However, I know that in the ancient past I have purchased and blued a rifle. The bluing agent was inexpensive and it took only a short time to get the job done. But then, that was 50 years ago. Maybe EPA or someone took the product off the shelf.
    You could ask around in a gun store or look around and see if it is a job you want to do on your own.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I don't know what bluing products are on the market these days, and perhaps nowadays the only way to get a gun blued is professionally. However, I know that in the ancient past I have purchased and blued a rifle. The bluing agent was inexpensive and it took only a short time to get the job done. But then, that was 50 years ago. Maybe EPA or someone took the product off the shelf.
    You could ask around in a gun store or look around and see if it is a job you want to do on your own.
    Yep.

Then, there is bluing & there is bluing.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links