Need small firearm with light trigger pull...

This is a discussion on Need small firearm with light trigger pull... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have the LCP right now, and the trigger pull is SO heavy (8 pounds I believe) -- it makes accuracy difficult, especially when trying ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have the LCP right now, and the trigger pull is SO heavy (8 pounds I believe) -- it makes accuracy difficult, especially when trying to fire very quickly, and in a stressful situation. I really like the triggers on the 1911's, I can fire off several rounds in almost under a second...are there any small firearms available (about the size of the LCP) with a trigger like the standard 1911's? The closest I've found is the Cold Defender, but it's still a tad too heavy/bulky for the pocket carry which I really like.

Thanks very much.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach and Holly View Post
    I have the LCP right now, and the trigger pull is SO heavy (8 pounds I believe) -- it makes accuracy difficult, especially when trying to fire very quickly, and in a stressful situation. I really like the triggers on the 1911's, I can fire off several rounds in almost under a second...are there any small firearms available (about the size of the LCP) with a trigger like the standard 1911's? The closest I've found is the Cold Defender, but it's still a tad too heavy/bulky for the pocket carry which I really like.

Thanks very much.
    Might want to take a look at the new SIG P238. I got my hands on one at the NRA convention this weekend and I think it would fit the bill! Not sure when they come out but im sure someone here knows.

You will have to resolve yourself to a "QUEST", but you absolutely cannot go wrong with a Colt Mustang.

GOOD LUCK!!!

That Sig P238 is a neat looking pocket gun. I'd like to see one side by side with the KelTec P-3AT.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    They are out there, but the LCP or 3AT sure isnt it. The new wonder Sig probably has potential, but I havent messed with myself to be ablle to tell you for sure.

I have a J Frame with a Wolff spring kit, its very slick! Also, the Kahr's trigger isnt exactly light, but they are much more smooth.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    They are out there, but the LCP or 3AT sure isnt it. The new wonder Sig probably has potential, but I havent messed with myself to be ablle to tell you for sure.

I have a J Frame with a Wolff spring kit, its very slick! Also, the Kahr's trigger isnt exactly light, but they are much more smooth.
    Are those spring kits hard to install and do they lighten the trigger or just smooth up the action?
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

try a bersa 380 CC , double and single action trigger, but a tad bigger and heavier than the Keltec P3AT, which is what your LCP is an almost exact copy of.
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

Wow, looks very intersting! (The sig) I certainly hope different grips will be available -- when is it set to be released, anyone know?

On a side note, I found this Colt Defender...who wouldn't want to get this for their wife, what a beauty. Colt Ceramic Mustang .380 HER 005 of 100 NIB : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

VIP Member
    If you can find a Colt Mustang it will do what you want though it is still a tad larger than an LCP or KelTec. The new Sig everyone is talking about would be good too if it can be found is really is a Mustang clone.

I'm unfamiliar with the Bersa 380 compact model.

Is this new Sig not smaller than the Colt Def? The pictures of the Sig makes it look smaller...

Might be showing my ignorance here, but doesn't someone make an itty-bitty 1911?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    Have you checked out the new Walther PK380?
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

8lbs is not a heavy DA trigger pull, the size of the gun and grip are probably making it seem like more than it is. An LCP/P3AT/P32, while small, light, and convenient, is not an easy gun to shoot and I'd never recommend one for a beginner. What I would suggest is a small revolver with an exposed hammer like a S&W 637. They are small and light (15oz), can be fired DA or SA, and the actions can be lightened with different springs and easily slicked up by a competent gunsmith. A snub nose revolver is still a handfull and requires plenty of practice but is much easier to learn to shoot well than a tiny auto. Plus they are not subject to limp wristing, magazine issues, FTF, FTE, etc.

Tell you what I did is I got one of those Nagant revolvers before I got my LCP. Once you can hold the Nagant steady while you pull that heavy trigger, the LCP feels like absolutely nothing. I didn't plan it out that way but it sure worked well.

The LCP's trigger pull isn't great but really isn't *that* heavy. You should be able to resolve this with practice, training, and possibly improving grip strength.

Am I wrong to say that it's impossible to shoot the LCP as fast as one could shoot this new Sig, or one with a similar trigger?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links