Rumor: WalMart to stop selling guns and most ammo in 2 years?

This is a discussion on Rumor: WalMart to stop selling guns and most ammo in 2 years? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Could it be there's an opportunity here? Winchester will either have to cease production of the WM "line" or find other distributors to make up ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rumor: WalMart to stop selling guns and most ammo in 2 years?

Senior Moderator
    Could it be there's an opportunity here? Winchester will either have to cease production of the WM "line" or find other distributors to make up the loss.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I do a lot of small ammo purchases from them.....sometimes I'm not in the mood to reload, I ran out of my reloaded stuff, or I visit a range that doesn't allow for reloads.....whenever these events happen: hello local Wal Mart.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaltered
    One of the Wal-Mart's near me just removed ALL of their firearms as of today.

The displays were completely empty with a sign reading "To our customers: This Wal-Mart location will no longer carry firearms."

This is the Wal-Mart at Preston Rd. and SH 121 in northwest Plano, TX. I called two other Wal-Marts in the area and they still carry long-guns, but told me that as of June, they will no longer carry any!

Wow. Sad.
    Well if they are stopping sells in the great state of Texas that doesn't bode well for the rest of the country. Chalk up a victory for the LIBTARDS. I have bought only one gun that I can think of from WM, a Rem BDL 700 in 30.06 for deer hunting and that was 11 years ago when I was 18. I do still buy ammo there from time to time.

True story, I was back in the sporting goods department about a month ago and the clerk was selling 9mm ammo to two guys who obviously did NOT have their green cards. No ID check or anything. They looked like street thugs. I didn't say anything because these two already had me in condition orange before I knew what they were buying. SCARY. It seems like we have more Wal-Mart stories on here then anything else.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I did see an item on the news that said some of the WalMarts would stop selling guns. Didn't say "all," and didn't mention dropping ammo.

Just a short piece, but it sounded like this was happening in some stores due to the lack of sales, nothing to do with any "anti" policy.

I hope they do continue selling ammo, that's where I get my range rounds.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Direct from the Walmartfacts.com/newsdesk/:

As a retailer, we make business decisions every day on what products to offer our customers based on customer demand. In order for each of our stores to be a "store of the community" and offer merchandise that is relevant to that specific community and customer base, we recently made a business decision no longer to offer firearms in approximately 1,000 of our locations.

We began phasing out firearms sales in these stores earlier this year. In stores where there is sufficient demand, nothing will change.

We will continue to evaluate our merchandise selection store-by-store to make sure we remain relevant to the majority of our customers.
    There you go.

mm

The Wallyworld in Salem, NH has stopped selling firearms. They pulled everything from the shelves a few weeks ago. I asked the saelsperson about it and she confirmed that they were pulling firearms in this area but were going to keep the ammo sales for now. I imagine the ammo sales will go the same way in the not to distant future due to unresponsible, unfit, and just plain ridiculous people and/or politicians.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

From what I read on Walmart's own web site, some stores will no longer carry guns because they don't sell enough of them to warrant the shelf-space.

That isn't a "political" decision, just a business decision. Not everything that happens is part of an "anti-gun" conspiracy.

After all, we are talking about a large chain that has a corporate-level policy against posting "no firearms" signs in their stores.

mm

Quote Originally Posted by madmike
    From what I read on Walmart's own web site, some stores will no longer carry guns because they don't sell enough of them to warrant the shelf-space.

That isn't a "political" decision, just a business decision. Not everything that happens is part of an "anti-gun" conspiracy.

After all, we are talking about a large chain that has a corporate-level policy against posting "no firearms" signs in their stores.

mm
    You may be right to a degree. In the Salem store, the same area shared by the ammo counter held the rotating firearms rack. There were 2 of them, one on each side of the counter area. Removing those racks made no more usable floor and/or shelf space available for anything else.

