Would You Buy a 10mm Handgun Today?

This is a discussion on Would You Buy a 10mm Handgun Today? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I try to stay with NATO rounds. As long as we have armies there will be ammo....

View Poll Results: Would You Buy a 10mm Handgun Today?

Voters
195. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, that is a fantastic cartridge to have.

95 48.72%
  • No, it's becoming obsolete. I'll pass.

100 51.28%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would You Buy a 10mm Handgun Today?

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I try to stay with NATO rounds. As long as we have armies there will be ammo.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

2. Remove Ads

I think the 10mm has enjoyed something of a rebirth lately. I definitely would buy one. No doubt. Very powerful round...and definitely has many applications.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Not for me, thanks. I've shot several, and I hate the percussion from the 10mm. It is the loudest, sharpest, most painful (to me) of any pistol round. Even with ear protection, it hurts my ears when I shoot it. I would never buy a 10mm, for those reasons. Balisticly, I love the 10mm, but the percussion is enough to ruin it for me.

OMOYMV
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Yes and will the next good deal on a G20
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I'll stick with my 45acp.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    The poll did not list an applicable choice for me. The 10mm is NOT obsolete, and is a very valid cartridge for some applications. OTOH, the platforms in which it is currently available do not appeal to me. I did have a G29 during my Glock days, but got away from Glocks, for various reasons. Large-frame Glocks and N-frame revolvers are too big for my hands. 1911 pistols must be specifically modified to work well for me, with what I have seen described as a "high-cut" front strap, and a quite high-swept beavertail. The "Witness" pistols seem to be prone to problems in 10mm, and the slide serrations do not appeal to me. A 10mm weapon therefore being a custom proposition at this time, I am not sure the 10mm is worth that much trouble.

I would like to see a 10mm carbine, if made to a high standard of quality.

If, after I retire, and therefore no longer have to carry DA .40 autopistols, and decide to go back to packing a 1911, I might revisit the prospect of a custom 10mm 1911. Or, perhaps someone will engineer a really good aftermarket Glock trigger, and I will revisit Glocks. Perhaps a 10mm Glock with a real trigger system, and a grip reduction, would be nice.
    Last edited by Rexster; May 20th, 2009 at 10:25 AM. Reason: typo

Would not go with 10mm, I am looking to scale back to only 1 type of ammo. I would like that to be the 45ACP
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Yes. I even had a Hi-Cap 1911 customized for 10mm. I can shoot both .40 and 10mm through this gun with just a barrel and recoil spring swap.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    Regardless if recoil bothers you or not, the biggest problem I see with a 10mm is unless, you’re of pretty good size the recoil is going to be too much for you to be able to deliver multi rounds on target quickly.
    This is an excellent point. While the 10mm might be an amazing cartridge, if you can't comfortably shoot 250 rounds a month, you will be less than effective with it when you need it.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I don't foresee a 10mm in my future. I think the cartridge is very good (ballistic) for defensive purposes, but the lack of popularity deters me from ownership (circular problem I know).

If I were running a military/security/law enforcement agency (where I could obtain standardized ammo in large quantities), it would probably be my caliber of choice. For personal use, I avoid calibers that I can't find at Walmart (ok, I know I can't find any ammo at Walmart these days, but I mean under normal conditions).
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

I'd love to see somebody like Ruger make a carbine chambered for it.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    I already have bought 3 of them. I currently have only one - S&W 1066. I carried this for over a year and loved the firearm and the round. About a year ago I decided that my EDC should have more capacity and use a round that was readily available. Those criteria removed the .45ACP, 10mm, .40S&W, and 357SIG for consideration and left only the 9mm in the group that I was willing to consider. So I sold one 1066 and bought a CZ 75BD to meet the criteria I set. I added Crimson Trace laser grips to help me put rounds on target. Upgraded the recoil spring to handle +P and loaded up with Federal Premium 124 gr. EFMJ.

I still think that of all the guns I own and have shot the S&W 1066 is one of my favorites. For the right price I would add another 10mm to my arsenal.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Oh I would buy two: Glock 20 and Glock 29 in a heartbeat and on the second heartbeat I would buy all the loading gear for the 10mm
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    I would buy another in a heart beat.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

yes I would, I am a big fan.
    NO 3rd party disputes

The power of imagination is the key to life.

It helps you think ahead, consider the possibilities,and prepare you for the future.
    If you lack that ability, you're no different from livestock trapped behind a fence.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links