Rumor: WalMart to stop selling guns and most ammo in 2 years?

This is a discussion on Rumor: WalMart to stop selling guns and most ammo in 2 years? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I guess it would be a bit of a shame because I do buy most of my ammo there. I recognize that I should buy ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rumor: WalMart to stop selling guns and most ammo in 2 years?

I guess it would be a bit of a shame because I do buy most of my ammo there. I recognize that I should buy in bulk, but walmart is pretty convenient. Although, having to explain that I want ball ammo and not JHP every single time I buy ammo from them does get quite old. I had to explain to the guy like 5 times why I didn't want +p .38 ammo for my old lady's 642 (for the range). Granted, I guess I'm paying cheaper prices to justify that customer service though.

On another note, it probably would be good for gun stores all around if they did stop selling.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I really do not understand their marketing stratagies. To me they should go full out with guns,ammo,and associated holsters and stuff like that .....or.....just stop selling guns/shooting stuff altogether.

With their buying power they could give us some really good deals if they were so inclined. Are they pro gun/shooting ??? I think not.

If they turned their entire gun/ammo dept. into a ATV accessories dept. I might frequent their store more often.-----------

Senior Moderator
    Yesterday, I bought 1000 rounds of Winchester from Walmart. They have heard the rumors, but they didn't know yet whether they would continue selling guns.

I paid about $130 for 1000 rounds of factory fresh ammo. I don't know any place that can beat that, plus it is convenient. I realized I was getting low on ammo and just swung by and picked it up.

I find Walmart bashing interesting. It seems they've refined American business to the point that it's become offensive. I hear about the mama and papa shops that are forced to close and that's sad, but in all areas around here where Walmarts have gone in, the economy has improved and more people have jobs than they did before Walmart opened.

The fact may be that WalMart is doing nothing different than Sears, Target, etc., they're just better and more aggressive at it. Sometimes I think it would be interesting to see where we'd be without WalMart. It's easy to see the negative, but the positives are more jobs locally and nationally, competition that keep prices low. And poorer folks can get more bang for there bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    Yesterday, I bought 1000 rounds of Winchester from Walmart. They have heard the rumors, but they didn't know yet whether they would continue selling guns.

I paid about $130 for 1000 rounds of factory fresh ammo. I don't know any place that can beat that, plus it is convenient. I realized I was getting low on ammo and just swung by and picked it up.

I find Walmart bashing interesting. It seems they've refined American business to the point that it's become offensive. I hear about the mama and papa shops that are forced to close and that's sad, but in all areas around here where Walmarts have gone in, the economy has improved and more people have jobs than they did before Walmart opened.

The fact may be that WalMart is doing nothing different than Sears, Target, etc., they're just better and more aggressive at it. Sometimes I think it would be interesting to see where we'd be without WalMart. It's easy to see the negative, but the positives are more jobs locally and nationally, competition that keep prices low. And poorer folks can get more bang for there bucks.

I have mixed feelings on WM. Locally, I'll buy 22 rimfire when available in the brand and caliber I want, but their inventory is so thin I rarely get the volume I want.

They have refined, and continue to refine, a great low cost retail business model that is incredibly successful. They employ a lot of people (ignoring wage and other issues), make more selections and quality available for more people, they are sometimes convenient, and yes, they do compete with small retailers.

Competition is one of the things that made America great, and the strongest military and economic power in the world (ignore for a moment our natural resources). Mom and pop stores will survive IFF they bring something more to the customer: service, individual attention, a more reliable shopping experience, unique products (not anything that can be commoditized), experienced sales staff, etc. The Mom and pop store selling a commodity at higher prices with a take it or leave it attitude will probably fail, whether right or wrong.

So, I try not to bash WM, I sometimes do, I try to frequent local retailers, but WM is here to stay for now, like it or not. The American mentality is to sometimes just bash big powerful interests and businesses (see oil companies today, the oil companies in the early 1900's, Microsoft, etc.) - its in our collective psych to not trust big businesses.

I just wish I'd bought a truckload of their stock 25 years ago!

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    This weekend I went to WM to buy some ammo. They started carrying some stuff called Blazer Brass, it was cheap, so I picked up two boxes. Anyway, the guy that helped me was the best Sporting Goods Assocate I have ever met there. We chated about his new XD9, and he even gave me a couple of good fishing spots to check out. I was totally surprised. I know this is the exception, not the rule though. I just hope he's there next time I go in.
    Curry

Is the brass the CCI Blazer Brass?? I shoot the aluminum case Blazer 9mm 115gr myself - extremely reliable. Mine used to be $3.86 per 50, now its $4.96 at Academy. I'll start checking WM here for the Blazer.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Posted today in the business section of today's Atlanta Journal Constitution:

"Because of pressure from critics and an effort to stock products that are "relevant" to any "specific community," Wal-Mart pulled firearms off its shelves at about 1,000 stores. "In stores where there is sufficient demand nothing will change."

I intrepret this to mean that in inner-cities and "upscale" suburbs where the soccer moms shop you won't be able to buy ammo or firearms. If you live among the Bubbas and Biffs (for you yankees) I guess you can still buy a gun.

I'm still chalking this up to Wal-Mart cowering in the face of "critics."
    Wal-Mart seems determined to save face to improve their image. The real problems with Wal-Mart aren't the guns, it's the selling out of Americans by buying cheaper foreign made goods and selling them to us. 15-20 years ago Wal-Mart proudly advertised that it sold a majority of goods that were "Made in the USA." I know that it is capitalism but dang..........I don't care about Chung Lee in a Beijing factory, I care about Chuck Lee in a Detroit factory.

Anyway I'm getting off the soapbox and heading to Wal-Mart to buy more stuff.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Lightbulb

well Doc it's like this..how much more does a Kimber cost than a Rock Island Armory ? twice maybe ? close enough..btw I don't buy anything shooting related at Wal Mart because I knew someday it would come down to this
    "You have enemies ? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life" Winston Churchill

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use" Galileo Galilei

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links