Would You Buy a 10mm Handgun Today?

This is a discussion on Would You Buy a 10mm Handgun Today? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I wouldn't mind having one of the later model S&W 1076....

View Poll Results: Would You Buy a 10mm Handgun Today?

Voters
195. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, that is a fantastic cartridge to have.

95 48.72%
  • No, it's becoming obsolete. I'll pass.

100 51.28%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would You Buy a 10mm Handgun Today?

I wouldn't mind having one of the later model S&W 1076.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    Yes, and I have the Glock 20 which is a "nightstand gun" and my "goin out in the desert or boonies" gun.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

Just ordered the Witness Hunter in 10MM for traipsin' around in the boonies. I'm off road every day and love the idea of being able to take coyotes and/or groundhogs while doubling as self defense if needed. I own a couple of .45 and .380 semi autos for home defense to about 25 yards. This gun will be strictly for outdoor carry.

My Colt Delta Elite 10mm is used mostly for hunting hogs, and it has a great job of putting the piggies down.
    02PSD4ME

Glock 20SF for the win. The 10mm started to lose its following for a while, but it's front page and back in business right now as far as I'm concerned. Great cartridge.

sing along:

Can I get a Wit-ness!

I think I'd enjoy the capable 10mm cartridge. I've got a .38-40 revolver which uses bullets of the same diameter and weight range (hand load 10mm/.40 component bullets in it from time to time) and when "juiced-up" to 10mm velocities it gives potent performance on varmints. A modern automatic pistol in 10mm would offer practical upper end handgun power.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    Do you guys think it is wise to use a 10mm for your EDC? I mean, could the power be "too much?"

I'd be more likely to use it as a field/hunting cartridge. I like the looks of the plain ol' .45 ACP for self defense if using an automatic pistol.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Never was a good cartridge unless you needed to shoot through car doors etc and and had large strong hands. Possible hunting cartridge but there are other proven hunting cartridges that have been around for a long time.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

Yes, I'd buy one. Mainly because I don't have one yet... haha
    "In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box."
    -- Steve Symms, US Senator from Idaho, 1990

I really like the 10mm. I've been a fan for a long time. I bought one of the first S&W1006s when they came out. I've also had a Delta Elite and a 610 Revolver. Last year I decided I needed another 10mm for a range toy. I ended up buying a 1911 Frame from Brownells, bobtailing it, and then topping it with a Fusion Commander slide and barrel in 10mm. It's the first 1911 I've built. It took a lot of fitting and fiddling to make it work. I ended up getting some 27lb Wolff recoil springs to make it run without battering itself to pieces. I also had to modify the slide stop to prevent it from jumping up and grabbing the slide under recoil. It's not a gun I would carry...just a cool range toy.

My local range runs a semiweekly funshoot. Last time had the 10mm out, we were doing action pistol type stuff and using orange plastic barrels for "cover". The muzzle blast from the 10mm with DoubleTap ammo would knock the barricades over.....

I've got one (Witness Elite Match), it's my third 10mm, and wouldn't mind getting a G29 someday, so, yeah, I'd buy one.

It is a cool cartridge, and, interstingly enough, is a fairly easy to find caliber on my local dealer's shelves...along with .45 Colt, .25 ACP, and .500 S&W...everything else seems to disappear quickly.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Nope, I never saw a need for them in the first place, so they would be a waste of my time. Now if someone gave it to me free, sure.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    Regardless if recoil bothers you or not, the biggest problem I see with a 10mm is unless, you’re of pretty good size the recoil is going to be too much for you to be able to deliver multi rounds on target quickly.
    I"m not all that big and carry a full size Glock 20 daily (180gn XTP about 1300fps). Found there was little recoil or control difference between it and my Glock 27 compact in 40 S&W, have run a lot or rounds through both. Sold the G27 and never looked back. The G20 fits the bill for town or woods carry. Even if recoil did slow follow up shots I'd rather place 2 rounds of 10mm com than 3 of 9mm com.
    If something smaller than the 10mm is needed my choice is the 357 snubbie.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links