Hi-cap 1911 experiences, anyone?

This is a discussion on Hi-cap 1911 experiences, anyone? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone own or have experience shooting a so-called "hi-cap" 1911 (12 - 14 rounds per mag)? This would be something along the lines of a ...

Thread: Hi-cap 1911 experiences, anyone?

Question Hi-cap 1911 experiences, anyone?

Anyone own or have experience shooting a so-called "hi-cap" 1911 (12 - 14 rounds per mag)? This would be something along the lines of a Kimber Ten II or a Para-Ord P14-45.

1911s feel a lot more comfortable in my hand than a Glock, and I seem to naturally shoot smaller groups with them, too. My only thing is, as long as I'm upgrading to a 1911, I'm looking for something that holds more than 8 + 1 rounds. So, if you've shot one, how did you think it compared to a regular 1911, as far as fit, function and feel? Any pros or cons about it?

I'm trying to find somewhere in my area that I can actually lay hands on one and maybe even shoot it... but until then, I'd appreciate hearing from others that have shot one.

Thanks,
    P8triot

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    I've had three hi-cap Paras.

They ran well for me, mags are expensive. You will definitely NEED a sturdy belt and holster.

Regarding Paras, either go with a Stainless gun or don't be pissed when the Parakote finish looks like crap after 6 months of regular carry.

Another option is STI, haven't had one, but have been drooling over a 4.15 "Tactical" or a Fusion Wide Body 1911 (STI Frame) Commander in 9mm.

I haven't dealt with the Kimber models, I eye-balled a few and wasn't happy with how the polymer framed double stack 1911s of that sort were pieced together, the steel parts looked like they were added as an after thought.

There are a couple of other misc. options, Springfield has a doublestack "GI" style gun, but it's pretty bare bones, and IIRC Charles Daly makes a double stak gun that's also pretty close to stock.

VIP Member
    I run a double stack Para P16-40 to compete and a P14-40 for carry. No problems with either gun. Para is running a deal to get 3 extra mags for $25 each.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

My Para 18-9 came with 3 Hi-Cap Mags as standard. Ive got medium sized hands and the double stack is fine, not too large at all.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

I have a Para P13 that is my favorite carry. I also have a P14. I have had no problems with them. The P13 conceals well. I carry two magazines on the weak side. It fits my hand well and I can draw it from concealment reasonably fast. (so to speak). The P14 is a bit heaver, so I don't usually carry it for long periods (4 to 6 hours). The P13 I carry for 10 or 12 hours without a problem. As mentioned you will need a good sturdy belt and holster.
    I ordered my rigs from Kirkpatrick Leather.

Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I have a springfield hi cap 1911.I use it as a range gun.I have numerous spine
    issues and carrying a metal pistol for me is out of the question due to the weight.This is a fine pistol that came through in a loaded verison.

Eye candy. Check these pictures out
    SVI

Steer away from Para Kimber etc. STI preferably from Dawson or Brazos (they tune it for your taste and function test it) or if you have the $ SV
    I carry a gun cause I can't carry a cop.

If you can find a Wilson Combat KZ model. Had a KZ9 and was a very good gun. They have currently stopped producing the original and are coming out with an upgrade, which in my mind wasn't needed. (guess they forgot to ask)

I have shot STI high-caps ever since the first Strayer-Tripp frames hit the IPSC scene back in the early 90s.... The caliber to go with back then was the .38 super, I would still rather have that then a 9mm.

One of my carry guns is a high-cap STI .38 super with a Kart barrel; My gunsmith tuned the extractor for rimless rounds, which allows me to carry 9x23 winchester 125gr silvertips in the gun. With muzzle velocity at 1550fps, they are pretty spiffy.

The 19 round capacity doesn't hurt either.......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

If you wanted to go to the mid to lower level. I read where Taurus was going to come out with a hi cap in all calibers. .38 super, 9mm, .40 and .45.

Thanks, ya'll. Looks like it's time to lay hands on one and see how it feels. :-)

Links