You may be right MIke, but neither of us will certainly never believe everything we read. In this case, the Wallyworld in question just happens to be only a few short miles from the border of the anti-hell state of Mass. who happens to blame a good portion of their gun/crime problem on the firearms laws, or comlpete lack thereof according to Boston officials, of NH. Buisness decision? I'm not buying it..
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Well Geeze, I agree with it looking more like a business decision than anti-gun.
    Gart Sports made a similar decision a few months ago. I happened to be in our local Gart Store the day before it closed down the gun counter. I was there to purchase some 9MM ammo that was on sale cheaper than Wall Mart sells the same ammo for. I ended up buying a case.

Now, as I write this, I am listening to the NRA radio broadcast (replay on-line) and they are talking about this very thing. They are commenting how Wall Mart stopped selling pistols a few years ago and that has cut their gun sales by about 50%. Now they are discontinuing more sales because of that 50% reduction in sales.
    Interesting theory.
    Hmmmmm. Whodathunkit?
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

The WSJ had a Wal-Mart article today with three interesting points:

1) About 1,000 of their stores will no longer carry guns or ammo

2) Just not enough demand at those locations to continue

3) It appears the company had compliance problems and legal problems with regulators that were troublesome

Go figure - they were the largest gun retailer in the US.

I live in Rhode Island and 6 months ago all the Walmarts in the state except one stopped selling firearms. They are all currently still selling ammo. Im sure ammo will follow.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    GREAT,they wont be missed by me. Hope they fire the zit faced little "hey dude" that hangs out behind the counter. He can't tell the diff twixed a shotgun and a rifle anyway.

Every time I pass through the department I cringe when outta his squeelie little pie hole comes,"hey dude wuz sappinin' ?? I asked him about 6 months ago if he happened to have any speed loaders for my Ruger Super Blackhawk. Now when I see him he looks as if he is still pondering the question. Ol' Sam would be ashamed fer sure.----------

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Part of my reply to a similar topic in another forum (Northeastshooters.com, which focuses on those of us in the Northeast US) where I am a moderator.

http://northeastshooters.com/vbullet...ead.php?t=6625

NOTE: When you read this keep in mind that in MA, they also need local permits that "can" be issued only by the local police chief (totally discretionary on his part) and that local chief can impose all sorts of BS restrictions on said licenses to sell guns/ammo at Wal-Mart (or any store).

I think there is a bit of BS in the announcement. I think here are some other major contributing factors:

- Local licensing is such a hassle, fraught with restrictions (e.g. Walpole can sell ammo, but nothing for paintball or BBs), and BS about local rules/state laws/mandates by local chiefs/etc.

- Wal-Mart does not pay or treat their employees well enough to hire and KEEP people who are knowledgeable about the gun laws and products. Sell ammo to someone under age (or no LTC/FID) in MA and you lose your MA license to sell!

- I suspect that BATFE and local chiefs have created lots of stink for Wal-Mart corporate to deal with over violations inadvertently done by dumb clerks.

- The politics of selling guns. Local Zoning Board can dictate that they will only give a permit if a store does NOT sell guns/ammo, sell tires/batteries, install car parts/repair cars, etc. I doubt that Avon, Brockton, Boston, etc. would ever issue a building permit to a Wal-Mart that was going to sell ammo or guns (afraid of all the gang-bangers buying their supplies there)!

I have NEVER seen a "good supply" of ammo at any Wal-Mart. Stores like Four Seasons regularly sell more ammo in a couple of hours than any Wal-Mart store I've ever been in has in stock!!

No Wal-Mart that I've ever seen in MA/NH has more than a couple of handfuls of guns. Not much stock, not much selection! NO competition for any real gun store.

Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    GREAT,they wont be missed by me. Hope they fire the zit faced little "hey dude" that hangs out behind the counter. He can't tell the diff twixed a shotgun and a rifle anyway.

Every time I pass through the department I cringe when outta his squeelie little pie hole comes,"hey dude wuz sappinin' ?? I asked him about 6 months ago if he happened to have any speed loaders for my Ruger Super Blackhawk. Now when I see him he looks as if he is still pondering the question. Ol' Sam would be ashamed fer sure.----------

He probably the same type of "dude" that sells ammo to illegals like the one in my town does. Check my previous post and read about that.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links