Another gun 'just goes off' (LEO's gun bites owner)

This is a discussion on Another gun 'just goes off' (LEO's gun bites owner) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Cop Shot in the Leg With Own Gun | NBC San Diego A San Diego police officer shot himself in the leg Sunday in City ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another gun 'just goes off' (LEO's gun bites owner)

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Another gun 'just goes off' (LEO's gun bites owner)

Cop Shot in the Leg With Own Gun | NBC San Diego

A San Diego police officer shot himself in the leg Sunday in City Heights.

His gun “popped” out of his holster during a foot chase in the 3200 block of Marlborough Avenue and fired, Sgt. Art Campa said.

He was chasing several people at the time suspected of tampering with vehicles around 1:20 a.m.

"He's fine, no damage to his leg that's causing any concern," Campa said. "It was just muscle tissue."

The officer was hospitalized but was expected to be released Sunday.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If it happened as the story says I think it is time for him to get a new weapon, it's obvious his is malfunctioning.
    Last edited by archer51; May 17th, 2009 at 11:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Yikes.

This is one reason I don't carry chambered in some places, perhaps a crowded gym for example. I know, I know, I regularly carry chambered and don't want to rehash the topic, but these kinds of stories just give me the willies as I imagine them happening to me...

Glad he's ok!
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

How ? did he have federal primers and a floating firing pin or something ? and even then how ??. Makes you wonder when you consider what it takes to set a gun off.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

This is why they recalled the LCP's...gunblast did a little video with snapcaps as well with a pre-recall LCP and dropped it 5-6 times -- the result was tiny dents in the primer. But it's not unheard of for a handgun to go off when dropped (although extremely rare obviously)...anyone remember that poor guy on here who was cleaning his bathroom or something, gun fell out, went off, and put a big hole in his floor.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Possible causes:

1. His holster is defective.

2. He did not holster his weapon correctly.

3. He was carrying the gun in his hand while running and had an ND during the chase and made up a story to deflect any trouble from himself for not following Department policy.

4. A combination of a defective holster/mis-used holster and a defective weapon (it went off when dropped after all).

I'd like the know what any safety review finds out.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Possible causes:

3. He was carrying the gun in his hand while running and had an ND during the chase and made up a story to deflect any trouble from himself for not following Department policy.

4. A combination of a defective holster/mis-used holster and a defective weapon (it went off when dropped after all).

Bingo! I think we have a winner here.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I was thinking crappy or defective holster led to gun starting to fall out. He realized it too late and when gun was falling went to grab it and bang.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Possible causes:

+1 My thoughts exactly. Either defective/ improper holstering, or carrying in hand during chase. I wish we knew the actual facts of this story.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

BKS
    My bet is he was running with the gun in his hand, finger on the trigger and a sympathetic muscle reaction caused a neglgent discharge in his leg.

I'm also having a hard time believing the story as it's told. In order for this to happen:
    1) Holster would have to have been defective or improperly used, allowing the gun to fall out.
    2) Gun would have had to fire when dropped (very unlikely with modern designs of good quality.
    3) Gun hits the ground in such a way as to be pointing at him when it fired.

We're talking about the "perfect storm" of bad occurrences here. I think it's much more likely that he either tried to catch it when it fell, or he had it in his hand and didn't want to admit it.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Bingo! I think we have a winner here.
    Agreed.
    Going by logic, his story defies logic.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by BKS View Post
    My bet is he was running with the gun in his hand, finger on the trigger and a sympathetic muscle reaction caused a neglgent discharge in his leg.

This sounds more like what happened. You never know unless the department has an investigation and in this case they still might never find out.

Don't know wherein it stated the gun was an LCP??????????

My bet would have been it to have been the all time champion shootyourselfspecial...........as produced by Herr Glock.

Can anyone state for sure just what the type was?

Personally, I'd subscribe to the running with piece in hand theory, further I'd bet that if so it WAS the shootyourselfspecial!

Quote Originally Posted by dogrunner View Post
    the all time champion shootyourselfspecial...........as produced by Herr Glock.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links